Author Topic: Views on Rip stop canvas  (Read 4559 times)

Offline BarbnZack

• Learning the Ropes
Views on Rip stop canvas
« on: January 21, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »

Hi all, Barb n Zack here, We are looking to buy a camper and there seems to be a lot of different views on the rip stop canvas, anyone had experience with?

:cheers:

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
Re: Views on Rip stop canvas
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
Having used rip stop canvas on horse rugs for years, I don't think it stops ripping any more than normal canvas. I have seen horses completely destroy a rip stop rug. In saying that, if it is ripping of your canvas that you are worried about, rather than looks, then it might be less prone to it than normal canvas. Personally, I really don't like the look of it, as it reminds me of horse rugs!  ;D

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
 :D Hi Barb and Zack and welcome.  All we were told is that the heavier weight (15oz) were more durable/stronger, so it depends on what and how much you want to use it for, seems generally accepted the Aust made canvas is more durable.

So that being the limit of my knowledge..... how's things and what part of this great land might you be from.
Oh and I think if you do a search there has been comments on canvas types before....

:cheers: Paul
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
Barb and Zack,

Welcome to MySwag, hope you enjoy the forum. You might have opened a can of worms as no doubt there will be lots of different opinions.  :D

We have an Austrack tent which is ripstop on our camper, http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/ and I can honestly say we`ve never had a problem with it. Our camper has had a lot of use in the 2 years that we`ve had it including in torrential rain and more recently in a mini cyclone, during which others were damaged. It has never leaked, nor ripped but has faded a bit.

In saying this I would think there are different qualities available as a lot of the ripstop tents now advertised are less than half the price of the Austrack. I have seen lesser quality ones at Camping Shows.

Cheers, Robyn.

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
G'day Barb and Zack and welcome to Myswag.  Everyone I know with rip stop tents don't seem to have any issues with it. :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:42:23 PM by Snow »
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Dreama

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:42:05 PM »
G'day Barb an Zac,

It took us over 12 months to decide on what to buy and even tho we bought second hand, there was no doubt, ripstop was the only option for us.
Anyway, that is my thought.

Cheers and a big welcome to MYSWAG  :cheers:
It is in my blood to modify

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
Hi BarbnZack and welcome to My Swag

I have had a CT with ripstop canvas for over 2 years and have had no problems yet, but there have been no rips yet either ???

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 02:09:26 PM »
Hi BarnbnZack

Unfortunately I am unable to comment on the canvas however, as others have mentioned, it might be worth your while to do a search on "canvas" on here and see what you come up with. Just use the search box in the top right hand corner of the page (make sure you are on the home page first though).

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
I had (15oz) or 16oz on my Camper and it was heavy, fully extended was 4.2mt x 4mt.

Am looking into getting an Oztent with Australian rip-stop canvas, however with the storage size of 2.1mt long it may be a hassle to store and transport  :'(

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:55 PM »
There is a product that is much better then rip stop. It is a polly cotton canvas called DX-12 it is australian made . It is a little bit dearer of couse that normal canvas. But in my opidion it is far better. It has its pupose like a lot of fabrics do and i think it suits camper trailers down to the ground. I have had to pierce holes in it and I wanted it to tear but it wouldn't. It sews easy too.

You would be best to ask manufacturers what they prefer and what they think will last. 
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
I had (15oz) or 16oz on my Camper and it was heavy, fully extended was 4.2mt x 4mt.

Am looking into getting an Oztent with Australian rip-stop canvas, however with the storage size of 2.1mt long it may be a hassle to store and transport  :'(
A mate has a oztent....rip stop or not he has holes in it and the fibres woven into the canvas did little to stop a small hole getting bigger. I thought it felt a bit lightweight myself. My tent is a fairly old COI Lightning and has done quite a few weeks of camping.Good Aussie canvas is tough. My tent is only 8 and 10oz but it is water tight and no holes.
[insert witty comment]

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »
A mate has a oztent....rip stop or not he has holes in it and the fibres woven into the canvas did little to stop a small hole getting bigger.
I thought it felt a bit lightweight myself.

Thanks for that info
will contact Oztent and check the retails of their warranty   >:D

Offline disco1

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »

Hi

Purchased a R3 oz tent for the MY SWAG meet in S.A last year it a week end of high winds and a lot of rain
  no leaks and nice and snug inside, however one of the rear stays from the back corner of the tent the
  stiching let go I could have tightened it up to much,and the two awning poles when removed for packing up
  because of wind pressure could not be shortened having been jammed ie no twist to enable poles to be
  retracted.
  Solution change of poles from aluminium to galv (adusting screw on outside of pole) sew on rear stay with
  stronger cotton alls well will be taking it to the Cape in June.

Quite happy with the tent quick to put up when packed its 2m long by 350mmx150mm and about 15kgs

Mauri 

Offline BarbnZack

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

BarbnZack