Author Topic: Make our immigrant kin feel welcome on Australia day  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Xfigio

• Swag User
Make our immigrant kin feel welcome on Australia day
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »
If you're camping this Australia day, make an effort to make foreign born Aussies feel welcome. 

It can be rather confronting with the racist minority, so be a beacon of true Aussiness to our kin that look and speak a little differently.
Loving life with my family

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Make our immigrant kin feel welcome on Australia day
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Ka kite anau

Offline steppenwolf

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:45:26 PM »
My family were boat people - 1790 Second Fleet Irish convicts, no say in the matter - some of whom were the descendants of French Huguenot refugees who fled religious persecution and ended up in Ireland. I know EXACTLY what you're on about, Xfigio. Would be great to camp near you.

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »
For out Filipino Friends - MABUHAY (Welcome)...
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »

More political correctness, give me a break.
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 08:58:10 AM »
I don't understand this thread?
If I'm camping, fishing, at a sporting event, eating out et cetera, I don't give a tinkers cuss what the bloke next to me looks like. If they're there, they're there for the same reasons. I'll talk to anyone. Some people seem to have media induced issues.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline torsion

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
WTF is this bullShit thread on about  >:(

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »
Well this thread should be gone by the end of the day.! All because somebody said say hi to a new Aussie...... :cup:

Good one guys,, you make me feel so proud.! :'(

BHG The Pom.!

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
Well this thread should be gone by the end of the day.! All because somebody said say hi to a new Aussie...... :cup:

Good one guys,, you make me feel so proud.! :'(

BHG The Pom.!
Mate, those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.   :cheers:

Just a pity to see yet another swagger who doesn't fit the majority 'group think' cop a pasting for making a suggestion outside the 'stereotype'.

2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Xfigio

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
Seeing as torsion so eloquently asked the purpose of this thread, I'll provide some background.

As a WASP with the slightest of accents, I have whilst camping on several Australia Day weekends, been admonished by a group of drunken gents or teenagers for not being Australian enough to partake in "their" day.  We now only camp in isolated locations or in well managed parks on this weekend, because while it may sound like I'm just being soft, it's not nice being made to feel like an outsider, and when the drinks keep flowing and the bravado gets louder, it gets very uncomfortable when all that separates me and my family from the "true Aussies" is a piece of canvas.

Now I know most are not like this, and have never had problems on any other weekend, but for some reason, Australia Day make a small element go stupid.

Now the reason for the thread... If me with the slight accent attracts this behaviour, I can only imagine what those who look different, or have a strong accent have to deal with. 

So on Australia Day, I make an extra effort, and was simply suggesting that others may like to too, say hi and strike up a "camping friendship" with the obvious foreigner, as this would go a long way to neutralize the negative feelings should they too find themselves at the receiving end of a bigoted tyrade.

While some no doubt consider this political correctness gone mad, I see this rather as neighborly, considerate and courteous, but each to their own.

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
You got my vote "mate".  Cheers
 BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
I think what I stated may have been misconstrued here. What I was getting at was that it doesn't & shouldn't have to be a special day to be polite to someone who isn't a "True Blue Aussie". I have had the pleasure of being a referee for someone gaining their citizenship (albeit a long a painful process for them as they were married to an Aussie! But that's another story in itself)  & have no problem with anyone's origin, & I think we've all had to put up with the Yobbos when camping at some time.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »
Agree with the OP - and if you don't' like the thread just ignore and go elsewhere and post. 
I mostly refrain from commenting on posts I find offensive, ignorant or inane as this forum and others are not here to debate politics, religion and/or racial issues. Only creates disharmony.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline graham

• I used to cruise, now i just PATROL
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • nrnr62
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 06:22:31 PM »
Xfigio , or anyone else for that matter , you would be welcome in my camp , just as much as I would like to be welcomed into your camp , when I popped over , hopefully you turn a blind eye to negative comments , and keep getting out I sure the positives will far out way the negatives
Xfigio keep travelling ,being in Tas you will meet plenty of great people , and if you come over to the big island give us a yell , I'm in the next street over Victoria , come say hello
Cheers
What is a WASP
Cheers again
nrnr62

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
I don't give a chit what flavor you are, so long as you come here and embrace our culture and leave your culture that you fled behind!  ;)

Live by our way of life and our values and not by what you left behind.  :cheers: If what you left behind was so good, why did you leave it?  ??? This is not directed at the original OP.

