Author Topic: Towns with Aboriginal Names  (Read 53868 times)

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
Towns with Aboriginal Names
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:26 PM »
Hi Swaggers
How many people here have travelled through different Australian towns, with Aboriginal names, and found out the definition of those names.  A couple of examples: Woomera (throwing handle for spears), Kalkarindgi (running water meeting place).  It would be so interesting to know how many people have thought about finding out if there is a definition for a town name.
Actually, there are quite a few City suburbs with Aboriginal names as well.
Regards
Tjupurula
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:19:45 AM by Tjupurula »

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Towns with Aboriginal Names
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »
Spent a few months at Kapooka....
Got the meaning drummed into us all through basic, then found out first hand where the meaning came from lol
The name Kapooka is derived from the local Indigenous dialect meaning 'place of wind'

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
No....Upper Swan in Perth is not an Aboriginal name, and hopefully it does not mean what it sounds like either...poor swan.
Tjupurla

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »
Spent a few months at Kapooka....
Got the meaning drummed into us all through basic, then found out first hand where the meaning came from lol
The name Kapooka is derived from the local Indigenous dialect meaning 'place of wind'

Cheers
Evo

Hi Evo
You wouldn't know by any chance who the local tribe was, would you ?
Tjupurla

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
I went to primary school in Zeerust which is supposed to mean "resting place". Probably not the best name for a school  :D
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
Hi Evo
You wouldn't know by any chance who the local tribe was, would you ?
Tjupurla

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was the Wiradjuri people? as they are the original inhabitants of the wagga wagga area. From memory they were the largest tribe in NSW.
Being that Kapooka is so close to Wagga Wagga, and that it was named from the local dialect then that would be my guess. I have racked my brain but I can't say for certain if that was right or not.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »

I lived in Maroochydore for many years.  Maroochy means Place of the Black Swan I'm told ... although I never blardy saw even one!  As kids we were told of the legends in school.  Natural history fascinated me and still does.

Now Maroochy was this beautiful maiden.  And two tribes tell her story a little differently, but with the same tragic result. 

Tribe 1:  Coolum and Ninderry were great warriors and they fought over her.  Ninderry knocked Coolum's head clean off with his club ... and it fell into the sea ... becoming Mudjimba Island. 

Tribe 2:  Coolum and Ninderry were neighbouring chiefs.  Maroochy lived in Coolum's tribe, but one night Ninderry came and stole her away.  It upset Coolum no end and he went in search of his Maroochy (as I guess you would).  He snuck into Ninderry's camp and stole her back.  Ninderry became enraged and the two tribes had a great war.  Ninderry knocked Coolum's head clean off with his club ... and it fell into the sea ... becoming Mudjimba Island.

Both tribes agree:  Poor Maroochy went into the mountains and cried a river over the loss of Coolum.  The gods were angry with Ninderry and turned him into a rock that faces both Maroochy and Coolum so he'd remember his bad behaviour.  Coolum was so lost without the bonnie lass that the gods felt sorry for him and turned him into a great mountain looking over the river from a distance ... I guess they thought that he'd like to see the dark sparkle of her eye in the river.  Coolum's mum was distraught and lived her remaining days on Coolum's head ... which is why they also call it Old Woman Island (as well as Mudjimba). 

The Glasshouse Mountains have aboriginal legends behind them.    That's a much longer one and for another day.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
Wirrabarra SA,  forest with running water

crackacoldie

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
Have spent a lot of time in Ceduna over the years, meaning "a place of rest"

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but I think it was the Wiradjuri people? as they are the original inhabitants of the wagga wagga area. From memory they were the largest tribe in NSW.
Being that Kapooka is so close to Wagga Wagga, and that it was named from the local dialect then that would be my guess. I have racked my brain but I can't say for certain if that was right or not.

Cheers
Evo

Sorry it took me a while to come back to you Evo, but my daughter has been talking to her husband, who is in the ADF.  Yes it was the Wiradjuri people (spelling) as he also did time there, as a black man from here, he spoke to the Elders there prior to doing his training.
Regards
Tjupurla

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
Biloela is generally believed to be Aboriginal for 'black or white cockatoo' ......
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Have spent a lot of time in Ceduna over the years, meaning "a place of rest"

That is correct Cracka, Pitjatjantjarra is one of the several languages that I speak, and Ceduna is in their lands.
Regards
Tjupurla

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »
Biloela is generally believed to be Aboriginal for 'black or white cockatoo' ......

I believe it is in Warlipiri, Matjinjatjarra, Wongi, Muntu Muntu and a few others as well, and changes between black and white cockatoo, depending on location.
Tjupurula

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »

I lived in Maroochydore for many years.  Maroochy means Place of the Black Swan I'm told ... although I never blardy saw even one!  As kids we were told of the legends in school.  Natural history fascinated me and still does.

Now Maroochy was this beautiful maiden.  And two tribes tell her story a little differently, but with the same tragic result. 

Tribe 1:  Coolum and Ninderry were great warriors and they fought over her.  Ninderry knocked Coolum's head clean off with his club ... and it fell into the sea ... becoming Mudjimba Island. 

