Author Topic: airline carry-on bag  (Read 19156 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: airline carry-on bag
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »
My tip (I've been flying interstate nearly every week for 25+ years) get a bag with the least amount of extra pockets or zippers as possible.
Backpacks for domestic travel can be a PITA. Keep it simple, you'll only fill the extra pockets up with crap that you carry everywhere and never use. Same with an iPad or laptop bag, less is best.

I've just converted to one of these and have a second one now for swmbo. Duffle bag and shoulder pack in one. We don't use them as a full backpack as pictured, but do on occasion use one shoulder strap in an over shoulder style.

Never had mine full, but can accommodate 1 night to 4 nights away packed clothes.

thanks, mate... what size are you using for carry-on?  i have the exact same one in large and it is brilliant... (but too big for carry-on)...

scrapsD40

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 06:26:30 AM »
thanks, mate... what size are you using for carry-on?  i have the exact same one in large and it is brilliant... (but too big for carry-on)...
Not sure what capacity it is, but when I bought them, they would have been the medium size (next one up from the small) and definitely cabin size.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 06:47:32 AM »
Not sure what capacity it is, but when I bought them, they would have been the medium size (next one up from the small) and definitely cabin size.

i have tossed up between the small and medium, but worried that the medium is too big...

could i trouble you to take a quick measurement of the bag, so i can be sure?

scrapsD40

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 06:48:26 AM »
i have tossed up between the small and medium, but worried that the medium is too big...

could i trouble you to take a quick measurement of the bag, so i can be sure?
No prob. Will do tonight when I get home.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52:47 AM »
No prob. Will do tonight when I get home.

thanks, mate...

this is the medium size i have been looking at...

https://rushfaster.com.au/product/the-north-face/medium-69l-base-camp-duffle-2015-bomber-blue-cosmic-blue/12124/

technically, it is bigger than the carry-on linear dimensions, but being a duffel, it can be compressed if not too full...

you've never had an issue as carry-on on jetstar or virgin?

scrapsD40

airline carry-on bag
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 07:04:15 AM »
thanks, mate...

this is the medium size i have been looking at...

https://rushfaster.com.au/product/the-north-face/medium-69l-base-camp-duffle-2015-bomber-blue-cosmic-blue/12124/

technically, it is bigger than the carry-on linear dimensions, but being a duffel, it can be compressed if not too full...

you've never had an issue as carry-on on jetstar or virgin?
Based on the dimensions 64x35x35, and scale against the human silhoette, pretty sure that's the size I have and similar to a couple of older duffle style bags I've used. Never been questioned on either Q or V, but as you said, I've never had it bulging even if full of clothes for 4 days.
The other tip I can offer is think carefully about any shoes you might pack. They are what takes the most space and I just take a pair of thongs in summer and casual slip ons in winter. Also stuff your sox and undies into your shoes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:10:27 AM by scrapsD40 »
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 07:08:54 AM »
Based on the dimensions 64x35x35, and scale against the human silhoette, pretty sure that's the size I have and similar to a couple of older duffle style bags I've used. Never been questioned on either Q or V, but as you said, I've never had it bulging even if full of clothes for 4 days.
The other tip I can offer is think carefully about any shoes you might pack. They are what takes the most space and I just take a pair of thongs in summer and casual slip ons in winter. Also stuff your sox and undies into your shoes.

i'm OK with packing techniques like you have mentioned...  that's what i do, too...

i have been thinking about packing cubes as well, plenty of good reports, but have never got around to using them...

scrapsD40

airline carry-on bag
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
i'm OK with packing techniques like you have mentioned...  that's what i do, too...

i have been thinking about packing cubes as well, plenty of good reports, but have never got around to using them...

Also what's with men's toilet bags? For some reason the world thinks men have to have a brick size bag to carry a comb/brush, toothbrush/toothpaste, and shaver. Took me years, but finally found the Japanese shops (muji) sell perfect size shaver/toilet bags for men (obviously exclude the scissors etc)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:16:52 AM by scrapsD40 »

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 07:17:49 AM »
Also what's with men's toilet bags? For some reason the world thinks men have to have a brick size bag to carry a comb/brush, toothbrush/toothpaste, and shaver. Took me years, but finally found the Japanese shops (muji) sell perfect size shaver/toilet bags for men (obviously exclude the scissors etc)

i have been using an old leather 'dopp' style bag for years and it has served me well...

depends on what you need to take, i guess...

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 07:22:48 AM »
I typically travel domestic with a carry-on duffle. It's an Eddie Bauer bag I picked up in the US. It has a main compartment and 2 end compartments, one end is for shoe storage and the other end I use for toiletries bag. I pack all socks/jocks in a mesh cube bag to keep them together and roll the rest of my clothes and pack them in the main compartment. Being a soft duffle you can typically jam it into a full over head locker vs. the solid style that can be a pita to stow. I can go away for a day or a week with this bag. Only issue is if you're stuck in a line it can get heavy as you need to hold onto it and can't roll it.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 07:24:38 AM »
I typically travel domestic with a carry-on duffle. It's an Eddie Bauer bag I picked up in the US. It has a main compartment and 2 end compartments, one end is for shoe storage and the other end I use for toiletries bag. I pack all socks/jocks in a mesh cube bag to keep them together and roll the rest of my clothes and pack them in the main compartment. Being a soft duffle you can typically jam it into a full over head locker vs. the solid style that can be a pita. I can go away for a day or a week with this bag. Only issue is if you're stuck in a line it can get heavy as you need to hold onto it and can't roll it.

