Author Topic: where to stay in dubbo  (Read 3914 times)

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
where to stay in dubbo
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
ok we want to take the kids to the western plains zoo during the holidays

any suggestions on where to stay and where not to stay ? a caravan park i reakon with a powered site would work,so we can have heating at night.

thanks

craig

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: where to stay in dubbo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »
Big 4 is very close but also a bit pricey !!

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
if you are staying in Dubbo itself, then lock and chain everything that doesnt move up. Richo had $4000 of gear taken out of his GU without permission by the people the police wont charge.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Johnny Trackabout

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • GIDDY UP...WHOO BACK
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
I once stayed at the Rebals MC club outside of town. Had a ball and it was free. The security was great, the beer was cold and the company was fantastic..... recommend it if you can get a foot in the door and if you do...remember what goes on camp stays on camp tiger :angel: I was to scared to stay in town, so this was the best option and can't wait till the day I head back there again and catch up with the boys !

Cheers
JT

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
We stayed at the caravan park at Wellington Caves instead . Clean and quiet. No problems with Wellington locals as far enough out of town. Did a caves tour while there. Around 50 minutes to the Zoo.

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »
We stayed in the Zoo it self, it was fantastic.  They have a permanent tent type set up (with en suite, air con, cement floors...etc) and they have a safari lodge for meals, and entertainment.  The area is well away from the public areas and we had a "behind the scenes tour" which included animal feeding which was unreal.  It includes two day access to the park, bike hire and lunch.  I would recommend it if you have kids.

cheers

Pete

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
thanks everyone

well if security is an issue then the wellington caves area sounds good .would like to stay out at the zoo but i want to stay in out ct .

craig

Offline funnyfarm

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
Narromine has a lovely caravan park and is only about 1/2 hour away. This is where we stayed and the kids loved seeing the local rabbit (having a feast on the vege garden ) and also the frogs when going to the loo at night.

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
Last June we had 5 nights at the Big4 Parklands.

No security issues, had an ensuite site.

If you have a powered site take a heater, we had sub zero's all week.

Here's a vid of our holiday if you are interested 
Small | Large

Grant

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
We did the zoo internal bungalow thing a few years ago before the kids came on the scene. Excellent experience.
We also stayed a Big 4 Dubbo with the kids in NSW October school hols 2009. We didn't have any security issues but that is not saying they don't exist. Kids had a ball with the jumping pillow etc.

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
We stayed in the Zoo it self, it was fantastic.  They have a permanent tent type set up (with en suite, air con, cement floors...etc) and they have a safari lodge for meals, and entertainment.  The area is well away from the public areas and we had a "behind the scenes tour" which included animal feeding which was unreal.  It includes two day access to the park, bike hire and lunch.  I would recommend it if you have kids.

cheers

Pete

We did the same a couple of years ago but it isn't cheap
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:07 PM »
is the food still great  we did it about 6 years ago

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
Last June we had 5 nights at the Big4 Parklands.

No security issues, had an ensuite site.

we are going to be doing that in late august, did you have to ask for a larger site for the CT or are they all big enough?

I hear from a mate down there that the security issues have been fixed up a lot in Dubbo over the last couple of years.  Whole neighbourhoods have been bulldozed in certain parts of town and the troublemakers have moved away.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:47:10 AM by cootha »

Offline res.q.guy

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »
Hi
When we went to the zoo a couple of years ago, we stayed 3 or 4 days at Terramungamine Reserve about 10 or 12  klm Nth of Dubbo (CAW4 - 831). A nice quite spot by the river.
Cheers
Neil

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »
As a nearly local (Narromine is about 25 minutes from Dubbo) I agree that many of the trouble makers have moved on. In fact some of them were moved here  >:( when they pulled the old Gordon estate apart after the riots.

From all acounts the Big 4 is a great park especially if you have kids - it's right on the zoo's doorstep. The other caravan park (I think it's council owed or at least used to be) is in town and is closer to the area where all the trouble used to occur - if there were to be security problems then it's my guess this is where they happened.

Don't miss the old Dubbo jail while you're here. Plenty of fast food joints but if you're after a decent counter meal - go to the Amaroo hotel in the main street they do really good meals at reasonable prices and they were running a buy one get one free on Tues and Fri.

Dubbo is not nearly as bad as people think - it's actually a great little city and I'm sure you'll have  a fantastic time.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Sharshebelle1

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Definitely the Big 4,  there is a safe and easy bike track that goes from the park to the zoo,  you dont have to worry abour parking queues at the zoo. No security issues,  very clean, and great facilities for kids. We had a great time.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:54:54 AM by Sharshebelle1 »
09 Pathfinder
2010 Jayco Eagle Outback.

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
Last time we were over at the zoo ( pre CT days ), we stayed at Naromine at the Peppercorn Motor Inn, friends used to own it  ;D.  The old gaol was well worth the visit too. :cheers:
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.