Author Topic: First Aid supplies?  (Read 13715 times)

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
First Aid supplies?
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »
Hi all
Yes it has been discussed. I thought I would give GLC a hoy but it appears the phone has been disconnected. So I am looking for a supplier to supply me with the basics for our trip. Usual stuff, bandages, burns stuff, snake and insect bitey thingys etc. does anyone have a list already made up that they can post up? I am too lazy to do the search.  I have the bag and some basic stuff and want to add more. I believe we have a member of the medical profession who can offer some sound advice.

Thank ya
fuji
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: First Aid supplies?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
http://www.stjohnambulance.com.au/st-john/first-aid-kits-and-supplies/order-a-first-aid-kit

I use the large leisure kit with a few extras thown in (Asprin, deep heat, immodium tablets etc etc)

This one goes in the car as the vehicle is with us most placed then we have a small one that goes in the hiking backpack
I Drink & I Know Things
The following users thanked this post: fuji

scarpsD40

First Aid supplies?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
As good a kit as I've seen of late.
https://www.groceryrun.com.au/event/47126/product/210-piece-emergency-first-aid-kit-171722
Add to it a tube of Bentadine antiseptic oitment and some antihystemine tablets or pinch the kit from the local police station;D

There's over 5,000 Pharmacies located around Aus including in the Kimberley region, plus every major servo, 7/11 and supermarket sell basic supplies.  Top up on stuff as you need it.  Just make sure you check the use by dates on any liquids or tablets.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:23:25 PM by scarpsD40 »

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »
https://www.groceryrun.com.au/event/47126/product/210-piece-emergency-first-aid-kit-171722
Add to it a tube of Bentadine antiseptic oitment and some antihystemine tablets or pinch the kit from the local police station;D

There's over 5,000 Pharmacies located around Aus including in the Kimberley region, plus every major servo, 7/11 and supermarket sell basic supplies.  Top up on stuff as you need it.  Just make sure you check the use by dates on any liquids or tablets.

Yep, anything like this will do what is meant with a first aid. Also include if you don't already some tweezers and splinter removers.
I like to include a hangover cure kit, but not everyone can or will canulate themselves!

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:57:04 PM »

I've seen the kits in Police Stations.   I don't think they've been restocked since Ned Kelly was locked up.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:01:32 PM »
http://www.stjohnambulance.com.au/st-john/first-aid-kits-and-supplies/order-a-first-aid-kit

I use the large leisure kit with a few extras thown in (Asprin, deep heat, immodium tablets etc etc)

This one goes in the car as the vehicle is with us most placed then we have a small one that goes in the hiking backpack

wot e says.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
Big bottle of Bundy OP Rum and a roll of gaffa tape , plastic bag full of med swabs ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:37:48 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Homerj

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I've seen the kits in Police Stations.   I don't think they've been restocked since Ned Kelly was locked up.

They've got a lot better the last few years.  Mine gets checked every month but because I'm the only one that uses it, it doesn't take much to keep it up to date.  If I get a paper cut in the office, I want to be sure the band aids aren't out of date.
2005 Pajero with a few bits and pieces.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
Look at Safety Dave... I hve his outback kit.. pretty good, have that and a GLC one when he was around....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »

Make sure you account for any "special needs" medication as well, also make sure you have gastro stop or something like that as well as some hydrolite.
We bought a kit many many years ago, we just do an annual clean out and restock from chemist warehouse or something of the like.

Matt
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
I believe we have a member of the medical profession who can offer some sound advice.
Hi Wayne,
If you already have a bag, you can make up quite a good kit for very little cost.   I assume you have done a first aid course or two between Vicpol and SES (if I recall).   A couple of points:
1.  DRSABCD comes first, and you haven't even opened your kit yet.
2. Your first aid kit is primarily for treating wounds, so most of the space will be taken up by bandages and dressings.   Minor wounds occur more often, so you will need plenty of bandaids/adhesive dressings.   More serious wounds occur less often.   Be prepared with some larger dressings but it is impossible to cater for all eventualities.
3. Knick knacks don't take up much room (eg splinter probe, scissors/shears, pen and note book)
4. To me, everyday things like panadol, medications and sunscreen etc belong in your toilet kit, not the first aid kit.
5. Alcohol swabs are to disinfect intact skin prior to giving an injection. They are not meant for cleaning a wound, but they are an easy addition to a commercial kit for minimal cost to the supplier.   Clean a dirty wound with saline or water.   A few 10ml plastic ampoules of saline are good for flushing wounds as well as irrigating eyes.
6. You can have a little kit in the glove box with band aids etc and maybe panadol, and the larger kit in the cargo area.
6. Improvise.    eg Glad wrap is a good burn dressing and it's sterile after you lose the first layer on the roll.    A rolled up towel makes a good neck brace or splint.

