Author Topic: HELPING HAND FOR THE FARMERS  (Read 5682 times)

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
HELPING HAND FOR THE FARMERS
« on: August 11, 2018, 11:24:44 AM »
As everyone is (or should be) aware, with the ongoing drought, the situation for many NSW and Queensland farmers in particular, is now reaching the critical stage, with many farmers now literally on their last legs.

Most farmers have kept their problems to themselves and have been battling the drought for years, but have now reached the point where their reserves are 99.8% depleted and are at an absolute crisis point, which is why they are finally asking for help.

Unfortunately, for many farmers, they are unable to sell off anymore stock as the animals are in such poor condition. This in turn has led some poor blokes to sink to total despair and take their own lives. Suicides in the bush have increased 70 - 100%. One desperate bloke, after being unable to sell his cattle due to their poor condition, took them home, shot them, then shot himself. An absolute tragedy.

Any help that the rest of us can give is desperately needed and thoroughly appreciated. There are many organisations that are doing their best to help and donations can be made to them, such as Apex, Rotary, 4x4 clubs, facebook groups, school groups, Today show and many more. Even if it ultimately doesn't save individual farms from the drought, showing we all care could result in saving farmers lives by letting them know that people cared about them enough to help and that they are not alone.

In the meantime, through friends of family, I personally know of some farmers at Bathurst who have less then 4 weeks supply of hay and have no reserves for anymore, even their pantries are basically empty. They have applied for assistance but have not received any. They have already reduced their sheep numbers by 80% to stay alive and now only have a few hundred left, and these are in too poor a condition for market. They don't know what else to do.

My appeal here is, does anyone know somewhere within a few hours of Sydney where we can source hay, especially lucerne hay, at a reasonable price, as the ewes are lambing and need good nourishment. I have a crane truck that carries 7 tons so transport is not a problem. I have seen hay advertised on Gumtree etc and would need around $4000 to buy a load which would keep this particular farm in feed for a month. Also looking for a source for Sheep Nuts. A few friends have said they will chip in to help financially which is fantastic.

If anyone has any ideas, please share. I have tried some of the existing support groups but they are all under such massive strain already. This is just a way of helping one farming family to stay alive. After all, no farmers means no food. Thanks everyone.

Cheers, Tim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:26:31 AM by avotrol »
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: HELPING HAND FOR THE FARMERS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
Hopefully now that the media are running with it things may start to finally happen. The more big companies get on board the more that will hopefully follow, even if it is just for bragging rights. If they’re going to tip in, let em brag as long as it’s helping these families out. I know I’m now contributing each month and while it’s not a huge amount if everyone can just put in a little bit, it’ll soon add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
So long as any money's donated goes to where is should. I'm pretty sure that all what was raised for Black Saturday bushfires did not make it into the hands of those affected, despite what the Government tells us.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »
So long as any money's donated goes to where is should. I'm pretty sure that all what was raised for Black Saturday bushfires did not make it into the hands of those affected, despite what the Government tells us.
They are still working out who to distribute it to.. should only take another 10 -15 years.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
Yep, just like the donated monies for the 2009 wildfires in Vic.
Government stepped in and took it, and the lawyers have been chewing on it ever since.
Meanwhile the deserving victims get a dribble now and again.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 08:46:38 PM »
My concern is not so much for the farmers but for the the animals.

Yes I know where the animals end up but one thing that breaks my heart is seeing a defenseless animal suffer.

Dont get me wrong I feel for the farmer as wel, but we take on our occupation in life knowing what the potential hard times can bring.

I know this post wont be popular but thats just the way it is for me.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 09:24:11 PM »
I know this thread is looking at the need for feed, there are also lots of drives for giving the farm families care packages etc.

Whilst the idea of filling a truck with non-perishables seems great; the effect of that money not being spent in the local town is the next problem that is beginning to pop up... We're already starting to see the drop in spending from the farm families around here, so it's happening already...

Please make sure that the stuff is bought local to the destination - it means that $ is going to do more...

