Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 4022 times)

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
Hello All
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
Hi All

My name is Marco, I live on the bayside of Brisbane, with my wife and two boys 5 and 3. Just before we had our first boy I convinced my wife to go camping, so she nervously agreed, not been camping since a young girl, so 6 days on stradie on the beach and she was hooked. Sadly haven't been back there since the kids are too young, for beach camping. We go away at least once a year for a Easter trip with my bothers and the boys love it. All this under a tarp and tent. Although due the the amount of c#*p we have a borrowed trailer is needed, X-Trial is too small...

So after looking around for a dual used trailer for carting yard gunk to the tip and camping, we decided to go the whole hog and get a proper CT. Both of us thought having a CT will encourage us to get out camping more and we are keen to have the boys experience lots of camping as both of us didn't do much as youngsters. After many weeks of trolling this and other sites for CTreviews and looking firstly at the import market (one look and ran away as fast as I could) then at the budget aussie companies we finally settled on a 2nd hand Red Hot CT :D, but not taking delivery of it for two weeks  :'(, at least that gives us the long weekend to clear some room in the garage for it. Although would have been great to get away in it....

I am already looking and researching the best way to fit my 120 AGM battery and panels to it and wire up the CT, to run the Engel and LEDs we use under the tarp, although a novice at electrics. Have already found the Electrical forum :) and also know a guy (sparky) up the road, who has a tricked up camper fully wired, wished I could have bought that one but way out of our budget, who will hopefully give me some pointer too.

I can hardly wait to take delivery on the CT. Our first planned use of it is first week of 2013, which is way too long to wait, will have to sneak in a couple of weekend trips before then to test it out, or worst case a weekend in the front yard.

Now I know some of you will say  :worthles: so as soon we get it and have it setup I'll post some.

really like the site and the friendly people here.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
Welcome aboard Marco... Plenty on here to keep you occupied for a year or two  ;D

Greg
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
G'day Marco,

To MySwag,
As you have already found out, there is a wealth of knowledge here to help you with all manner of things.
Your kids will love camping and meeting new people who share the same love of getting out there.
Hope you enjoy your time.
Happy & Safe travels.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
G'day Marco and welcome to Myswag.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

bunyip

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
Congrats on the CT purchase, welcome to the madhouse.

Lots of people offering wonderful advice and never such a thing as a silly question either.

Having said that I know very little about not much so generally hang around making a pest of myself :D

Bunyip

Offline luxabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:16:27 AM »
Welcome to MySwag Marco!

What sort of rig are you towing your new CT with?

Cheers,
Bryan

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
Thanks for the welcome all,

Welcome to MySwag Marco!

What sort of rig are you towing your new CT with?

Cheers,
Bryan

We have a 06 X-Trail not a best of a rig but works for us. Gets the kids safely around and has gone ok on Stradie once.

Offline aquadux

• Swag User
  • It's great to be outdoors
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
Welcome Marco and congrats on the ct. The kids will love getting out in it. Plenty of informstion to be found here.

Richard
Toyota Prado diesel
Jayco Discovery

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Marco, keep us updated with the arrival and mods

GG

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »
Hi All
Just before we had our first boy I convinced my wife to go camping, so she nervously agreed, not been camping since a young girl, so 6 days on stradie on the beach and she was hooked.

This sounds familiar Bunyip and a mate of ours had a great idea lets take the families camping over the easter long weekend. His partner and I were not impressed at all. We have now spent every easter for the past nine years camping with them (it has now grown from 2 families to 6) big 10 year anniversary coming up next year. Going back to where it all started Abercrombie Caves :D

LB
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:13:25 AM by LB »
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:21:28 AM »
Hi ruskie and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »
Well how happy   ;D am I tonight, just got back from picking up our first CT. It is sitting proudly in the garage and the X-Trail is outside tonight, until I can pack the CT with the camping gear and move it to the other side of the garage. I guess I'll try and set it up on the weekend to check it out.

The shake down (although is a 2nd hand CT) trip is going to be the w/end of the 19th October to Gordon Country. Will get some pics and post them up for anyone interested.

Offline luxabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:21:13 AM »
Yay! Gotta love the feeling of a new toy in the garage :)

I don't know if you've been to Gordon Country before, but watch out for their prices... They charge a $25 fee for a 4wd, plus camping fees. Also, the Goomburra Country Shindig is on that weekend! (Don't know if that's good or bad!)

Put some pics up when you get a chance :)

Cheers,
Bryan

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »
Luxabout

Thanks for the heads up, yeah i knew about the $25 4wd fee but said to them that we will not be using the tracks due to the age of our boys and they were ok with only the std $10. We haven't been there before so just wanting to check it out. I did do a search on here but only found one reference and that was from someone deciding on there or Sandy creek, we go to Sandy each Easter so want to test a few other places out. So if it doesn't work out we know to cross it off the list.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »

Hey Ruskie,

Good to hear you have the prized possession now in place and are making plans.  Gordon Country is a great place with many excellent sites to choose from.  I'm sure the boys will have a ball!

Many fantastic options for camping in the Great South East!   :cup:

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog