Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 381099 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:47:02 AM by GGPatrol »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »
The amount of water currently covering NSW is the same size as the entire country of France!

WOW.....

Cheers
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
The amount of water currently covering NSW is the same size as the entire country of France!

WOW.....

Cheers
http://www.ihatefrenchpeople.com/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Two young men rescued after spending five days stuck in flooded Gulf Country survived by cooking rotten meat on a shovel and masking the flavour with garlic.

Luke Audas and Solomon Love, both 19, were found camping next to the Gregory River, about 40km southwest of Doomadgee, where their car had bogged on their way to Doomadgee for housing construction work.

The 24-hour search began when their employer raised the alarm that the boys, from Cairns, did not report for work and had not been heard from since last Friday.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/rotten-meat-cooked-on-a-shovel-how-teens-survived-5-days-lost-in-gulf-country-20120308-1ulgx.html#ixzz1oUarnTLl
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
Police seize $1.1m cannabis crop
I know this bloke and the woman with him.
He is a methadon user and known dealer in the valley. He is flat out opening eyes at the best of times, let alone enough to drive.
I believe the Police went to see him on an unrelated matter and found a kitchen table loaded with pot.
Now they just have bust all the other pieces of crap that hang at the pub that reckon they own the town.
The copper, must of thought his christmas's had all come at once.
Well done mate.
 :cup:

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
He is a methadon user and known dealer in the valley. He is flat out opening eyes at the best of times, let alone enough to drive.
I believe the Police went to see him on an unrelated matter and found a kitchen table loaded with pot.
Now they just have bust all the other pieces of crap that hang at the pub that reckon they own the town.
Well done mate.

I wondered if you knew him when I heard it on the news.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Mallory Black

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
50/50 odds that Greece will default on it's debts tomorrow morning
1998 3.4V6 Prado & homebuilt rear fold soft floor

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »
I wondered if you knew him when I heard it on the news.
I had heard about it yesterday arvo before the paper had uploaded the story to their site.
Oh the joys of living in a small town.

;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:58:06 PM »
50/50 odds that Greece will default on it's debts tomorrow morning

At 8pm GMT tonight (7am, AEDT, Friday morning), the authorities will know - or have a very good idea - how many of Greece’s international creditors have accepted its 206 billion euro ($256 billion) bond-swap offer.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/world-business/greece-could-default-within-hours-20120308-1um68.html#ixzz1oWewgp3O
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
I always wondered why trucks with 'speed limited to 100 km/h' stickers on them would pass me on the Hume...
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/police-defect-five-more-trucks-from-sa-transport-firm-scots/story-e6frea83-1226293626685
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
Well done mate.

People like that deserve all the "time" in the world, as long as it has the word "prison" in front of the word "time".  I made the joke about being a child of the 60's before, but I would never waste my hard earned on such rubbish.  We had some similar people hanging around, it is amazing what some sugar did in their fuel tanks, wish I had of thought of it.  Got rid of them, they must have "got the hint".
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »
I always wondered why trucks with 'speed limited to 100 km/h' stickers on them would pass me on the Hume...
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/police-defect-five-more-trucks-from-sa-transport-firm-scots/story-e6frea83-1226293626685

The problem here is the general crack down on truckies. Those who try to follow the law now face a  harder time because of these ratbags. A couple of weeks ago I was caught about an hour from home with no driving time left, if I was in the car I would have just done it, but I was in the truck so park up, sleep and miss a night with the kids all for an hour, but try explaining that to the scaleys (mermaids).
Steve

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »
The problem here is the general crack down on truckies. Those who try to follow the law now face a  harder time because of these ratbags. A couple of weeks ago I was caught about an hour from home with no driving time left, if I was in the car I would have just done it, but I was in the truck so park up, sleep and miss a night with the kids all for an hour, but try explaining that to the scaleys (mermaids).
yep know exactly what you mean Stephen. yet an office worker can work a 14 hour day,jump a car and drive for 3 or 4 days straight without a break and its perfectly legal?
yet we know our limits through years of knowing just how far we can go.
and another thing........how come when a truck driver is killed,why isnt it investigated as a Work place accident ???

