Author Topic: Water proofing  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Taz64

• Tent User
  • Just because you can, doesn't mean you should
Water proofing
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
Got the CTout for the weekend.  We, my son and grandsons, yes 3 generations, it was fantastic, Cade at Numibah and endured a spectacular lightning and thunder show last night with heavy rain.  I was dry and warm in the bed section, however it would appear the room off the bed had some leakswhich resulted in drips keeping my son awake.
Anyone have some good water proofing suggestions for the CT tent?  The previous owners always covered it with a tarp, so the canvas never got seasoned.
Cheers,

Taz   

2007 Toyota Hilux SR5 Turbo Diesel
Freetime semi-off road camper trailer

Offline Simoncurly

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Water proofing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
Hi,

I have found it's good to use a torch and find out exactly where the drips are coming from.

Based on a lot of nights under canvas in the last 3 years I have found the main problem on our camper was where PVC sections were stitched to the canvas. I used a product called seam grip ( http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx ) which is a polyurethane based product over the top of stitching through PVC. It looks a bit ugly and is not overly cheap but effective.
A cheaper alternative is Selleys all clear which looks even uglier and I have restricted its use to under the floor.

For stitched canvas seams painting on Bradmill canvas proofer inside and out is quite effective or Atsko Silicone water guard which is solvent based.

Be patient and observant. After a bit of diligence I had the satisfaction of a totally dry floor earlier this year after 280mm of rain in 3 days at Nabiac

Good luck

cheers Simon

KingBilly

Re: Water proofing
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
Used the Seam Grip on some tents previously.  Works well.  Put a bit of talcum powder on it after it has dried.  Stops it sticking to itself.

KB