Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 383183 times)

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

Photo: Gnathostomiasis larvae.

A Victorian couple suffering muscle pains, fevers and vomiting discovered their bodies were infested with tiny worms eating through their tissue.

The couple ingested the gnathostomiasis larvae after eating a fish they caught in a river while on a Western Australian holiday.

It is the first time this parasite, which is more common in Thailand and China, has affected a person in Australia.

Dr Andrew Fuller, the head of the infectious diseases at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, said it took 10 to 12 days for the couple to fall ill after eating the fish.

The couple suffered abdominal pains and rashes, with the husband even reporting that he could feel something moving under his skin.

The worms are 1-3mm long, have sharp teeth and are able to eat through tissues.

"After you eat the fish the parasite goes through the wall of the stomach and then moves through the body under the skin or it can move into various organs, such as the brain or the spinal cord or any of the organs," Dr Fuller told Nine News.

The couple were treated with antibiotics and recovered before the worms had the chance to make their way into the brain or the spinal cord.

If left untreated, the worms can stay in humans for up to 15 years.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/8269074/victorian-couple-infected-with-body-eating-worm
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
As usual this one starts:

ONLY IN AMERICA.

A 41 year old mother and her children were doing a sit down naked protest in the middle of a road outside of a school, whilst singing " praise the lord"

The protest was caught on camera and now it's on ninemsn.

The photo of the naked mother and children have been broadcasted around the world.

Cheers

Campfire

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »
Hahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhaha
Hahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahhaha

It seems like a simple maths question but this man's wife gives him anything but a simple answer.

"If you are travelling 80 miles per hour, how long does it take you to go 80 miles?" he asks.

A deeply puzzled expression appears on her face as she tries to work it out.

"When I'm running 80 miles I'm probably running about 10 miles per hour, if that. And that's pretty fast for a human being," she responds.

She eventually decides to "whack 80 in half – and that's 40" and refuses to believe her husband when he tells her otherwise.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacuum/220725/husband-puzzles-wife-with-maths.glance
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Victim

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »

Photo: Gnathostomiasis larvae.

A Victorian couple suffering muscle pains, fevers and vomiting discovered their bodies were infested with tiny worms eating through their tissue.

The couple ingested the gnathostomiasis larvae after eating a fish they caught in a river while on a Western Australian holiday.

It is the first time this parasite, which is more common in Thailand and China, has affected a person in Australia.

Dr Andrew Fuller, the head of the infectious diseases at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, said it took 10 to 12 days for the couple to fall ill after eating the fish.

The couple suffered abdominal pains and rashes, with the husband even reporting that he could feel something moving under his skin.

The worms are 1-3mm long, have sharp teeth and are able to eat through tissues.

"After you eat the fish the parasite goes through the wall of the stomach and then moves through the body under the skin or it can move into various organs, such as the brain or the spinal cord or any of the organs," Dr Fuller told Nine News.

The couple were treated with antibiotics and recovered before the worms had the chance to make their way into the brain or the spinal cord.

If left untreated, the worms can stay in humans for up to 15 years.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/8269074/victorian-couple-infected-with-body-eating-worm

That is unbelievable!!!! When he could feel somthing moving under his skin... That is like a horror movie!!!!!  :o

2004 100 Series Kakadu V8 Landcruiser

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
Man charged over Senior Constable David Rixon's murder
"Michael Alan Jacobs, 48, was allegedly the driver of the car and the man who shot the father of six.

Jacobs also suffered a gunshot wound and has been in hospital in Newcastle under police guard since the incident.

He was charged with murder today and refused bail, police said in a statement".
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
Quote from: Hairs
Michael Alan Jacobs, 48, was allegedly the driver of the car and the man who shot the father of six.

Jacobs also suffered a gunshot wound and has been in hospital in Newcastle under police guard since the incident.

He was charged with murder today and refused bail, police said in a statement".
"shooting arose from an attempt to submit Jacobs to a random breath test."

Over a breatho test? Kill someone? Honestly??
No mercy for this piece of Shit
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
Over a breatho test? Kill someone? Honestly??

I'm speechless.
 ???

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 05:58:05 AM »
Jimmy -  way to young
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
Where does privacy end? How long till it happens here...?

Bassett a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn't see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information

.....  Back in 2010, Robert Collins was returning to his job as a correctional officer at the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services after taking a leave following his mother's death. During a reinstatement interview, he was asked for his login and password, purportedly so the agency could check for any gang affiliations. He was stunned by the request but complied.

"I needed my job to feed my family. I had to," he recalled

WTF http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/employers-ask-job-seekers-for-facebook-passwords-20120320-1vhnp.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Victim

• Swag User
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 06:34:28 AM »
Hard partying of Taser victim Roberto Laudisio Curti led to furious paranoia

TASER victim Roberto Laudisio Curti spent two days partying in the lead-up to his death, visiting nightclubs and taking drugs.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/hard-partying-of-taser-victim-roberto-laudisio-curti-led-to-furious-paranoia/story-e6frfkvr-1226306686296#ixzz1pmlU4Iwa

Offline Victim

• Swag User
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
The big debate should taser guns be used???

IMO I never want to be in a position where the Police would have to use a taser on me!! and if for some unknown reason I was, I would prefer a taser than a to be shot with a gun.....

Stay out of trouble and I dont think there is a problem??

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 06:41:42 AM »
I agree Victim,
Do as they ask and there is no problem.

Other News.
Police capture Naden, NSW's most wanted man
I read somewhere it was costing 30K a day to the NSW police.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:42:40 PM by Hairs »

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
The big debate should taser guns be used???

IMO I never want to be in a position where the Police would have to use a taser on me!! and if for some unknown reason I was, I would prefer a taser than a to be shot with a gun.....

Stay out of trouble and I dont think there is a problem??
There has been lengthy discussion on talk back radio in Sydney, I listen to the ABC. I have ben dismayed at the, IMO mainly female, callers, who bleat about the rights of the drug adled party goer over that of the general public and particularly the police. I'm not saying people don't sometime get into trouble either.

I correspond through Twitter with journalist and author Sam De Brito, who was himself tasered for an article he wrote. He offered an informed opinion that he would rather be tasered than hit with a batton, let alone shot with a Glock.

So often on the Sydney news one sees groups of disrespectful youths threatening police and others. I'd like to see many of them writhing on the ground, hopefully pissing themselves, as a result of a taser being administered. Gang culture and voilence has no place in Australia.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
Police should have everything at their disposal that will help them protect the public and themselves. A lot of negative arguments are usually from people who have never faced an angry male or female who are affected by drugs and or alcohol and who do not possess proper values.
What is not part of any debate is why Police require so much. That is what our leaders should be seriously examining. What has gone wrong in our society that a Police Officer needs to carry a gun with usually two loaded magazines, a baton, handcuffs, capsicum spray and a taser. What has changed in a very short period of time?   One place they should start is our great judiciary system. A bit of a joke and we all seem to know it.
And what about the absolutely stupid requirement to go through an extradition process to just get someone from one state to another in our country to face justice. I know we are all innocent until proven otherwise, but really, we all live in the same country, imagine the cost and delay involved. Just does not make sense.
Sorry, just my little thing to say.
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »
Gang culture and violence has no place in Australia.

Spot on mate.
 :cheers:

Offline Fridge Magnet

• Tent User
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »
Gang culture and voilence has no place in Australia.

I couldn't agree more. I've been a bit surprised over the backlash towards the police too. I feel sorry for the guy who died, he was probably a nice kid with a nice family, I also feel sorry for the cops involved, it can't have been a pleasant situation.  Fact is the kid went on a drug fuelled bender and ended up in an allegedly psychotic and violent state on the streets early in the morning. I'd rather have a cop with a taser defusing the situation (whatever the outcome) than a person in this state crossing paths with my wife or kids going about their business.