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 10:18:14 PM »
A lot of this is caused by a lack of water as well.
Can't feed them and expect them to survive without water to drink as well, human or animal.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »
A lot of this is caused by a lack of water as well.
Can't feed them and expect them to survive without water to drink as well, human or animal.

This is true in many cases which is why farmers, and even entire towns, are trucking in water. In the case of the farmer that we are trying to help, he is lucky as his sheep can access the Macquarie river (or more like the Macquarie trickle) for a drink, he just can't irrigate from it. So if we can get him feed, thats one more farm saved. In the overall scheme of things its not much, but you have to start somewhere.

Cheers, Tim
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
My concern is not so much for the farmers but for the the animals.

Yes I know where the animals end up but one thing that breaks my heart is seeing a defenseless animal suffer.

Dont get me wrong I feel for the farmer as wel, but we take on our occupation in life knowing what the potential hard times can bring.

I know this post wont be popular but thats just the way it is for me.

I,m with you mate.  Humans have an absolute choice on how they handle their life.  Animals are at our mercy and far too many times are forgotten, mistreated or just left for dead.  Just shows what a pathetic lifeform man really is when he cant look after the less fortunate in the world..including his fellow man!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
I wonder what infastructure is being considered to try and alleviate the effects of the drought for the future.

Mrk
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
See the government is hitting back over all the negative comments being made through online forums etc. They say don't believe everything you read on them. We don't send that much money overseas. It's less than .1% of the budget. And it's needed on an international basis. Isn't there a saying that goes like "charity begins at home". The second part is "and it get sent to overseas."

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
Quote from: McGirr
I wonder what infastructure is being considered to try and alleviate the effects of the drought for the future.

Hope you dont expect our pollys  to give a Shit?
Simple solution to them would be sell it to the Chinese and let them do something with it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »

Mrk

Shouldn't this comment be in the "funnies" section???
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
For those who say the farmers have a choice, I just want to toss a few points out for consideration. Coming from a farming family, and raised in a farming community, with family and some of my closest friends still on the land... well, perhaps I have a different perspective.

- Yes, they have a choice. But for those who were born and raised on these farms, well, some have less "choice" than you realise. Take the situation where parents either pass away, are in ill health, or age means they're unable to continue. Many kids raised on the land feel a certain obligation to continue the family legacy. I know they're not tied down with chains to the land. But for some of them it is "their cross to bear" as generations of their families did before, it's in their blood, and there's a lot of pride and responsibility not to let it fall apart on their watch.

- Many farms, particularly today, rely on a large amount of debt. It may not be entirely the fault of the younger generation who are now in charge. Some inherit properties with massive amounts of debt where they could walk away, sell the farm, and still be paying the banks of for years to come without ever taking out a loan themselves. You're talking properties worth millions, owned by a single person, a couple, or a family in many cases. For many, they hope each year that the "product" they sell (whether that be meat, fleece, milk, crops, etc.) covers their costs. Some (many?) don't pay themselves a wage. If they did walk away, what does their future look like? Will they be able to get a job? Buy even a basic home in town? Or will they always be going backwards saddled with the debt they were unfortunate enough to be born into (or have got into themselves taking a gamble, hoping for the days when it did rain, when stock or crop prices go up, etc.?)?

- A lot of farmers would be considered "unskilled labour" in the wider workforce. Some have no qualifications to their name. No formal licences for some of the machinery they learned how to operate out of necessity. Nothing other than a lifetime of learning picked up from farm work. Sure they have skills. Many farmers I know can fix anything, build anything, nurse stock through ill health, educate their children, etc. But they have nothing on paper to prove it. And as self-employed people, they don't even have someone who can act as a real referee and back up the experience they have. How does someone in that situation start over? What about when they're 60, flat broke, and up to their eyeballs in debt?

I get why a bullet to the head looks like the only way out in times like this. You're talking about people who have been self-reliant, resourceful, and tough seeing themselves flat out of options. For them in that moment there really is no hope.

