Author Topic: Man shed to store Camper Trailer - Advice on Companies and Prices  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hi all

We are looking to potentially build a house early in the new year and one of my “must have” items is a big shed in the back yard (will be a 1 acre property).

This would be to store my camper trailer (Jayco Swan) plus will be the iconic man-shed that so much of us dream about.

Ideally I would like a 12x9m.

Obviously there is a lot of different companies out there all at a varying degree of price. Does anyone know a good company who offer good prices? Obviously when building a house you try and save as much money wherever you can. If anyone knows rough prices for a shed of this size (including slab and construction) please share as well.

Thanks!
Agent009
The following users thanked this post: Titfish

Offline J.R

• Tent User
Re: Man shed to store Camper Trailer - Advice on Companies and Prices
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »
I have a total span 6x6 shed.

I also have a Titan 6x6 carport attached to the front of it.

The shed came with the house when we purchased it.

But when I went to look at adding a carport to it, Titan were a lot better in quality and strength.

One thing I learnt, not all sheds aren't 6x6. My Total Span shed it 5.8 x 5.8.

Titan sheds measure 6.1 x 6.2 in size.

If I was to purchase a shed. I would be looking at a Titan.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:58:59 PM by J.R »

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:54:10 PM »
Allow at least an extra metre in the length when you do it.

You'll bring home a tinnie on a trailer one day and not many fit in a 6 metre deep shed.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
Allow at least an extra metre in the length when you do it.

You'll bring home a tinnie on a trailer one day and not many fit in a 6 metre deep shed.
He is looking at a 12mx9m shed so this should not be a problem.
I put up a 12mx8m at the old house and a 15mx5m at the new house. Used Olympic Industries in Adelaide, but that's not much help for you.
Make sure you consider the height as well. Both sheds I did had 3m walls. On the big one we put sliding doors to give enough height to fit a large Mastercraft ski boat and to be able to put the tower up once inside. On the smaller one we used a roller door - less height at the opening, but still enough to open up the Kimberley Kamper or the new Vista once parked.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

galstonjim

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
We have a 16mx12m Ranbuild. I wanted a hoist so went with 5m peak height and 3.8m wall height. Ranbuild isn't a cheap option but there are minor differences such as cast in stirrups for the columns which makes it a lot stronger.

We also have 2 Fair Dinkum sheds (6mx3m) which were cheaper than Ranbuild but the quality is about 90% of the Ranbuild.

A mate has a Best Sheds which are significantly cheaper than the above. But they have standard sizes, use Chinese steel and have a very limited colour palette. If you want the full colourbond range you will pay for it. The quality of the shed seems pretty good if you can live with the standard sizing and colours. Cost saving is evident on the fittings and roller doors etc.

Good luck.

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
I got 2 RanBuild sheds that I joined to make something like a L shaped 4x6 and 5x6. Long edge being 12 metres. My only advice is when comparing apples with apples, check things like thickness of C channels, purlins and sheeting. The bottom line of a cheap shed while good means you can't swing a block and tackle off the frame (as long as its been engineered of course).

Also think about the under roller door height. I got 2.7 high wall but door clearance is 2.1, which means the car plus roof rack cannot fit.

Another great tip is to seal the ridge line to stop wind blown dust and leaves from getting in.

Good luck with the shed hunt.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »
Ranbuild here . I liked the quality. My advise up the roof and wall thickness and go as thick as possible on the c purloin uprights.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Jackdawg

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:00:28 AM »
Mine is 10 years old, so the  cost  installed wont be much of a help to you, but I went 6x6 with a 6x6 carport on the front of it (I new the missus would never get out to open the garage door), with an extra metre of height. Portal framed as I new I would never want to line it, as well as making sure there was a full 6m long span in the car port area so there was no upright at 3m for kids to bang car doors against.

Would have liked it longer, (as my boat and trailer wont fit in the shed, so it lives in the carport with the draw bar sticking out) but as I went portal frame, the shed could only grow in 3m lumps, pockets were not that deep.

Still pretty happy with it.

Offline Agent009

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 02:17:30 PM »
Thanks everyone. Gives us plenty to look at.

Cheers

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
http://www.bestsheds.com.au/

Had a really good experience with these guys.
Good quality - great price.
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!