As for the knife toting turds you see on TV who think that they're above the law, they should be tasered repeatedly and often.

So saying, I hope to God that I never get tased, static shocks from the car freak me out enough!! I'll just have to behave myself  ;D
What would Barnaby do?

Offline blackcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • We are the Lucky Blackcats - we own a CT :-)
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
Scary to think about the people sharing our roads
http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2213499833/Wheely-unroadworthy-truck

Offline @fnq4now

• Tent User
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
I was always under the impression that tasers were introduced as an alternative to lethal force ie handgun, which is only supposed to be used where there is ' a real and impending threat to life'.  I fully understand the necessity to use force where required and 'the use of force continuum', but, it's hard to argue that the threat to life is 'impending' when the offender is running away as he appears to be in the footage we've been shown so far.  I have great respect for the incredibly difficult job undertaken by police today but i think someone will be roasted for this effort.
"The problem with common sense is that it's just not very common."

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:36 PM »
That is what our leaders should be seriously examining. What has gone wrong in our society that a Police Officer needs to carry a gun with usually two loaded magazines, a baton, handcuffs, capsicum spray and a taser. What has changed in a very short period of time?   
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The truth is that statistically crime has not changed that much but, nor violence towards police, there is a bit of an arms race going on and I am not sure whats driving it.  When I started in 1988 I had a 38 smith and wesson revolver with six rounds and a pair of handcuffs. (there was a bloke who used to carry another 12 rounds in two speed loaders and he was a laughing stock) Eighteen years later I had a glock, two mags (52 rounds for christs sake), a baton, capcisum spray and they were talking about tasers as well.

I think the pollies and the cops as well have lost sight of the most important thing a cop can have and thats the ability to talk. Lots of cops use the gear as a safety net.  The reality is if mr bad guy wants you dead your dead.  I spent six years on my own and luckily I never had to even pull the gun out.  In many ways, and majority of cops totally disagree with me, the arms race has made it worse for them.  Bad guys (including the mentally ill/drug impaired) are painted into a corner and their reactions are harder to judge.  We had a bloke in our town who thought he was the reincarnation of a scottish middle aged war hero.  Mad as.  You never wanted to corner him because he was totally unpredictable. The cops wanted to have him scheduled but it never happened.  One day he killed a bus driver when he felt trapped (or so they said)

In some ways its probably more dangerous due to the gear.  Many think that cap spray and tasers will subdue the violent and mentally ill but they wont, particularly if they are goal oriented.  If the only thing their minds are focused on is getting away or getting you then they dont work well enough to hang your life on.  And all they taser or cap spray have done is make them crazier and closer to you.  Particularly with knives the old saying goes 4seconds and seven metres.  If they are within that range your gunna get cut no matter what you use other than a double tap with some hollow points.

I would loved to have seen a trial where the cops dearmed completely (other than the special ops teams) and got back to basics. Combine that with a change to legislation that if you used a firearm to prevent arrest that it was an automatic 20yrs.  If you hit or killed in the same situation you got life till you die.  (Even amongst mates there was little support for this argument though).  Would have been interesting though.

Anyway a bit of a ramble with no real outcome I suppose. 

I did like seeing that bloke with the sword in melb a few years ago get hit with those bean bag rounds, that was funny   ;D

cheers

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
I still like the VicPol sop of bang, bang, stop or I'll shoot, oh bugger I got it around the wrong way again :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
I still like the VicPol sop of bang, bang, stop or I'll shoot, oh bugger I got it around the wrong way again :)

Wasn't it many years ago.
Duck, it's the Victorian Police.
 ;D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
Rich is posing again

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
Great photo of him.

Nickname of "Hollywood"?  ;D I'm still reading the mag with your last cover shot Rich.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails