Author Topic: Kings Big Daddy Swags and alternatives - Feedback wanted  (Read 14501 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Kings Big Daddy Swags and alternatives - Feedback wanted
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29:32 AM »
Quote from: Rumpig
don't have that issue with my Darche swag, it's been in torrential downpours and no sagging issues at all. In saying that, mine has 3 hoop poles and 2 centre spreaders that make it much sturdier then those appear to be https://darche.com.au/product/dirtydee-1100/
3 loops and 2 poles I'd call that a tent lol!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
I have the big daddy swag the one with a less thick mattress, its not a bad bit of kit for the price would defently be better on the market. The swag can sag in the middle but found a couple of bungee cords pulled back to a tent peg will solve it but i dont bother to much, we sleep the misses 4yo and my self in it. Since owning it i havent used my camper for about 7 months just wanted a more basic set up. The swag is warm had it up the lakes in sub zero weather and we were fine. I do use a self inflating mattress in it to make it more comfortable

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »

I have no issues with it being called that, it really is a mini tent.....being I no longer have canvas laying on my face and body like my old canvass swag was, and I  can just about sit upright in this one whilst being trapped inside in torrential rain for over an hour like on a previous trip away, I'll take this style any day over my old style swag.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
Quote from: Rumpig
I have no issues with it being called that, it really is a mini tent.....being I no longer have canvas laying on my face and body like my old canvass swag was, and I  can just about sit upright in this one whilst being trapped inside in torrential rain for over an hour like  a previous trip away, I'll take this style any day over my old style swag.
yep the ability to get changed/dressed etc while staying dry is a huge advantage I reckon. Shitty start to teh day being wet..
Havent used my Burke and Wills double swag in years. Been using the Blackwolf tent, but just bought an Oztent RV1 to replace it.. not much longer to setup, but they both need a roofrack due to size when packed up
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »
yep the ability to get changed/dressed etc while staying dry is a huge advantage I reckon. Shitty start to teh day being wet..
Havent used my Burke and Wills double swag in years. Been using the Blackwolf tent, but just bought an Oztent RV1 to replace it.. not much longer to setup, but they both need a roofrack due to size when packed up

Hence our issue and need to rejig our camper-free set up - can you imagine something the length of the Oztents sitting on top of a Jimny? I'd rather not... LOL.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 07:39:54 AM »
Quote from: trinityalyce
Hence our issue and need to rejig our camper-free set up - can you imagine something the length of the Oztents sitting on top of a Jimny? I'd rather not... LOL.
Why not? few years ago there was a bloke in our club with that setup :) he actually made a 'box' up to sit the packed up tent in and supported it full length.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2018, 08:17:30 PM »
Why not? few years ago there was a bloke in our club with that setup :) he actually made a 'box' up to sit the packed up tent in and supported it full length.

It wouldn't be worth it for me to do that, and I'm not real keen on the amount of overhang otherwise. It'll only be the odd weekend here and there - maybe up to a week on a long beach trip - that we'd use the Jimny for camping. With the Patrol so well set up and the camper there's just no point for most of what we do.

Also, I can't really lift the tent on my own, not that high off the ground at least. A swag - even a large one - I can manage, but not that tent. So having a solo or girls weekend away just wouldn't be feasible with the Oztent unfortunately.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
I have 2 big daddy swags and find them good value for money, when i go without the family its me and the dog in the swag or 11yo, dog and me.

My collection is 2m,3m,4m,6m tents, single + 2 x double swags, camper trailer.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway
The following users thanked this post: trinityalyce

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »

I have always said, if it needs poles, it's a tent.

Offline Arch

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »
Anyone purchased a ARB Double Swag? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know they are not cheap but potentially looking at a near new one.

Cheers

Arch
2003 NP Pajero 3.2L Diesel
2006 Subaru Outback
Family Sized Tent but hoping to upgrade to a CT one day.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »

Cheers

Arch

I was lucky enough to win a ARB double, also have a single. Have been out in all sorts of weather and never had a drop inside. Easy to put up and ours goes away every trip as the kids want to sleep in it all the time which frees up room in the camper

GG
The following users thanked this post: Arch

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »
Just got back from 5 days at Fraser sleeping in the big daddy delux. Was easy to set up, very comfortabl and decent quality.

They are a huge unit so take up a fair bit of your storage space. We didn't get any rain so can't comment on how waterproof they are but I'd prob throw a cheap tarp over the top if rain forecast was heavy.

Definately recommend a ground sheet underneath to keep sand and dew away. Oh and two bungy cords at each end help it keep its shape.

I think they are great value for money for occasional use.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »
I bought the big daddy deluxe last year, only used it a couple times but it was really good, even the bag was canvas and had extra space so you could  leave your bedding in?there.

I just bought another one for the kids and they have changed the bag, it is now like the old sleeping bag cover material and they are about half a size too small, really struggled to get it in my there. I’ll email them and see if they have any old canvas bags, not getting my hopes up...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »

Cheers

Arch

Here’s a review

https://youtu.be/8NtbSU0oslc
The following users thanked this post: Arch

Offline Windshear

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
Got to say I've been pleasantly surprised with the Kings swag I bought.  Seasoned it once, planning to do it again after a couple of days on Straddie - only to have a decent downpour the first night.  No leaks, so that was one big tick.  Have just got back from 3 weeks touring around out West, packing and setting up virtually every day and we had some pretty serious wind  couple of times.  My youngster slept in it and was probably more comfortable down on the ground, than us getting buffeted around in the rooftop.  Only mishap was 100% my fault, I strapped the swag in its bag onto the roof rack and then went charging down the Stuart Highway at 100 and plenty.  I'd forgotten to do up the straps around the bag and by the time we stopped that evening, one of the bag seams had flogged out.  Swag unscathed though.  I'd happily buy another.