thanks for the input, mate...  the softness of the bag is a plus for me, for the reasons you and others have mentioned...

have you got some rough measurements for the bag?

is it something like this:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/maximus-duffel---45l/82302367/_/A-ebSku_0232367766__82302367_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Duffels%20_%20Luggage&previousPage=GNAV&tab=gear&color=938
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:26:29 AM by paceman »

scrapsD40

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
i have been using an old leather 'dopp' style bag for years and it has served me well...

depends on what you need to take, i guess...
Since my hair started falling out, found I don't need to take the hairdryer or curling wand anymore

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
Since my hair started falling out, found I don't need to take the hairdryer or curling wand anymore

;D

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 08:11:18 AM »
have also been looking at one of these:

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/travel-bags/products/aeronaut-45?variant=16381010823

expensive, but the quality appears to be excellent... and plenty of good reviews...

AdrianLR

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »

Cubes are great. Kathmandu ones when they're on special or Aldi ones when they have their luggage range.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
Cubes are great. Kathmandu ones when they're on special or Aldi ones when they have their luggage range.

I have these http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-cube-set/d/1322_cl_2541

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 02:10:36 PM »
I've used an Osprey Porter 46 for years and its a great option. One really nice feature is the stiffer foam sides that allow it hold its shape when laid flat and opened. It also compresses nicely if not overfull and using on a domestic flight with smaller size allowance. Another great Osprey one is the Farpoint 40, a little smaller, but has a proper backpack internal frame. So an option if you planning on lots of walking. I think over 40l in bag size you have trouble staying below 7kg limit. You may go years of flying and never get pulled up with overweight carry on, but when you do it can be an expensive exercise. We now moving to smart looking 40l backpacks as we doing lots of walking on our trips.     

scrapsD40

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2016, 06:18:05 PM »

Apol's for the delay. Packed tonight for next 3 days in Brisvegas. Here's the NF duffle, but less than 1/2full including toilet bag and 2nd pair shoes. 

I was thinking of starting a new thread called 'show us your luggage and how well it's packed' but knowing this group, it'd get locked pretty quickly

AdrianLR

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Reminds me, I often wear a ScottEvest jacket. Takes at least a couple of kg (iPad, phone, passports, glasses, micro first aid kit etc). I have a few different ScottEvest things and they're all well designed. Bit daggy (very according to the kids) but functional.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »
Apol's for the delay. Packed tonight for next 3 days in Brisvegas. Here's the NF duffle, but less than 1/2full including toilet bag and 2nd pair shoes. 

I was thinking of starting a new thread called 'show us your luggage and how well it's packed' but knowing this group, it'd get locked pretty quickly

by the looks of those measurements, you have the small north face duffel (530mm x 320mm)... ?

https://rushfaster.com.au/product/the-north-face/small-50l-base-camp-duffle-2015-tnf-black/12136/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:11:01 AM by paceman »

scrapsD40

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
by the looks of those measurements, you have the small north face duffel (530mm x 320mm)... ?

https://rushfaster.com.au/product/the-north-face/small-50l-base-camp-duffle-2015-tnf-black/12136/
Possible, but there was a smaller one again in the shop.
I've only had this really full once and it would easily have expended out to 600m+ long and 400mm x 350mm around the middle

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »
Possible, but there was a smaller one again in the shop.
I've only had this really full once and it would easily have expended out to 600m+ long and 400mm x 350mm around the middle

they do make an extra-small model as well...

https://rushfaster.com.au/product/the-north-face/extra-small-33l-base-camp-duffle-2015-tnf-black/12140/

450mm x 280mm

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »
Flew to Brisbane last week with You-Might-Get-There airlines (Tiger) and they weighed all hand luggage going on board, causing a few casualties. On the way back we were sitting next to a Jetstar gate waiting for our flight and spent a very amusing 45 minutes watching them check all that flight's carry on. Several smug women would saunter up and put their bag on the scale (usually just on 7 kg) only to be told they also had to put their handbag on as well (usually another 7 kg), the smiles soon disappeared. Businessmen with carry on and laptop bag would usually come in at the 14 - 18 kg range. Lots then agreed to put bags in underneath at $50 a go. The two best were a early 20s shapely young girl trying to discreetly pull on a pair of jeans while still wearing her very short mini and tights, gave up in the end and went to the loo. The second girl had 18 kgs of luggage. Tried various ways to get the bags weight down so the hostie would put the ok label on them. She was even sprung piling up her clothes behind a wall so she get the label and then just refill the bag for the flight. In the end she boarded the flight wearing about 5 layers of clothing, looking bigger than the Michelin Man, she would have been almost impossible to sit beside and would have been very uncomfortable.

I suppose this long ramble is saying, depending on who you are flying with, be careful about the weight. Second point is that with the Brisbane Tiger flight (was actually early), there must have been only about 20 bags off the flight and we would have taken about 2 minutes longer to leave compared to us not taking any checked luggage ($15 a bag).     

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
Flew down to Brissie on Monday with Virgin. My  check in was weighed when I was checking in.

So it appears they are on the warpath.