Author Topic: Question on sound systems  (Read 2039 times)

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
Question on sound systems
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
I am pondering what to do about an AV system on my caravan build.  So can I ask a few questions, as a complete dunce and a novice? I have not decided on any brands yet and would also appreciate any advice from anyone who has an integrated system.

1. Can I put a splitter on the TV aerial cable and use the same antenna to service the TV and the AM/FM radio?
2. If I put in bluetooth speakers, can the TV and the radio both connect to them, but not obviously at the same time?
3. Can I rig up additional switchable external bluetooth speakers and are there any complications with this?
4. Can I also have a bluetooth headset and rig it like a speaker?

Many thanks in advance.
Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: Question on sound systems
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »
I am pondering what to do about an AV system on my caravan build.  So can I ask a few questions, as a complete dunce and a novice? I have not decided on any brands yet and would also appreciate any advice from anyone who has an integrated system.

1. Can I put a splitter on the TV aerial cable and use the same antenna to service the TV and the AM/FM radio?
2. If I put in bluetooth speakers, can the TV and the radio both connect to them, but not obviously at the same time?
3. Can I rig up additional switchable external bluetooth speakers and are there any complications with this?
4. Can I also have a bluetooth headset and rig it like a speaker?

Many thanks in advance.
Keith
1. No problems putting in a splitter.  That's how my TV. and home FM radio are connected.  I live a fair way from Melb. so it helps.  Doesn't hurt the TV. either.
2. Where do you get a TV. with Bluetooth Audio out?
3. If you can get a Bluetooth receiver with switchable output. Then it's just a simple matter of getting correctly matched speakers installed or wired in.
One set for inside, and one set for outside.
4. If you can get a TV with Bluetooth Audio out, you should be able to pair it with a Bluetooth Audio Headset.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:15 PM »
Thanks Cruiser
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 12:19:30 AM »
No probs.  If you especially need AM. reception for your radio, you will need an AM. Antenna. 
Most radio's have an inbuilt AM. Antenna, but you can buy/or make one, up to you what you want most.
AM. Antennas can be just a long wire, but you will need to earth the radio.
NEVER connect an Antenna Earth to the House (High Voltage) Earth.
Use a separate Earth spike, and make sure there is a good contact at the top of the spike.
Use some spray paint to seal/weatherproof the connection, once you have it cleaned and assembled tightly.
You can get an Earth Spike from Middy's or L&H or any other Electrical wholesaler, or pester your local Sparky.   ;D
The Sparky may even give you the connector with it.
Or a piece of water pipe 1M. long, driven most of the way into the ground. 
Usually steel, because copper won't take the punishment of being driven into place.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 12:46:10 AM »
No probs.  If you especially need AM. reception for your radio, you will need an AM. Antenna. 
Most radio's have an inbuilt AM. Antenna, but you can buy/or make one, up to you what you want most.
AM. Antennas can be just a long wire, but you will need to earth the radio.
NEVER connect an Antenna Earth to the House (High Voltage) Earth.
Use a separate Earth spike, and make sure there is a good contact at the top of the spike.
Use some spray paint to seal/weatherproof the connection, once you have it cleaned and assembled tightly.
You can get an Earth Spike from Middy's or L&H or any other Electrical wholesaler, or pester your local Sparky.   ;D
The Sparky may even give you the connector with it.
Or a piece of water pipe 1M. long, driven most of the way into the ground. 
Usually steel, because copper won't take the punishment of being driven into place.

Might get a bit tiresome pulling out the earth spike every time you move the caravan to a new camp spot ??     ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
That's what you have a high lift Jack for isn't it? >:D >:D >:D
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

KingBilly

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
Keep your music on your phone of tablet and get a bluetooth portable speaker.  Some great speakers available for under $200.  Most people will be happy with the quality.  No need for any wiring.  Can be used inside and out. Easy to charge.  Easy to replace if it breaks.  And if you need radio, get a decent DAB that also has AM.

KB

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:52 AM »
Thanks KB. I just bought a bluetooth speaker for my daughter for her birthday from Jaycar. Fantastic sound for under a hundred bucks. Didn't think of using one for the van.
Der!!!
Many thanks.
Keith