Author Topic: Why did you buy your 4wd?  (Read 27926 times)

Offline white Knuckles

• Tent User
Re: Why did you buy your 4wd?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
I started of with a 1974  Toyota Celica and had 2, then the ski boat came along so then the Celia was down graded to an Eb falcon big mistake and thirsty, mates drove hiluxes so naturally went that way so purchased a 1994 dual cab hilux 2.8D very slow but not thirsty and towed well enough, So now it is about to be retired/rust up he on Thursday island and now i am going threw the motions of our next purchase
It needs to be a wagon for our expanding family, The wife needs to like driving it, Turbo diesel, and have low range. We drove a new patrol last time we were down south and it was to truck like and was a bit concerned about the little engine in such a big truck, the new pajero was nice but firm and we could drive one but the 2008 Prado was nice not firm but comfy so if we can find one with low ks for the right price that is our preference. I would love a 100 series cruiser but SWMBO thinks there to big so the Prado is my compromise.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:32:03 PM by white Knuckles »
2010 GXL Prado and old Jayco OB Hawk

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 09:43:16 PM »
We bought our Pajero because:
  • Better price second hand on a bang for buck basis than prado
  • better on road than any similar size 4wd - (especially terracan - went well, handled terrible on road)
  • good reputation for reliability etc
At the end of the day we are pretty happy with it - good on road, and as our only car thats were it spends 90% of the time, pretty good on fuel and does everything we want from a 4wd.  Would like a bit more space sometimes though, but I think thats just lazy packing  ;D

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Diksta

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Where I Should be
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/gbney01
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52:59 PM »
my 1st 4by was a 2000 rodeo td, which wasn't that long ago, i always said i wouldn't buy a 4by till i was ready to use it as a 4by, we took that up the birdsville and oodnadatta tracks, we put a canopy on it to give us more room, but we couldn't keep the dust out of it, mind you it had over 250000 on it,  then it started to get hot when we were towing our 1st camper with the AC on, and when you live in the desert (roxby downs) you need AC, so we started to look at upgrading.  we talked to someone with a brand new navara with a factory canopy and he told it leaked dust bad... that ruled out new or near new dual cabs. then we were concerned with the large back doors on the prados and pajeros, (both my brother and father have them and rave about them),and being able to access the boot with camper hooked up. i got talking to the 4wd mech in port augusta about up grading, at that stage i didn't have a preference to what vehicle it just had to do the job. at the time he was pulling down a fairly new patrol engine, (no offence intended to Trol drivers here), he warned me not to buy one he had had a couple of them in with the same problem, something to do with the fly wheel coming apart, so that really just left the cruiser, we picked one up at a gov auction about 18months ago and couldn't be happier with it.

cheers

Diksta
2016 200 Series
1983 60 Series
POTM November 2009 Winner :cup:
2009 POTY Winner :cup:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49966.new#new

JethroT

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
We bought our Land Cruiser because it was more comfortable than the Hilux we wanted to buy.

We had heard all the good reports about Land Cruisers but thought the ute would be more practical, anyway we manage to fit everything into the Cruiser and it's effortless offroad performance is fantastic.

It's now 16 years old and we can't find anything to replace it, had some bad experiences with a 200 series on a recent trip more breakdowns and dust leaks than the old girl, so we might have to change camps to the Nissan Patrol next time.   

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
Ok this might be a long story...

Well when I met my Husband to be he had a Landcruiser Ute (when I was a kid I remember saying I wanted a jeep or toyota troopy "when I grow up", my first car turned out to be a 2 door honda that didn't like the rain much ???).

Anyhow moving on I think it was on our honeymoon we decided we might have a big family so the honeymoon was actually kind of cut short to go car shopping in Perth, we traded in the ute for a Landcruiser Troopie!

Then after the first kid came along reality set in (no longer wanted to have 9 of them Lol) and we promptly traded the Troopie for a 80 Series Landcruiser....much better, don't have to climb over the groceries to get the kid out!

Add another kid a few interstate moves and a flash new camper, now we needed a 2nd car for the first time. So add another Toyota Landcruiser Ute to the family.

