Author Topic: Leadership spill happened...  (Read 26574 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Leadership spill happened...
« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »
Have a look here, as I said bo rule was broken. https://theconversation.com/peter-duttons-decisions-on-the-au-pairs-are-legal-but-there-are-other-considerations-102414

Legally yes...morally..absolutely.  Would you like to have as a judge if you were poor and just a regular joe?  I think not!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »
So after all that has happened, and only 2 weeks on the job, Morrison is leading Shorten by 10 points as preferred prime minister, even though Labor is still the preferred government.

At some point doesn't Shorten have to have a look in the mirror and wonder if he is the right guy for the job?

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2018, 06:44:12 AM »
So after all that has happened, and only 2 weeks on the job, Morrison is leading Shorten by 10 points as preferred prime minister, even though Labor is still the preferred government.

At some point doesn't Shorten have to have a look in the mirror and wonder if he is the right guy for the job?

Didnt the Libs just do suicide by changing leaders?  Labor are not that stupid to change a leader now.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »
Didnt the Libs just do suicide by changing leaders?  Labor are not that stupid to change a leader now.
Don't know if they did. If ScoMo is already well ahead as preferred PM then they won't have to do much more to get ahead as a party. Have never heard anyone say that Bill is their pick as PM.
Will have to wait and see I suppose

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »
Didnt the Libs just do suicide by changing leaders?

Time will tell with the libs, the difference might be Morrison got the gig rather than Dutton which they all must be breathing a sigh of relief about now.

Labor are not that stupid to change a leader now.
I think you give them too much credit, Shorten is about as popular as a fart in an elevator. If the pendulum swing's in the next couple of newspolls he will need to be looking over his shoulder.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:03:48 AM by tryagain »

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
Don't know if they did. If ScoMo is already well ahead as preferred PM then they won't have to do much more to get ahead as a party. Have never heard anyone say that Bill is their pick as PM.
Will have to wait and see I suppose
Libs just lost Wagga after holding it for 60 years.
I know that’s state, but most of the interviews I saw on polling day where pretty clear that the federal debacle was a big factor in how they voted that day.
That and lots of comments about not wanting to be in safe seat anymore so they could get some funding for their local projects.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »

Turnbull was the preferred leader in those polls whilst he was PM I think from memory, but Labor was ahead on 2 party preferred polls. From memory Shorten was about 4th in those polls as a preferred leader, behind several other Liberal Party people aswell at Turnbull
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Leadership spill happened...
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »
From memory Shorten was about 4th in those polls as a preferred leader, behind several other Liberal Party people aswell at Turnbull

Pretty sure Shorten was about 8th on the preferred PM list.
He was still trailing Bubbles the clown, Coco the monkey and that octopus that was picking World Cup winners on the last polls that I saw....   :cup:

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
does anyone really take any notice of these polls?  About as fair dinkum as politicians.. and depends which newspaper does it as to who is in front.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »
If Bill were to resign gracefully without the protracted navel gazing and infighting then I think that would be accepted well (or at least better) by the public. In addition, Labour isn't governing so I believe the change would not be perceived as poorly as it is not changing the PM, just the Muppet on the other side of the house.

It is the internal bickering that gets to me.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »
Quote from: Bunyip
It is the internal bickering that gets to me.
its the blatant breaking of laws and getting away with it, the lies and deceit that gets me
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:47 PM »
Libs just lost Wagga after holding it for 60 years.
I know that’s state, but most of the interviews I saw on polling day where pretty clear that the federal debacle was a big factor in how they voted that day.
That and lots of comments about not wanting to be in safe seat anymore so they could get some funding for their local projects.

Yep they have but from what I have heard reported Labour didn't gain any votes. I wonder if the people are protesting against Turnbull being removed or the whole sorry federal situation which includes the lot of them. Shorten is as crooked as a dog's hind leg and some of the things that come out of most of the minor parties and independents mouths confirm for me that the whole show is a complete mess.

Someone reminded me once "Do you vote for the PM or do you vote for who you perceive to be your best local member". If people voted in Wagga because of Turnbull and not who their best candidate would be then more fool them. 

