Author Topic: Water tank plumbing and extras  (Read 2477 times)

ahurle

Water tank plumbing and extras
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi all,
I had a search but I am a photo sort of person.
Can anyone help me with how and where to fit a drain for my water tank. I have a large pipe going from the filler to the side (at the bottom) of the tank.
Also, should I put in a one way valve? and where should I put it. I have an electric tap over the sink and an electric tap on the side of the camper.
If I wre going to put a filter in the line, where should this go?
If anyone has ideas and/or photos it would be great!
Thanks,
Adam.

KingBilly

Re: Water tank plumbing and extras
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:20:55 PM »
You don't normally need to drain your water tank.  Water does NOT go off in the tank.

Most electric pumps have a built in one way valve.  Why do you think you need a one way valve?

Some water pumps have a specific filter to fit them.  Check the pump's website for recommendations.  Or use a simple irrigation filter from Bunnings and cut it into the supply line close to your tank outlet.

KB

ahurle

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
I just thought incase I ever needed to drain the tank I would set it up ready to go. Currently I have a Chinese pump, so who who knows what's on it. Lol

KingBilly

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:46:44 AM »
Close to the tank outlet (which I presume is at the bottom of your water tank), cut the outlet hose and fit a T connector.  Fit the drain tap to the T but make sure it is not hanging too low to get caught up.  While you are underneath, also fit the filter after the T.  You will need some hose clamps to ensure it all stays together and doesn't leak.  Might need a bowl of boiling water to soak the ends of the hose to make them easier to fit over the fittings.  I wouldn't worry too much about fitting a one way valve with an electric pump.  Use it a few times and see how it goes.

Good luck
KB

ahurle

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
I'll test it this weekend and see how it goes.  I reckon I will have to re-jig it tho.  The outlets to the taps are only small 10mm plastic hose.  From the pics I've seen on this forum they have larger hoses?

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
Standard drinking water hose is only 12mm.

KB

ahurle

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
The stuff on mine is roughly 10mm outside diameter!
I will look into it - Probably have to end up installing a new pump, not the chinese one it came with.

ahurle

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »
What size would be a decent/adequate size pump - 11 /lpm?
Adam.

Offline Rottodiver

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Outback camper (western Australia) Gadabout
Water tank plumbing and extras
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
I use a 17 l/pm and it works great for everything I need, can comfortably run the sink and shower at the same time, i guess it also depends how long your hoses are with my shower being a 4 meter hose from the pump to the hot water unit and then a 5 meter hose to the ensuit on the tent,  but I do get a little concerned when it pulses when I use a small amount of water flow and I have bought a cheap one from whitworths as an emergency back up.
Scott