Tribe 2:  Coolum and Ninderry were neighbouring chiefs.  Maroochy lived in Coolum's tribe, but one night Ninderry came and stole her away.  It upset Coolum no end and he went in search of his Maroochy (as I guess you would).  He snuck into Ninderry's camp and stole her back.  Ninderry became enraged and the two tribes had a great war.  Ninderry knocked Coolum's head clean off with his club ... and it fell into the sea ... becoming Mudjimba Island.

Both tribes agree:  Poor Maroochy went into the mountains and cried a river over the loss of Coolum.  The gods were angry with Ninderry and turned him into a rock that faces both Maroochy and Coolum so he'd remember his bad behaviour.  Coolum was so lost without the bonnie lass that the gods felt sorry for him and turned him into a great mountain looking over the river from a distance ... I guess they thought that he'd like to see the dark sparkle of her eye in the river.  Coolum's mum was distraught and lived her remaining days on Coolum's head ... which is why they also call it Old Woman Island (as well as Mudjimba). 

The Glasshouse Mountains have aboriginal legends behind them.    That's a much longer one and for another day.

Kit_e

May I have your consent to share that Dreaming with my grandchildren.  I am sure they would love to hear how some places were formed in country other than their own.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Wuzgonna

• Tent User
Towns with Aboriginal Names
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
I grew up Maroubra NSW 2035
Aboriginal meaning thunder or windy place!

That's all I know about it for now!
, The old rig gone but not forgotten...

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
May I have your consent to share that Dreaming with my grandchildren.  I am sure they would love to hear how some places were formed in country other than their own.
Regards
Tjupurula

You don't need my consent TJ ... I'm a white sheila so the story doesn't belong to me ... and it's freely available for all to share off the internet.   ;)  I'll bet your grandkids would love it, so do share it with them!  I googled the legend of the Glasshouse Mountains for you too ... they'd love that one.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Hogie

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »
No....Upper Swan in Perth is not an Aboriginal name, and hopefully it does not mean what it sounds like either...poor swan.
Tjupurla

A little OT but I do remember pissing myself laughing at a classified I read in the local paper a few years ago where it read "Lost horse found Upper Swan".... Must have been one friggin huge swan...
2010 ST Patrol
2012 Camprite TX6

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »
What great topics you start.... How many of us would have no idea about the names and what they mean. Hey, you staying in at home still or .....
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline brocky05fj

• Swag User
  • All Terrain CT. 03 TD Jackaroo
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
I live in Berowra which is reported to mean 'Place of many winds'
Next suburb up is Cowan 'Big Water or The Big Water'

Great topic

When life smothers you in molasses - make Rum.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »
What great topics you start.... How many of us would have no idea about the names and what they mean. Hey, you staying in at home still or .....

Hey Steve, your home town of Broome has a traditional Bardi name, so when are you ging to find out what it is and what it means ?  I already know.
Incidentally, the nurses are basically going day by day with my health, so I cannot answer that quetion.  I know if it comes to the worst, I am going to end my life in country, not in some town or city.
Regards
Tjupurula
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:52:24 PM by Tjupurula »

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »
I grew up Maroubra NSW 2035
Aboriginal meaning thunder or windy place!

That's all I know about it for now!

I love that answer Wuzgonna, "Aboriginal meaning".  There are actually over 1500 Aboriginal languages in Australia, but I will do my best through KALRC (Kimberley Aboriginal Language Resource Centre) to find out which language.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline Hogie

• Swag User
2010 ST Patrol
2012 Camprite TX6

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
Hey Steve, your home town of Broome has a traditional Bardi name, so when are you ging to find out what it is and what it means ?  I already know.
Incidentally, the nurses are basically going day by day with my health, so I cannot answer that quetion.  I know if it comes to the worst, I am going to end my life in country, not in some town or city.
Regards
Tjupurula

Mate, you can just stick around thanks... I'm going to get that answer tomorrow then. I did know that it was Bardi but never thought to ask what it meant - I know, bad form. I will in the morning at work.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »
Landgate has a good listing of WA town/suburb name and their history...
http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf/web/History+of+metropolitan+suburb+names
http://www.landgate.wa.gov.au/corporate.nsf/web/History+of+Country+Town+Names

Fair call Hogie, just been to the sites, and I have spotted 7 already that are incorrect.  All too often people that are assumed to be "custodians" are asked, and they often come up with something that sounds good, but irrelevant to the area.  We (Walmajarri people) got upset when it was printed that Kurrurrungku (tribal name for Billiluna) meant "end of track" referring to the CSR.  It actually means Wallaby, nothing more and nothing less.
Regards
Tjupurula
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:27:51 AM by Tjupurula »

Offline Hogie

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 11:15:26 PM »
Fair call Hogie, just been to the sites, and I have spotted 7 already that are incorrect.  All too often people that are assumed to be "custodians" are asked, and they often come up with something that sounds good, but irrlevant to the area.  We (Walmajarri people) got upset when igt was printed that Kurrurrungku (tribal name for Billiluna) meant "end of track" referring to the CSR.  It actually means Wallaby, nothing more and nothing less.
Regards
Tjupurula

Thanks for the info Tjupurula, just goes to show that you can't always rely one he information that's out there.
2010 ST Patrol
2012 Camprite TX6