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »
Someone reminded me once "Do you vote for the PM or do you vote for who you perceive to be your best local member". If people voted in Wagga because of Turnbull and not who their best candidate would be then more fool them.
That’s why I still struggle to understand how for over 23 years the now infamous Peter Slipper was deemed to be our best local member, then it was Mal Brough (what a champion he was) and now some other guy I’ve never seen or heard of “representing” me.

There’s been a pattern forming in my electret since 1983, and it ain’t voting for the best local member.....

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
does anyone really take any notice of these polls? 

I think the pollies must, both majors have now gotten rid of a sitting PM twice in recent years based on them.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
... and now some other guy I’ve never seen or heard of “representing” me.
I think thats the majority of us sadly.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
I think thats the majority of us sadly.

We have Barnyard "representing" us... no one can forget that... the sooner Adam Marshall decides to step up the better...

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
That’s why I still struggle to understand how for over 23 years the now infamous Peter Slipper was deemed to be our best local member, then it was Mal Brough (what a champion he was) and now some other guy I’ve never seen or heard of “representing” me.

There’s been a pattern forming in my electret since 1983, and it ain’t voting for the best local member.....

The coast has always been liberal. Thats been our downfall. Libs know we'll vote them in so give us nothing, when labour get in they know we didn't vote for them and give us nothing....its a win win for the policitians. Your local member now is a bloke called Ted O"Brien, who was my school captain at Nudgee when I was in grade 11. Nice enough bloke but...meh. His parents own a holiday house opposite the Junior SLSC on KIngs Beach, so thats his local tie I think.

Noosa's local member is Sandy Bolton, who was the lady who lost the last mayoral race to our total fwit mayor, backed by the local green groups, she's pretty good, but from my conversations with her they still all do sweet ****all.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »
If Bill were to resign gracefully without the protracted navel gazing and infighting then I think that would be accepted well (or at least better) by the public. In addition, Labour isn't governing so I believe the change would not be perceived as poorly as it is not changing the PM, just the Muppet on the other side of the house.

This is what I was thinking. I doubt many people would care too much if the opposition party changed leader, but when you get elected to government with a certain PM and switch halfway through people get irritated.
I think labor are in with a good chance of taking government next time around, but they could probably improve their chances by putting someone more popular at the helm now. Of course, after the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd fiasco they made it a lot harder for the party to get rid of a dud leader, so they have that to live with too...

I'm not saying I want a labor government (not saying I want libs either), but jeez Bill, you have to realise nobody likes you!

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2018, 07:34:37 PM »

I'm not saying I want a labor government (not saying I want libs either), but jeez Bill, you have to realise nobody likes you!

No he doesn't, he's surrounded by Toadies and 'yes people' and he's imsulated very well from all the dislike and resentment directed towards himself.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »
No he doesn't, he's surrounded by Toadies and 'yes people' and he's imsulated very well from all the dislike and resentment directed towards himself.

Anyhow didn't KRudd change the rules within the Labor camp so the elected Leader couldn't be stabbed and replaced as easily as he was and as he did?
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
Anyhow didn't KRudd change the rules within the Labor camp so the elected Leader couldn't be stabbed and replaced as easily as he was and as he did?

Not as easily, but still doable from my recollection, basically it was 60% of MP's required to call as spill against an opposition leader and 75% against a sitting PM, BUT from memory it would only take 50% of MP's to change the rule, and as we saw with Turnbull (and other sitting PM's before him) if 30-40% of your party doesn't support you its fatal, is just a matter of when not if.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2018, 10:34:25 PM »
Not as easily, but still doable from my recollection, basically it was 60% of MP's required to call as spill against an opposition leader and 75% against a sitting PM, BUT from memory it would only take 50% of MP's to change the rule, and as we saw with Turnbull (and other sitting PM's before him) if 30-40% of your party doesn't support you its fatal, is just a matter of when not if.

I never took much notice at teh time, just remember KRudd gloating about his 'protection' when Abbott was stabbed. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2018, 10:45:55 PM »
The recent by election in Wagga. The swing from libs to SFFP was like 30% , the greens polled like a 1/4 of their normal vote. The media might like to focus on the “feel good story “ that feds played a role but it’s crap. People are sick off the two parties . And rural areas are sick of being ruled by MacQuarrie street
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:50:42 PM by achjimmy »
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim