Author Topic: SNATCH STRAPS - what are the good ones ?  (Read 45106 times)

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
Re: SNATCH STRAPS - what are the good ones ?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
Does anyone have experience with Ironman recovery gear?
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
Does anyone have experience with Ironman recovery gear?

Some of my gear is Ironman and it has not let me down yet, mostly used for winching though, I dont think I have used the snatch strap yet. It was a large pack which went cheap on ebay a couple of years ago

GG

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
Was told to look for SNATCH STRAPS that are made from 100% high stretch nylon, with as high as possible % stretch rates and that are also rot and mildew resistant and have reinforced eyes.

so I've eliminated the lower % stretch rate brands, and I'm looking at the 26+% stretch rate straps, is not too many of them as most are only in the high 18's to 22%

Getting some good information from various manufacturers now and have come up with this 25OOkg (pull) rated hand winch ($395)
It's rated as 16OOKg lifting capacity too, and comes with 20Mt of 11mm steel rope.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:05:02 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
Mainey, I used to have a hand winch too. But have you ever used one?

They are REALLY hard work and not to be underestimated how physical the process is. It's a young man's tool and why so many now have electric winches. While hand winches certainly have their place, they are really, really hard work  ???

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
Mainey, I used to have a hand winch too.
But have you ever used one?

They are REALLY hard work and not to be underestimated how physical the process is. It's a young man's tool and why so many now have electric winches. While hand winches certainly have their place, they are really, really hard work.

No, have never used one  :-[
but I figure as I can't attach an electric winch to the front of the Ssanyong due to no bullbar, I had better have the next best thing if I'm in a position where I just can't use a snatch strap :'(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:22:32 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
This is my new recovery setup :cheers:

Snatch Strap:
60mm (8,000 kg) x 9m, 100% high stretch (27.5%) nylon, rot & mildew resistant with reinforced eyes:cup:

Extension Strap:
50mm (4,500 kg) x 20m long, Winch Extension Strap, 100% low stretch polyester with reinforced eyes.

Tree Trunk Protector:
75mm (12,000 kg) x 3m long, 100% low stretch polyester with reinforced eyes. 
Shackles:
2 x 16mm Grade S bow shackles. 3.25 tonne WLL.

Drag Chain:
8mm x 5m gold passivated Grade 70 chain, lug-link one end, grab hook other end.

Snatch Block:
8,000 kg capacity block with 125mm diameter sheave with bronze bush and grease nipple. Suits 11mm diameter wire rope

Canvas bag features:
Pockets for tree protector and block
Zip pocket for drag chain
Retaining straps for snatch and extension straps
Loops to attach and retain shackles

I realise it will not suit too many others - but it suits me  :-*

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
Half that crap you won't use without a winch and you still need an equaliser strap
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »
Half that crap you won't use without a winch and you still need an equaliser strap

Thank You

I will add it tomorrow as I've bought the blue manual winch

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
Manual winches are fine to use - a bit of work, but they will get the job done. It feels instinctive to use your arms to push/pull the handle - don't! That is the hard way and you'll tire out quickly. The easier way is to take the handle and hold it to your chest with both hands (you may need to step back if the handle is long). Then, rock back and forth with your legs and do not use your arms/shoulders at all. All the work is done with your legs and the gentle rocking can be done for ages without getting tired.

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
I saw this sometime ago and it stills amazes me how stupid some bloody people can be, it is a long video but really worth a watch just to see all the things you shouldn't do....

Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? >:(

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:52 PM »
Manual winches are fine to use - a bit of work, but they will get the job done.
It feels instinctive to use your arms to push/pull the handle - don't!
That is the hard way and you'll tire out quickly. The easier way is to take the handle and hold it to your chest with both hands (you may need to step back if the handle is long). Then, rock back and forth with your legs and do not use your arms/shoulders at all.
All the work is done with your legs and the gentle rocking can be done for ages without getting tired.

THANK YOU :cup:

I (hope) will remember that when I test it out soon

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
This is my new recovery setup :cheers:
I realise it will not suit too many others - but it suits me  :-*

Not to be Mr negative but initial reaction seeing those pictures - what is it and where from?  Without a brand name it looks like imported gear in a pretty bag direct from ebay that I would not let near my vehicle.  I don't care what it is rated at, if it is not a branded name I have heard about I won't use it, Just Straps, Blackrat, Mean Green, ARB etc.  Rating mean nothing if they are not done by an accredited testing facility.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »
Not to be Mr negative but initial reaction seeing those pictures - what is it and where from? 

Without a brand name it looks like imported gear in a pretty bag direct from ebay that I would not let near my vehicle. 
I don't care what it is rated at, if it is not a branded name I have heard about I won't use it, Just Straps, Blackrat, Mean Green, ARB etc. 

Rating mean nothing if they are not done by an accredited testing facility.

I can absolutely assure you the snatch strap is rated @ 8000Kg by Australian authorities, and it's made here in Australia  :cup:

One strap manufacturer I spoke with today advised me the more % of 'stretch' available in a strap is relevant to the quality of the nylon thread used in the strap.
The less 'stretch' % is only used in the low cost straps that don't allow good rebound, due to their short 'kinetic' energy.
The higher rebound % straps will not break at recommended max ratings due to the extra elasticity in the quality of the nylon material.

It may not be a branded name you have heard about, but it has tech specs that are far higher than most, if not all, of the brands nominated, yes I've checked them out  :-[

Now if the question is asked about the brands of solar panels you sell, are they "brand names" that are well known ?
They may not be, they would be from unheard of manufacturers in China etc, but the panels are still built to a quality specification, and they can compete with well known branded panels available in Australia.

Brand names are only known when companies 'advertise' their brand, however some companies only manufacture for other retailers and distributors and the actual manufacturer is never mentioned in any advertising.

In Australia there are very few snatch strap manufacturers, with many brands coming from the same factory, with the only difference being the colour pigment and choice of cover for the eyelet :cheers:

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
So who is the manufacturer and supplier and was it a good price? 

I was of the impression that Just Straps were the only Aussi strap maker, but this is probably misinformation.

You can not compare solar and straps and as you know there is plenty of dodgy solar coming out of China.  What I sell is sold based on how it has performed when tested here, not based on what the Chinese say it is.

If an imported item is Australian tested and compliant then all good but I would not trust any Chinese testing/quality assurance.  Either way this is a mute point as you say it is Aussi made and tested.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »
Maybe ask ARB to make some recovery points for your ugly duckling
http://www.arb.com.au/media/press/Dec2011_ARBRecoveryPoints.pdf
Following a comprehensive development program, vehicle specific ARB recovery points are now available for the Mazda BT50/Ford Ranger, Toyota HiLux, Nissan GU Patrol and Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series, with more models in the pipeline.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »
Not to be Mr negative but initial reaction seeing those pictures - what is it and where from? 

It's a Nobles kit - http://www.nobles.com.au/products.aspx?doc_id=1208 why he didn't just come out and say that is beyond the comprehension of most normal human beings.  Burnsy, I'm sorry but you are just too normal to understand.

I've used four of their straps and they do the job as well as any other.  Out of the four I've broken three.  But I've also broken other brands as well so I don't think it was the straps' fault.

Good to see Mainey is on form - asks a question, people answer in good faith giving their knowledge and experience, but then get told they are wrong after he has gone and done some 'research', and then goes and ignores all the advice and does what he likes anyway.

Fine form  :cup:

For everyone else that is reading, regardless of if you think you will be pulling out Nissans or Toyotas, you really need front and rear recovery points.  The reality is that you aren't always going to be able about to get pulled out backwards, sometimes you have to do it forwards, and for that you need front recovery points.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:40:40 AM by Symon »
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
 :cup: for Symon writing what everyone else was thinking  ;D

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »
Thank You

I will add it tomorrow as I've bought the blue manual winch
wait till your second hour of using it in 35 degrees, you will hurl it as far as you possibly can.... horrible things
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
Good to see Mainey is on form - asks a question, people answer in good faith giving their knowledge and experience, but then get told they are wrong after he has gone and done some 'research', and then goes and ignores all the advice and does what he likes anyway.

Yes, I asked questions, received advise, most said ARB is their choice - then read the 4wd test where ARB fails the test, see ARB is made in Taiwan, not Australia, ask a strap manufacturer about various aspects of ascertaining the good an bad points of straps, and then made a decision based on their information, after all they made them and they advised me the higher % stretch is a better strap with all other things being equal.

I never said anyone was wrong, they all bought the strap that they wanted to buy at the time, and you bought 4 Nobles straps, probably a few ARB's and other brands too, so you made the same decision as I have, but you did it 4 times  ;D

Maybe you should have said you bought Nobles straps, nobody else has mentioned them so they are not as popular, but they are not heavily advertised as the ARB strap is, but they are made in Australia and tested here too.

The price paid is soon forgotten, as guys have said you need the best equipment available when you have to rely on it to get you out of trouble.

wait till your second hour of using it in 35 degrees, you will hurl it as far as you possibly can.... horrible things

Yes, but is much better than nothing at all
as I can't fit an electric winch to the front of the "ugly duckling"
I can't find a suitable portable in-line electric winch :-[
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:42:29 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
You didn't research that hard as the ARB straps in the article are completely different to the ARB straps they sell today ::)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
Straight from the Noble website "...Nobles also has associations with overseas manufacturers, who produce the latest technology in fibre ropes from UHMWPE to high tenacity Polypropylene and Polyethylene ropes in a variety of constructions to suit the commercial fishing, marine and towage industries..." Looks like they buy their fibre from overseas and perhaps make the strap here. Not what I would call 100% Aussie, but better than most I suppose.

And that 4WD Action report with the ARB issues was old, the new ARB straps are totaly different and pass with flying colours. If one does research, best to do with up to date reports  :angel:

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
You didn't research that hard as the ARB straps in the article are completely different to the ARB straps they sell today ::)

The % stretch information from the manufacturer was the main reason for going with the Nobles strap and not the advertising blurb.

Nobles straps must be good as Symon has bought 4 of them, he would not continue to use the same brand if they were no good so that in itself is good enough for me ;D

that 4WD Action report with the ARB issues was old, the new ARB straps are totaly different and pass with flying colours.
If one does research, best to do with up to date reports

Captain,
have you read the "up to date reports" you have mentioned ??
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 09:53:17 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
Maybe you should have said you bought Nobles straps, nobody else has mentioned them so they are not as popular, but they are not heavily advertised as the ARB strap is, but they are made in Australia and tested here too.

They aren't heavily advertised as the recreational 4x4 market isn't their core business.  Nobles primarily services the industrial sector, ask any crane driver, rigger, dogger, storeman, etc and they will at the very least have heard the name before.  I'm sure Bullivants would also make recovery gear but I bet you'd never see them in a 4x4 magazine.

If you reflect a bit on what I do for a living you may realise where I got the Nobles straps from.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
They aren't heavily advertised as the recreational 4x4 market isn't their core business.  Nobles primarily services the industrial sector, ask any crane driver, rigger, dogger, storeman, etc and they will at the very least have heard the name before. 

I'm sure Bullivants would also make recovery gear but I bet you'd never see them in a 4x4 magazine.

One of the first companies I contacted was Bullivants, they used to sell Kaymar and Spanset straps, but gave me another contact  ;D
They no longer sell snatch straps and are getting rid of what is left of their existing stocks of 4X4 gear
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:04:21 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
Not  sure if this is your total kit or not, but I'd throw in two more rated shackles,  (the cable tie of the vehicle recovery world, in that you can never have enough!) it is rare that a recovery is straight foward, and you often need more shackles.
and not sure if you have one but a winch cable dampener too.

good luck, and hope you dont need to use it often! :D