I really feel for the farmers - the men, women and families who bust their gut to put food on our tables, clothes on our backs, etc. No one is denying that the suffering of livestock on a scale like this is anything less of devastating, least of all the farmers. The thought of their animals suffering sickens those I know on the land, keeps them up at night long before you see a trace of it on the news. No farmer I know is in this gig just for the pay cheque. Their farms are their heart and soul and all they know how to do. Believe me when I say they care about the welfare of their stock more than you or I ever could. It is far more than just a job to them. They know no other way of life. To them, farming IS their life.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:20:01 PM by trinityalyce »
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com
The following users thanked this post: pommiedic, paceman, jayjay, Fizzie, IanS

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »
Well stated.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
Trinityalyce, great post well articulated and spot on. :cup:
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Troopy greg

• Swag User
  • Old school troopy
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
Great post Trinityalice spot on I come from farming stock but the family sold out of it when I was young even back then it amounted to nothing financially other than no more debt
With these fines the government is issuing to the banking sector I would hope they consider using some if not all to help the farmers and even start planning a way to “drought proof” some areas.
Old school Troopy with lots of fruit now with a new lifestyle Breakaway ultra

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
Great post Trinityalice spot on I come from farming stock but the family sold out of it when I was young even back then it amounted to nothing financially other than no more debt
With these fines the government is issuing to the banking sector I would hope they consider using some if not all to help the farmers and even start planning a way to “drought proof” some areas.

Hahaha you’re hilarious.... I don’t think the government really give a toss

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
Quote from: Marcus73
Hahaha you’re hilarious.... I don’t think the government really give a toss
sadly agree
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »
Hahaha you’re hilarious.... I don’t think the government have the foresight

fixed it for ya >:( >:(
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline camp120

• Sleeping Bag User
  • ITS ALL GOOD.......
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 08:18:24 PM »
Triityalyce,

thanks for a great post,a lot more diplomatic then i would have been.I have grown up and work on farms in central NSW all my life and have never seen it as wide spread as this with no options but to feed or sell,with most having to make this call with in the next month around this area.If people are worried that their money is not making it to the farmers, then have a look for rural events,hook up the camper and support them and their towns,and have an adventure at the same time.

Cheers camp120 
2007 prado vx D4D(418,850km) and going strong.
2011 camprite TL8S (79,000km)and climbing slowly.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
See the government is hitting back over all the negative comments being made through online forums etc. They say don't believe everything you read on them. We don't send that much money overseas. It's less than .1% of the budget. And it's needed on an international basis. Isn't there a saying that goes like "charity begins at home". The second part is "and it get sent to overseas."

The problem with the quote of less than .1% of the budget going to overseas aid etc is that it is borrowed money and what is worse is that what is the percentage then that is going to Australians because I reckon it is a hell of a lot less than the overseas aid budget.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
Triityalyce,

If people are worried that their money is not making it to the farmers, then have a look for rural events,hook up the camper and support them and their towns,and have an adventure at the same time.

Cheers camp120

Couldn't agree more.
Great opportunity to do that 21 till 23 August at the largest Ag show in Australia , AgQuip at Gunnedah. https://fairfaxruralevents.com.au/agquip/home/
Our Van was prepared today ready to roll for the annual pilgrimage to AgQuip. This year the wife is coming so we are doing a circuit back to the Blue Mts, Mudgee, Gunnedah, Moree and then up to Gympie for the Music Muster.
Looking forward to the trip and we have spoken about the opportunity to donate along the way.

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
Yep, mate of mine goes every year to AgQuip and this time I'm finally going too. Have been looking forward to it for ages. Hopefully might make some contacts for sourcing feed.

Am meeting a lady in Tamworth on this weekends hay run (organised by others) from the good people of Nambucca to Tamworth. She voluntarily co-ordinates feed and other donated items to send to farmers all over the west and is flat out. Sadly, she told me that one big problem she has is finding secure places to store the goodies otherwise it gets stolen, not by the farmers, but by low lives who try to profit from it  >:(  >:(  >:(