Author Topic: New here and looking at an AussieSwag  (Read 5665 times)

Offline advr

• Learning the Ropes
New here and looking at an AussieSwag
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Hi everyone I'm new here,

Me and my other half are looking at buying a camper trailer and have decided that we would like a hard floor camper trailer.

We are involved with a 4WD club and met friends who have a T-van (we will blame them for introducing us to the idea of hard floor campers) and were sold on getting one of those....until we looked at the prices........ and then thought about the lack of ventilation in the sleeping area......and the price of them!!!

So started the research on other (non T-van) camper trailers.

I am thinking that this may be common to a few but our original idea of what we would spend was around the few thousand mark, then we started looking and that soon increased especially when we narrowed it down to hardfloor.

We are the sort of people who don't mind paying for quality, but it has to be worth it (and still within our budget). We almost looked at a couple of almost new "cheap" hardfloor campers but decided to wait, spend a bit extra and get something that shouldn't let us down and is what we are after for may years to come.

As it happens DP works with someone who has an AussieSwag Rover who was considering selling it, to trade up to a caravan. From what I have read no-one can say a bad thing about the AussieSwags, (apart from maybe not being able to find them for sale second hand or them being out of the budget)

Now I have been trying to get an idea of what is a good price for this sort of camper. I haven't had much luck in finding much which seems to be in the same range.

It is a 2000 model Rover LX (I think), its off-road and has the green canvas sides apparently. The price being thrown around is in the $14K ball park. I believe it has annex and 120L water tank, and I'm pretty sure has the front tool box, not sure of what other extras.

I have heard they were only around the $16K mark new back then which is a big jump to the $40K of todays models. (although by my calculations $16K back then is around $22K in todays prices with inflation) Is there much difference in todays models compared to in 2000? (seems like a big price jump for even just the base models)

I have seen a few "older" models (around the late 80's early 90's) asking around the $5K mark and then there are models in the mid 2000's which are asking around the $25K upwards, so I am hoping the price for this one is good and that it is in good condition.

If anyone can give me any feed back that would be great.

Vanessa

Chris F

Re: New here and looking at an AussieSwag
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
Hi Vanessa,

I'm no expert but I have been looking at the second hand hard floor camper trailer market for about 8 months. I looked at Aussi Swag, Cub, AORC, Kimberly Kamper and a few others. The thing I noticed is that the design and features of most of these campers really stepped up around 2000, and again between 2005 and 2008. Compared to this one I found http://www.exploroz.com/Classifieds/Campers_Trailers.aspx?id=11439 the one you're looking at appears to be a good price. If it is in good condition and has all the features you want it could be your perfect camper. It is amazing how well these top end hard floor campers hold their value. I have ended up buying a new Kimberly Kamper because a late model second hand one isn't much cheaper.
Good luck with your search and make sure you post in the "My camper trailer" thread when you get one.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »

We have a 2010 Rover which we absolutely love.  I was looking at some 2nd hand ads the other day (someone pasted a link somewhere) and thinking that their haven't been all that many changes really ... different coloured canvas and body perhaps, but essentially the same ... that's on the outside of course.

My completely biased opinion being that you couldn't do any better than an AS CT.  Apart from being a well built, sturdy, reliable unit, the after sales (or after, after, after sales) service is second to none.  And to boot ... all AS owners love their campers and take very good care of them.   :cup:

Just my opinion of course.  ;D

Kit_e

Edit:  Those Links

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aussie-Swag-off-Road-Camper-/130685659075?pt=AU_Caravans_RVs&hash=item1e6d78e7c3

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/used/aussie-swag-campers/camping-trailers/

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:08:33 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline bobwhale

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
 Gday vanessa,i have in front of me a 2003 price list of aussie swag campers.The rover was$19,500 inc gst .I  bought a 2003 classic last year for $15,000.oo they were $16,000 brand new .Thirteen years old and still holding their price!!Great trailers ,also depends on what xtras they have,anex etc Love ours off to the gibb in 6WEEKS
yeeha ;D ;D they are verry sought after and hard to find, as Kit-e said they are usuallly well cared for.Good luck with your search cheers Bob w

Offline advr

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
Thanks for that, I guess we will decide after we go and have a look at it on the weekend. From everything I have managed to find out it doesn't seem like the price is unreasonable, and if it really isn't for us then we should be able to turn around and sell it for a similar price. That's another good thing that even as "used" as they are they still seem to hold their value.

I really do hope that it is what we are after, when DP found out that it was the green canvas he was a bit put off, because he likes the look of the newer beige ones, but the beige ones I have managed to find are asking around the $25K mark and are only a couple of years younger and dont seem to be that different to what I am expecting this one to be. So I think I have convinced him that if it is only the difference of canvas colour then I dont think it is worth an extra $10K, green canvas walls are really not that bad, and if it's green and "gold" then it really is Aussie!!

Vanessa

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »
Nothing wrong with the green and gold I talked to Aussie swag last year and to re canvas my 1999 model was only $6500.00 with 2 end walls  :cheers:

Offline advr

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with the green and gold I talked to Aussie swag last year and to re canvas my 1999 model was only $6500.00 with 2 end walls  :cheers:

Thanks for that