Well a change in camper trailers and then again a move interstate (NSW to WA) saw us trading in the 80 series for a Subaru Forrester, that wasn't well researched and basically done to save the hassle of transferring the 80 (before the new laws came in doh, it was a bit porky on the weight). So I think we traded it to the first dealer that wanted it, and figured we'd save on fuel anyway (that was the recession and fuel prices were through the roof, particularly diesel). At that stage good buy camper trailer because we were building and needed the money plus it was a 4x4 model that the suby couldn't tow too well.

Anyway not long after that we figured we really werent softroader types.... I mean the Subi isn't a real 4x4 yet it's not a normal car either, so hello Toyota Hilux (fits the two kids and I can take the bins to the tip). Should have kept that camper now!
In the meantime the ute he had brought in NSW wans't that great as a long term keeper so he upgraded that, same thing expept in top nick and turbo diesel.

Hello a bit of financial hardship (probably thanks to that flash ute as well as building a house etc etc) so goodbye Hilux. That was replaced with a cheap car (my current Daihatsu).

And now we're about to say good bye Landcruiser Ute, can't really bear to have it sitting in the shed for about 10 years until we retire. It really bugs me that the only 4x4 we have we can't all jump in and go camping somewhere or just for an offroad adventure etc, and especially since Landcruiser man brought a cheap car that's cheaper on fuel for him to drive to and from work.
I must say we were actually going to keep it and possibly get another 4x4 good as a daily driver for me and for trips as a family, but that would still mean having three cars two of which are 4x4's. The only saving grace was that we test drove something that Landcruiser man would be happy to trade his beloved for!

Now we thought about Dual Cabs but I think I've finally given in to the fact that for camping we'll have to tow a trailer regardless, and having had the Hilux dual cab albeit an older style I'm still not sure I want to go back there. So now we're looking at buying a Jeep Wrangler...wohooo! Besides Hubby said he could see himself in that after the kids leave home so whatever converts a Landcruiser man I've got to be happy with that! Me well I've always loved jeeps and I was as impressed with the test drive as I was with the looks, and with that regard I had my doubts I thought the Jeep would just be one of those cars that you love from the outside but in reality would probably never really want to own (like the new Mini Cooper for example). And to be fair we test drove the Mitsubishi Triton too, I love that on paper and the looks however after a test drive it just left me really unimpressed, too modern I suppose, the BT 50 was better but nothing like the Jeep, after going for a drive in the Jeep I just couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

So if it all goes well we'll be halfway there, next thing when finances allow will be to think about some sort of trailer set up, probably not a camper trailer as such but we'll see.

Now perhaps we should have kept that Troopy into which we put a Brunswicks Chev and as a result lost a lot of money trading in in a hurry to buy the 80 before moving states! And then perhaps we should have kept that 80, but even so that would have been getting a bit long in the tooth (it was a 91 model I think). I definitely know we shouldn't have brought the Subaru and probably shouldn't have brought the Hilux (considering Hubby's always called them "****luxes"). But at least we came to our senses when we considered converting his Cruiser Ute into a dual cab, that would have been a lot of money down the drain and it's what prompted us to look into just buying a 4x4 instead.

I think there is always a method to ones madness, I don't really regret owning any of the 4x4's, maybe regreat all the money lost during the process though. But things just seem to have their own way of working out in the end, so if it's meant to be it probably will be. But in the end I guess DH will always be a "Cruizer" man at heart. Hmmm well time will tell on that one!

So yeah perhaps we have been loyal to the Toyota brand and even when we buy the Jeep I've been told I'm not to utter the Nissan word in this house, I know that's definitely not on any consideration list (unfortunately). In my opinion it's just too hard to look past value for money these days. Granted most 4x4's seem to be going the same way and prices are incredibly expensive, but you know for $40-$50k we can get a pretty kitted out and capable Wrangler compared to maybe scratching the surface in any Toyota and most definitely having to look at used models. Well we could literally swap a 5yr old ute for a new wrangler (if we were going for the sport model). In my opinion only Toyota was a brand to beat but I think these days the playing field has leveled a lot more except for maybe the price.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:44:46 PM by Pebble »
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline pumice

• Learning the Ropes
Why did you buy your 4wd?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 02:07:10 AM »
I bought a Defender purely to fulfill a childhood dream.
So I guess I'm Living The Dream hey.

