Author Topic: KK diesel hot water  (Read 11564 times)

Offline ferret

• Tent User
KK diesel hot water
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:44:21 PM »
Just wondering if any of you fine people own or have used the diesel hot water system used in the KK ???? any comments would be appreciated  :cheers:
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline BV007

• Swag User
Re: KK diesel hot water
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
Ferret

Had the diesel hot water heater on my recently sold KK. It worked brilliantly, very economical on diesel, took about 7 mins to heat the water and could draw water from any water source. The only issue I had with it was that it would trip the circuit breaker if I had the fridge running at the same time, possibly too much load? Once I became aware of this, wasn't an issue.

Can't recommend it highly enough and would love to get the KK portable diesel HW unit for my next camper, but at $3K, it's a little to steep for me.

Cheers
Baz

Baz

Landcruiser 200 Series VX TTD V8 with goodies +  2011 Ultimate Elite Camper

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »
Ferret

Had the diesel hot water heater on my recently sold KK. It worked brilliantly, very economical on diesel, took about 7 mins to heat the water and could draw water from any water source. The only issue I had with it was that it would trip the circuit breaker if I had the fridge running at the same time, possibly too much load? Once I became aware of this, wasn't an issue.

Can't recommend it highly enough and would love to get the KK portable diesel HW unit for my next camper, but at $3K, it's a little to steep for me.

Cheers
Baz

Thanks Baz, It's good to get some first hand feedback as the only info I seem to be able to get was from the KK site or from the Dealer here in Townsville who seems to be a good bloke but it never hurts to get a neutral, objective opinion.  :cheers:

2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »
We will pick up our KK next week including the hot water system.
So I will be able to tell more about it after we have used it.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
We will pick up our KK next week including the hot water system.
So I will be able to tell more about it after we have used it.

Thanks WilSurf that would be very much appreciated  :cheers:
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
Sorry guys a bit off topic- but a gas hot water system is near instant heat (not 7 mins) and can keep up in my van with the shower running at a van park for 4 people (continuous water).  I'm assuming you will have gas of some type- our 2x4.5 kgs last a good while as well.  I just wonder why?
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »
I have more diesel with me than gas.

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
We hired a KK in february, prior to buying one, that had a diesel hot water in it - yes they do take a few minutes to heat up but they are very good. Unfortunately for us the KK that we ended up buying does not the hot water fitted! So I have had to buy a the coleman gas HWOD - also a very good unit, but takes up a lot of space.

There is a thead on here somewhere that talks about the diesel hot water on the KK and how to stop it from blowing smoke. But I cant find it, maybe someone else will remember where it is.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:23:43 AM by lcandlc »
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:12:52 AM »
Sorry guys a bit off topic- but a gas hot water system is near instant heat (not 7 mins) and can keep up in my van with the shower running at a van park for 4 people (continuous water).  I'm assuming you will have gas of some type- our 2x4.5 kgs last a good while as well.  I just wonder why?

With the diesel system you can draw directly from an external water from a river, lake, dam, etc: therefore saving on board water for times when an external water source is not available. I believe you can not do this with gas systems as you need to use tap water as a minimum which means you need to carry substantially more water if you want regular showers. as I rarely intend on staying in a van park I consider this to be a distinct advantage. also the diesel unit is very compact and does not use a holding tank, it works on a heat exchange system which is continuous. Finally If the gas system on your van has a holding tank I seriously doubt it is instant if you are starting from a tank full of cold water  :cheers:
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 06:00:29 AM »
The diesel hot water in our 2010 platinum has no issues, a couple of minutes and endless hot water from any water source. Very economical to run and we also had the diesel space heater fitted for those cold trips. In my opinion diesel is much safer and economical than gas and on a remote trip it is easier to top up diesel than a gas tank.

Cheers Glen
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:32 AM »
The diesel hot water in our 2010 platinum has no issues, a couple of minutes and endless hot water from any water source. Very economical to run and we also had the diesel space heater fitted for those cold trips. In my opinion diesel is much safer and economical than gas and on a remote trip it is easier to top up diesel than a gas tank.

Cheers Glen

Thanks for the feedback Glen, Much appreciated  :cheers:
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 07:46:41 AM »
Youse come from sunny Qld and want hot water and a heater ????...Get outa here ya sooks !! ;D ;D ;D

If I had the big bucks to spend, I suppose I would have the heater.....but can't understand the need for hot water??    for washing up the dishes we use the left over from the kettle..
For washing humans, we use the roll on deoderant !! ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
What I like the best is having a warm/hot shower after a few days in the bush.

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
What I like the best is having a warm/hot shower after a few days in the bush.

to wash the deodorant off of course!
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:23 AM »
Youse come from sunny Qld and want hot water and a heater ????...Get outa here ya sooks !! ;D ;D ;D

If I had the big bucks to spend, I suppose I would have the heater.....but can't understand the need for hot water??    for washing up the dishes we use the left over from the kettle..

I'm hearing ya gronk but as the saying goes "Happy wife ;D Happy life  :cup:
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
I'm hearing ya gronk but as the saying goes "Happy wife ;D Happy life  :cup:

Yeh, you're dead right.......but keeping them happy ALL the time.....now thats the hard part.. ;D ;D

My motto is...don't give them a sniff of the good life........what they don't know, won't hurt them !!!!! ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »
With the diesel system you can draw directly from an external water from a river, lake, dam, etc: therefore saving on board water for times when an external water source is not available. I believe you can not do this with gas systems as you need to use tap water as a minimum which means you need to carry substantially more water if you want regular showers. as I rarely intend on staying in a van park I consider this to be a distinct advantage. also the diesel unit is very compact and does not use a holding tank, it works on a heat exchange system which is continuous. Finally If the gas system on your van has a holding tank I seriously doubt it is instant if you are starting from a tank full of cold water  :cheers:

Thanks for that sounds like a pretty good system

take your point regarding the holding tank as well- some things you don't think about unless you read about them, and ask questions to understand the benifits and the caravan park reference was to mention the "unlimited water" like a creek source.

I guess you could (for the 3k) go for a reverse osomsous (sp?) machine to turn bad water to drinking water- that then wouldn't upset the electrodes etc in the hot water system and give unlimited drinking water just need a pump, the machine and some sort of heat exchanger.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 09:26:27 PM »

When your last three camping trips involved the kids waking up in the morning with their hot water bottles frozen like a slushy and then you step outside on the crunchy cold ground to boil the billy to find the gas is frozen...the first thing that crosses your mind when buying a new trailer is hot water and heater...lol

Hence our decision to get them fitted and now we will probably never do another cold trip...

Cheers
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"