This is the list of contents of the StJohn Large Leisure Kit, which sounds like a good assortment.   However I've made some suggestions:-

1 Emergency First Aid Guide      Shouldn't need it if you've done a course and don't want to be fumbling with a book in a crisis
1 Crepe Bandage 5cm
2 Crepe Bandages 7.5cm
2 Heavy Duty Crepe Bandages 10cm
1 Zinc Oxide Tape 2.5cm x 5m I think this is cloth/strapping tape?
1 Hypo-Allergenic Tape 2.5cm x 9m
2 Triangular Bandages 110cm x 110cm
1 Disposable Instant Cold Pack
1 Universal Dressing Small
3 Pkts Gauze Swabs 7.5cm (Pkt of 3)
2 Combine Pads 10cm x 10cm
2 Combine Pads 10cm x 20cm
2 Non-Adherent Pads 7.5cm x 10cm
2 Non-Adherent Pads 5cm x 5cm
2 Sterile Eye Pads
1 Fabric dressing strip 6.3cm x 1m   Once you've opened it, it's no longer sterile.   The other dressings are better for large wounds
1 Pkt Alcohol Swabs (Pkt of 10)
1 Stainless Steel Sharp/Blunt Scissors 12.5cm
1 Sheers Trauma Scissors 14cm     Are they thin and translucent, or do they mean "shears"?
1 Stainless Steel Splinter Pointed Forceps   or maybe splinter probes instead
2 Emergency Shock Blankets
1 Pkt Safety Pins (Pkt of 12)
1 Notepad & Pencil
2 Plastic Specimen Bags
10 Eye Saline & Wound Irrigation 15mL
5 Primapore Dressings 8.3cm x 6cm
1 Pkt Plastic Adhesive Strips (Pkt of 50)
1 Pkt Fabric Adhesive Strips (Pkt of 50)
1 Pkt Disposable Splinter Probes (Pkt of 5)
1 Pkt Antiseptic Swabs (Pkt of 10)
2 Pkts Sting & Itch Relief Sachets 3ml (Pkt of 5)   Toiletries ??
5 Pairs Disposable Nitrile Gloves Large
4 Sunscreen Sachets 30+ 10ml Toiletries
1 Resuscitation Protection Shield   See point 1.

Maybe I'd add a little torch, but better off keeping that in the glove box.   A head lamp is useful at night.   Beyond this stuff, my own kit has diagnostic stuff (stethoscope, BP cuff, oxygen and glucose meters etc), more drugs and airways, splits and collars.   

If buying a lot of stock, Google medical suppliers like Warner Webster and RG Medical.   Much cheaper than your local pharmacy.

Hope this helps.  Greg.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
I keep a led torch in the first aid kit, and spare batteries.

That torch is only for the kit.

Also stocked up on the saline, and universal dressings of various sizes.
Doesn't hurt to throw a few extra $ worth of stuff in there.

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
1 Disposable Instant Cold Pack

1 Sheers Trauma Scissors 14cm     Are they thin and translucent, or do they mean "shears"?

If you are trying to save on room I would do away with cold pack - your fridge or esky contents should help you there.

This listing is certainly suggesting shears that are useful to cut away heavy denim, leather, seat belts or shoes/boots etc.

Have fun restocking!

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:50:19 AM »
I purchased mine off fleebay, there are heaps. You can also buy from those workplace stores, the ones that sell fluro work clothing and boots.
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
Quote from: smartyingreen
If you are trying to save on room I would do away with cold pack - your fridge or esky contents should help you there.
Cold packs will stay colder longer than a bag of peas, and don't take up any room.

Great list there Doc!

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »
Cold packs will stay colder longer than a bag of peas, and don't take up any room.

Great list there Doc!

Ice packs only need to be applied for 15 mins or so, so it may not matter if they lose their coldness after that.
The list comes from the StJohn's kit, so I cant take too much credit (just got rid of some of the unnecessaries.)

Offline IanC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
I also threw in a pair of 2 x magnifying glasses.  Helps with splinters etc.  Probably not as useful for those with 20/20.
2008 Cruiser - "Guzzles"
2015 Lifestyle Reconn

BernieS

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:49:13 PM »
In case I missed it on the list... I'd also add some Saline Solution. Very good for flushing eyes in case of foreign bodies.  Needed some for the pup last week, lucky I had some in my kit.  BTW, he's all good now. :)

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 04:21:09 PM »

Will beer get cold as well Bird...... ;D ;D

Great list there Doc!
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:22 PM »
I also threw in a pair of 2 x magnifying glasses.  Helps with splinters etc.  Probably not as useful for those with 20/20.
I got the two-for-one deal from SpecSavers for my reading glasses.   When I really need to deal with the itsy bitsy, I wear them both together!

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »
I got the two-for-one deal from SpecSavers for my reading glasses.   When I really need to deal with the itsy bitsy, I wear them both together!
Magnaplasums good stuff especially for us blind bastards

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 09:48:29 PM »
I'm selling a range of first aid gear on my site: http://www.aussiestormshop.com.au/collections/first-aid

MySwag members get a discount with the code MYSWAG13

cheers
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 10:05:34 PM »
Just had a look at your site Jeeps, not bad.  Will have to get Jan to have a look as she is chasing replacement gear for our first aid kits
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »
Hi, it's Jan - Al's other half.  I had a quick look at the Remote Area Kit you offer Jeeps and at this point in time I have to say I'm impressed.  It seems to have most of what I want/need to restock our existing first aid kit, without too many extraneous items.

I've just finished a 3-week stint of proofreading, so give me a couple of days to return from the 18th century and get my head around modern-day language again, and I may have some questions for you.

Jan
xxxx
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline jeeps

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • The Aussie Storm Shop
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
No worries, let me know if you need any more information. Most of the larger kits are workplace health and safety compliant. I can supply compliant kits for specific workplaces too.

cheers
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:03:13 PM by jeeps »
www.aussiestormshop.com.au | www.aussieberkeyshop.com.au
Offroad Camper Trailer with an Austrack top & Drifta kitchen, mostly assembled by me :)