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 06:44:25 PM »
Seeing as torsion so eloquently asked the purpose of this thread, I'll provide some background.

As a WASP with the slightest of accents, I have whilst camping on several Australia Day weekends, been admonished by a group of drunken gents or teenagers for not being Australian enough to partake in "their" day.  We now only camp in isolated locations or in well managed parks on this weekend, because while it may sound like I'm just being soft, it's not nice being made to feel like an outsider, and when the drinks keep flowing and the bravado gets louder, it gets very uncomfortable when all that separates me and my family from the "true Aussies" is a piece of canvas.

Now I know most are not like this, and have never had problems on any other weekend, but for some reason, Australia Day make a small element go stupid.

Now the reason for the thread... If me with the slight accent attracts this behaviour, I can only imagine what those who look different, or have a strong accent have to deal with. 

So on Australia Day, I make an extra effort, and was simply suggesting that others may like to too, say hi and strike up a "camping friendship" with the obvious foreigner, as this would go a long way to neutralize the negative feelings should they too find themselves at the receiving end of a bigoted tyrade.

While some no doubt consider this political correctness gone mad, I see this rather as neighborly, considerate and courteous, but each to their own.

Mate I am 5th generation Australian and I don't camp on Australia Day for the reasons above. Just like after this past Xmas I have decided to no longer camp at Xmas. In the park we stayed in there was a large number of nationalities camping including people of the Muslim faith. All were courteous and friendly as we were with them.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Xfigio

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »
Cheers Graham.  WASP stands for White Anglo Saxon Protestant. 

Re camping, don't worry, this hasn't stopped us at all, we just factor these things in when we make our plans.  We spend about 40 nights out a year, so do get plenty of camping in, all around the country.  Sitting just outside Coffs at the moment loving the thunderstorms rolling through.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »

HI Xfigio

Nice to see a fellow humanist amongst us.

Have a nice weekend.

cheers
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline graham

• I used to cruise, now i just PATROL
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • nrnr62
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 07:47:21 PM »
Good onya fella , must admit when I seen your reply I thought. You mongrel , that is one of the better places I have been to , and will hopefully get there again this year , good onya ,
Where in Tassie do you hail from  , I had a good mate in Smithton , but I won't hold that against you
nrnr62

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
I don't give a chit what flavor you are, so long as you come here and embrace our culture and leave your culture that you fled behind!  ;)

Live by our way of life and our values and not by what you left behind.  :cheers: If what you left behind was so good, why did you leave it?  ??? This is not directed at the original OP.

Foo

I'm sure the Aboriginals thought the same after Cook landed  8)
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »
xFigio don't worry about it, don't know how many generations of aussie I go back but that didn't stop two boat loads of drunken bums paying out on us on Australia Day up the Murray two years ago, the crap went on for about half an hour, in front of all our kids and grandkids all because one of them didn't like the way we looked at him. Were not brave enough to come into shore though. Call to 000 and they were met at the boat ramp with some questions to answer made us feel a bit better though
Unfortunately you get a few but  enjoy the day, we always do with a family holiday on the banks of the Murray

Offline steppenwolf

• Swag User
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »
An inspirational thread. Thank you everyone who has made a positive contribution to my life, on a day when apparently I chose a Pom multimillionaire as a suitable recipient for an "honour". That's politics, you're the real world.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
Give um an A4 with their name on it to say you have been signed up , then give a tube of Gum Tree to tell to get well Rooted in the country . Give them a Lamington to feel at home  or a slice of Pav with cream & tinned fruit .
 That is all they need then put them to work doing all the S31t jobs we wont do  There great blokes for doing that for us  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:03 AM »
Should of been camping with us on the weekend, I am Aussie, we had a German, a few kiwis, a South African family, and some bloke from Logan. What a great weekend we had. :cheers:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/