99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
Singo you sound like a responsible truck driver however you are in the minority. I drive the Hume Hwy truck route into MEL everyday to and from work and the trucks are downright dangerous. I see B-doubles side-by-side blocking both lanes trying to overtake each other, tailgating cars, sticking in the right lane going up hills blocking the flow of traffic, etc. I understand truck drivers think the road is their workplace however they're not, they're public motorways and as such they have no more rights than car drivers and do not get priority. They need to stick to the road rules just like everybody else. End of rant.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
D4D in my opinion way more than 50% of truck drivers do the right thing, but a big truck is a very visible thing on the road. You see 2 trucks side by side down the freeway and think look at these cowboys, the reality is 1 truck is doing the right thing and the other is overtaking him and possibly overtaking him. Tailgating and blocking the right lane is inexcuseable for a professional driver in my opinion. But what about the cars who jump into the brake zone that a truck leaves to ensure he can stop safely, what about the car driver who sits alongside the truck not allowing me to merge out of the right lane or in the very big blind spot that a truck has. That's my rant over, It would open a few car drivers eyes to sit in the cab of a truck for a day and see what goes on from that viewpoint, and then drive the thing and see how long it takes to stop, turn and generally manipulate the truck through traffic. I reckon you would have a much greater appreciation of the road.
 :cheers:
Steve

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
D4D in my opinion way more than 50% of truck drivers do the right thing, but a big truck is a very visible thing on the road. You see 2 trucks side by side down the freeway and think look at these cowboys, the reality is 1 truck is doing the right thing and the other is overtaking him and possibly overtaking him. Tailgating and blocking the right lane is inexcuseable for a professional driver in my opinion. But what about the cars who jump into the brake zone that a truck leaves to ensure he can stop safely, what about the car driver who sits alongside the truck not allowing me to merge out of the right lane or in the very big blind spot that a truck has. That's my rant over, It would open a few car drivers eyes to sit in the cab of a truck for a day and see what goes on from that viewpoint, and then drive the thing and see how long it takes to stop, turn and generally manipulate the truck through traffic. I reckon you would have a much greater appreciation of the road.
Stephen.
totally agree with all you said. a day in our shoes and most light vehicle drivers would then appreciate just how many lives we save in just one week ( by that i mean & Stephen you would agree) that the amount of driving and making decisions for other road users. notice how the amount of drivers in cars who complain about trucks tail gating them are most likely the ones who cut in front of a semi who has left enough room in front of him to stop at a set of lights only to have a "hero" who thinks he has made a mere 1 spot up in the traffic. if any one thinks that getting a 26 meter B Double around somewhere like Sydney or Brisbane in peak hour traffic and still get the deliveries done on  time is easy............i have a passenger seat available for any back seat driver or "Hero".

sorry for the rant but that's my 2cents worth  :cheers:
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
No offence but that is a typical response. When I was a lot younger, I spent a couple of years touring with bands and spent many an hour driving up and down the east coast in all types of trucks. Therefore I have spent many a 'day in your shoes'. I don't condone what idiot car drivers do but the truck driver needs to be aware of this and adjust his driving style, much like motorbike riders do. There is no excuse for tailgating or blocking all lanes of traffic. If someone cuts in front of me I take a deep breath and back off the throttle, truck drivers seem to just keep the foot flat. I totally understand it is hard to get B doubles around town, I lay the blame on the trucking companies pushing drivers to meet deadlines that are not achievable. Hopefully the owners of Scott’s will be made an example of in this case.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 11:06:41 AM »
Being semi retired AND living in the country, I'm not usually in a hurry. Often I cruise at 90-100kph  on the highway, even in a 110 zone for reasons of fuel economy and greater safety (towing).

When I encounter trucks either on the highway near home or when I'm travelling about on holiday, I adopt some simple procedures such as ease off a tad on hills when they're overtaking and a quick flash of the headlights when it's clear for them to re-enter the left lane. Most give the indicator signal as a 'thanks mate' and they're on their way safe and sound.

It's easy for me and let's them get on with doing what they do best.
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
what about the car driver who sits alongside the truck not allowing me to merge out of the right lane

YES! I travel the Hume Hwy often (in a car), & one of my biggest pi55 off's are those (many MANY car) drivers who pull out & go .25 klm quicker than the vehicle they're overtaking  >:(
Bob and Robyn

Offline Victim

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Looks like this thread has taken a bad turn away from "whats making news today".........
2004 100 Series Kakadu V8 Landcruiser

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Looks like this thread has taken a bad turn away from "whats making news today".........

Not at all a bit of healthy debate imo.

As I see it Blinky's response is correct. Common courtesy and respect for all road users is what is needed, but it does go both ways.
Steve

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
Rebels bikies arrested
"A bikie has been charged after police allegedly found thousands of dollars wedged between his buttocks."

;D  Did they have to bring in the Crack Squad to search him?

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »
His nick name is ATM.
And the 'A' does not stand for automated....   Think about it..    ;D
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 10:46:24 AM »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?

Work - Outback
Play - Prado