Author Topic: Bathurst 2016  (Read 52718 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Bathurst 2016
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
Quote from: oldmate
Production car racing???

There is a category for that already and it enjoyable to watch too.
Agree.. its close door banging racing.. if it would get the backing and TV exposure, taxi's would die overnight
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »
Did anyone watch the first part of Brock last night? I'm not sure if it's an accurate depiction, but if it is, he seems a bit of a tosser in the early days

I met Brock twice both times he seemed like he did to all. But I knew somebody who worked for him and he said there was definetly two sides to the guy. He could turn from ragbag to charmer in the spin of head, especially if a camera was within cooee.  No doubt he pocessed a raw talent in a time when the cars responded to that type of driver. In later years 1979 on he pocessed technology courtesy of GMH and harrop that no body else had and that also gave him an advantage. An interesting thing in the BMW years happened at Winton when driving with Richards. Brock insisted that both cars were set up the same way even though Richards had a preference for a different setup. After the race they both recorded simalar times maybe even Richards fractionally faster ? But the tyres on Brock's car were rooted and Jims were still good!
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
Personally, I think Jamie Whincup was a minor party to the dramas. He was the original problem maker but Garth Tander being his typical opportunistic self tried to take advantage of the situation by swerving past, and if Craig McLaughlin had of slowed marginally there would not have been an impact with the red Holden.
Redbull had the best car/driver package and probably deserved the win, and Whincup is a top driver. Many don't like him, but it would be a tough critic to say they don't respect his skills.
McLaughlin is a serious future contender for record making, and as forTander....... a handy sort of driver. Pity she got pregnant and left the sport. Now it's her dickhead husband in the press all the time for having the best seat in what should be a front running team, but can't bring home the bacon.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »
Did anyone watch the first part of Brock last night? I'm not sure if it's an accurate depiction, but if it is, he seems a bit of a tosser in the early days

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 12:43:54 PM by Doggies »
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
Think Tander had a point to prove to...to just about everyone...as he was still smarting from being dumped from HRT.
Red mist always seems to come down in those last few laps....but what happened was just plain crazy.
Winchup appears to me to be more interested in installing himself as a modern day Brock...and is hellbent on creating his own legend.

Very disappointed in Prodrive.....never looked like having the outright speed to match 888....and still keep having issues.....grrrrrr.

Bring on next year I say....go DJR/Penske !!

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2016, 10:29:27 AM »
Agree.. its close door banging racing.. if it would get the backing and TV exposure, taxi's would die overnight

Rubbish. both the notion that a bit of TV would make Prod racing compelling to the punters and the idea that it would kill the V8's
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
Quote from: Joff
and the idea that it would kill the V8's
dunno.. its doing a good enough job on its own...
competitive close racing with .. *gasp* lots of passing would be entertaining wouldn't it?
is there any track the taxi's race on that there is any passing on? not that I watch much, but the Cold Ghost and most others just seem follow the leader.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bathurst 2016
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »
idea that it would kill the V8's

Doesnt have to. Warburton is doing a great job by himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
And to all those that bagging tander for making the most of it?  WTF?  He is a racing driver. 2 other cars came together and slowed dramatically. Why wouldn't he keep going to pass around a car that was probably doing 50 or 60km less at that point when he came up behind. Was he supposed to stop also??
And let the other rest of the Feild behind catch up?  He darted right to avoid 88 and would not of even seen 33 so  close. We are talking .5 sec descisons here.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
He darted right to avoid 88 and would not of even seen 33 so  close. We are talking .5 sec decisions here.

That's partially the point. Split second decisions.
If Tander backed of for a split second it may have all been fine, and I can't see the "whole field" passing in that short time frame.
If Tander actually turned his head he would have seen a blue Volvo entering too fast.
If the Volvo had of backed off marginally there would be no drama.
If Whincup had of not slowed so drastically, no problems.
A lot of if's, and all in split seconds.
But that's what these guys get paid the big bucks for, hours of split second decisions.
Whincup was the only one given a 15 second penalty but partial faults lay on all three drivers, it's just that he was the original instigator but was able to complete the race.
It has been my thought for years that if someone is taken out of the race by the actions of another driver, they should be given points based on a calculation between starting position. position at the time of the accident, what percentage of the race is completed etc.
That way at least a season is not destroyed by a mistake from a competitor.
The other thing I query is penalties for a turning wheel while in the air in the pits.
Is every team monitored for this or is it more based on the better teams that are receiving TV coverage that the marshal's are watching?
While having this whinge, why are the penalties so dramatic that they require drive through's. Why not have a pull off spot on a quiet part of the track where they have to pull to a stop, wait for 5, 10, or 20 seconds, dependent on the seriousness of the crime, and then re-start.
The time to slowly go through pit lane are a game killer for what is often a pretty tame error of judgement.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2016, 12:13:49 PM »
That's partially the point. Split second decisions.
If Tander backed of for a split second it may have all been fine,

and I can't see the "whole field" passing in that short time frame. Never did i say the whole feild passing? funny how people see what they want to see

If Tander actually turned his head he would have seen a blue Volvo entering too fast.  I think he did see it, but was too late. he turned left again a split sec before contact, but 33 was just coming over too quick

If the Volvo had of backed off marginally there would be no drama. Not sure he had too much choice either. like a skating ring on the grass compared to bitumin.

But yes lots of "Ifs and Buts". They dont change the result though.  And car 33 had points removed from his champoinship for the re entry also.

Will be interesting to see the result from the appeal.
The following users thanked this post: Streetkid

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2016, 12:19:32 PM »

Just saw this. ( A link below, for those not on FB i copiedand paste the post from james brock below.

https://www.facebook.com/JimmyThrustor?fref=nf&pnref=story

1 hr · Melbourne, VIC ·

So, umm. I feel I must say something regarding the T.V. show I watched last night, I originally wasn't going to, but after speaking to a few people who contacted me today I felt the need.

To anyone who matters, was there and knows the facts, you undoubtedly feel as I do, that the show was possibly one of the worst bits of "D grade" trash that we have subject to in recent times. That being said I hope none of you take any of it to heart. It is a crying shame that a story that deserved to be told honestly and respectfully has been treated so poorly. Again for those that know the stories, they also know that there was no need for embellishment or distorting of the facts, they were some wild and crazy times and some of the funniest and wrongest stuff I have ever seen and heard about; which would have made for a killer show.

For those who don't know the reality just take it from the people who were around, this show was so far from the truth that you should take it as was hopefully intended, a bit of light entertainment at best, and at worst just the typical sort of disrespectful crap you see in the media in general these days.

I watched it, I laughed so hard at some points because of the terribleness, is that even a word? It should be. I thought there were some good actors in it, and I won't pan them, despite their individual talents even they were unable to make anything of what was a terrible script and terrible production.

Rant ends, you can now go about your business. ; )

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »

Haven't watched it yet...will do when I get home. But I did watch the INXS thing a while ago and I thought the story was rubbish and terribly put together.

More of the same perhaps....will soon see.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:10:30 PM by archer63 »

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2016, 01:20:21 PM »
And to all those that bagging tander for making the most of it?  WTF?  He is a racing driver. 2 other cars came together and slowed dramatically. Why wouldn't he keep going to pass around a car that was probably doing 50 or 60km less at that point when he came up behind. Was he supposed to stop also??
And let the other rest of the Feild behind catch up?  He darted right to avoid 88 and would not of even seen 33 so  close. We are talking .5 sec descisons here.

Totally agree - You could swap out Tander for any other driver in the field in that senario and I would bet my left nut they would have all attempted to get past whincup as he was slowing. Whincup was obviously attempting to redress without losing position to Tander at the same time. It was just bad timing that GT attempted to go around about the same time as Scotty re-entered.

Gotta be Shit for the guys who made the top steps to be wondering if you keep your trophy or not - would kinda put a dampner on the afterparty

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2016, 03:00:32 PM »
If Tander backed of for a split second it may have all been fine, and I can't see the "whole field" passing in that short time frame.
If Tander actually turned his head he would have seen a blue Volvo entering too fast.
If the Volvo had of backed off marginally there would be no drama.
If Whincup had of not slowed so drastically, no problems.
A lot of if's, and all in split seconds.
But that's what these guys get paid the big bucks for, hours of split second decisions.
Whincup was the only one given a 15 second penalty but partial faults lay on all three drivers, it's just that he was the original instigator but was able to complete the race.

It's pretty obvious why Whincup copped a penalty. He went into that corner way too hot, lost the rear and took the Volvo out. It's also pretty obvious he knew he'd done the wrong thing, as he clearly backed off afterwards to let the Volvo pass to 'redress' the error.

Tander did nothing wrong. He is allowed to pass a car which slows in front of him, and he doesn't have to give way to another driver who is attempting to get back onto the track after leaving it.

Bottom line, Whincup caused the whole thing by having a brain fart in thinking he could get a passing move done and deserves a penalty.
Car 33 has copped a points penalty for re-entering the track unsafely.

The Red Bull appeal is absurd. They should just take it on the chin and move on.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
It's pretty obvious why Whincup copped a penalty. He went into that corner way too hot, lost the rear and took the Volvo out. It's also pretty obvious he knew he'd done the wrong thing, as he clearly backed off afterwards to let the Volvo pass to 'redress' the error.

Tander did nothing wrong. He is allowed to pass a car which slows in front of him, and he doesn't have to give way to another driver who is attempting to get back onto the track after leaving it.

Bottom line, Whincup caused the whole thing by having a brain fart in thinking he could get a passing move done and deserves a penalty.
Car 33 has copped a points penalty for re-entering the track unsafely.

The Red Bull appeal is absurd. They should just take it on the chin and move on.

:cup:

And a kick in the arse for a redress on the racing line and in a point of high acceleration.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »
 :cup: to the last two posts.

I reckon a whole lot of the carnage could've been avoided if Whincup did his "redressing" somewhere other than the racing line, where it looked like Tander made two attempts to get passed, and had to check his run both times. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding this though.

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
You guys have rocks in ya heads. there are no rules about redressing off the racing line. Wincup is expected to slow to the let the other car pass. He's under no obligation to get of the line. Unless he did something against the rules in the second part of that foray then he deserves no penalty regardless whether anyone here thinks he should.

I dont like him much but he was robbed, and probably robbed because Bargwanna doesn't like him
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2016, 04:10:50 PM »
I dont like him much but he was robbed, and probably robbed because Bargwanna doesn't like him

Oh yeah, I forgot about that
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »
Having just got home from Bathurst all i can say to those that reckon Supercars is dead or dying perhaps should go and have a look at it first hand. It was just as busy or busier than ever and merchandise alley was doing enormous business
The camping, although still no good for sleeping is getting very family friendly and there are thousands of kids up there now. The coppers will not stand for any nonsense and any body who trys to push  it gets to pack up their gear in the company of about 15 coppers,  have their ticket taken off them and is marched out of the camping area, if they are caught in there again they get a bed free of charge for the night.
As for 888 appealing the penalty, why wouldnt they, this is big expensive business
I didnt get to watch the Brocky show but I have worked for him years ago and know there was two sides to the guy, as there is with most people. Having said that he is one of my heros and apart from being a very special driver was always the last to leave autograph sessions and always had the upmost respect for his fans especially the kid

And no Bird i didnt even watch the whole race, first 10 laps from the start line, second 10 and last 50 at hell corner rest of the time watched a bit on telly drinking $3 cans of Jimmy rather than trying to drink $8 cans of rat poison they call Woodstock mid strength. Does anybody in this world drink that midstrength Coopers? Surely supercars can find a better alcohol sponsor, should be their number one priority

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »
You guys have rocks in ya heads. there are no rules about redressing off the racing line. Wincup is expected to slow to the let the other car pass. He's under no obligation to get of the line. Unless he did something against the rules in the second part of that foray then he deserves no penalty regardless whether anyone here thinks he should.

I'm pretty sure the penalty he got was for punting the 33 car off the track.
His attempt to redress wasn't successful, so he got a penalty for the original infringement.
He wasn't robbed. He clearly caused the whole thing and should take his medicine.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)
The following users thanked this post: Footy Shorts Shane

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bathurst 2016
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure the penalty he got was for punting the 33 car off the track.
His attempt to redress wasn't successful, so he got a penalty for the original infringement.
He wasn't robbed. He clearly caused the whole thing and should take his medicine.

Actually he didn't.  (Edit). Yes it was for the hit. J read a report themst said it wasn't. But the results from boss man have come out and his hit on 33 was what coped him the 15 sec.  and because of below. Lol

He just got it cause he's a moron. Should give him one every race when he turns up,   Oh yeah and bargs don't like him. Hey I'd give him one too
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:43:58 PM by oldmate »

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
Actually he didn't.

He just got it cause he's a moron. Should give him one every race when he turns up,   Oh yeah and bargs don't like him. Hey I'd give him one too
You dont need to give him a penalty, lately he been doing a pretty good job of giving them to himself. Shame Gizzy run out of rubber at the end but the Teckno boys are worthy winners

The following users thanked this post: Footy Shorts Shane

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
Lets not forget Donald Trump in all of this either.

He's to blame for a lot of things and I fail to see why he shouldn't shoulder some blame here.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.
The following users thanked this post: oldmate

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »
Maybe his hair got in Whincups way