Offline Paul and Bern

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Living for Holidays
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
 ;D Well bought a secondhand 75 series diesel ute (88 model) in 1990 for work (surveying), it did a bit of headland bashing etc but realistically not much.  Got married and thinking of kids(4) and towing near 2t ski boat which meant a larger 4x4 to put in off the side at Tinaroo, so we looked at diesel only Paj, 100 series RV, and Patrol.  Didn't like the Paj as it was the narrow version then in 1998.  The SWMBO tested the 100 and GU and liked the GU better ( 1 for GU).  At the time the ST GU was on road for under $44g with B/bar and T/bar but the 100 was over $55 g for base model and then had the add bars... (2 for GU)(bugger)... anyway the GU ended up home though we thought it was going to have a permanent parking spot outside the dealers (but that's another story).  So we've been, since the bugs were sorted, fairly happy, and comfortable in the old girl, would like at times more grunt though.  SWMBO drives it quite happily when she has to and still reckons it doesn't feel as cumbersome as the 100, but it mainly gets used only for long trips as we have a little Viva for her to run around in.
The ute still goes... probably still costs less to run too, definitely gets better fuel economy....... and only 430k on the clock.
Can every day be made a public holiday?

Offline Garry

• Swag User
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 09:28:33 AM »

That's an easy one considering the one I drive now. A V8 Discovery HSE, Its a fantastic vehicle and even better now I have added a few toys and steel bits to the front and back

However I first bought a series 1 Discovery about 11 years ago, I cant remember why, I must have been sick of our little Astra

I have been progressing up the years and models since

G
Once you make something idiot proof God makes a better idiot

Offline coxy1954

• Tent User
  • 2007 RA Rodeo LX
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »
When we got into the 4x4 camping scene we had a 2002 Disc 2 and Halls off road campertrailer.
As most of my traveling is now solo I prefer to carry my gear rather than dragging it so I have a 2007 Ra Rodeo diesel. It is a very capable and honest tourer and if needed I can still drag my homemade teardrop.

Cheers Dave
http://myswag.org/gallery/v/coxy1954/

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »

At the time I didn't think I could afford a Toyota and was going Mitsubishi. I was driving to order my Pajero when I drove past the Toyota dealer having a sale. Made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Have had several 100s since, they fit my lifestyle, expe3ctations and self image.

I have had a number of Tercell's because  they fit my lifestyle, expectations and self image 8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:42:51 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
That's definitely you mate, tucked up in front, dragging down the back  ;D
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
I wanted a ute based 4x4 to get me and my gear out to the shooting grounds and moutain bike events. At the time the Rodeo was a proven reliable unit at a decent price. As time has marched on it now has to fulfil a few more roles since Mrs Snow interest in getting out west required us to drag a CT around. When I bought it I had just left the Defence Force so I didn't have a lifestyle, expectations or a self image.
Just goes to show what sort of influence something like a 4by can have. I wonder what a 2" lift can do for my self image. ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:28:51 PM by Snow »
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »
we bought our Nissan Navara 04' model just so Hairs had someone to pull his a$$ out of bog holes............bloody hell,the things i do for that bloke  ;D

99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
we bought our Nissan Navara 04' model just so Hairs had someone to pull his a$$ out of bog holes............bloody hell,the things i do for that bloke  ;D

ROFLMAO. That is bloody funny (ya had to have been there)

Offline onions25

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »
After having two 4.2 Diesel Patrols we bought our NS Pajero DiD.

I couldn't bring myself to buy the 3.0ltr Patrol and the 200 Cruiser was just too expensive.

Prado was a very close 2nd in the end but slightly too narrow on the inside for my teenagers in the back.

Pete.

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
It is amazing the different thought processes and experiences that bring poeple to the 4WD they currently have.

Myself?  Well I have been 4WDing since I was knee high to a tree stump.  Dads first 4WD with us as a family was an old FJ55.  He then had a MQ then a GQ then I left home.  I had the V8 bombadoors like all good 21 year olds then bought my first 4WD a GQ diesel, it was an awesome truck, especially living in the NT as we did at the time.  Found my wife, we sold that to pay down out debt and I bought a (shock horror!) an old 1976 Rangie that I had for 6 months, 4 of which were in the shop.  We couldn't live without a fourby and from growing up around 4WD's and being in the club scene and seeing what was and was not reliable the only two 4WD's that met everything I wanted to do was either a GU 4.2 Patrol or a Live Axle GXL hunjy.  In 2002 we bought a 1998 Live Axle GXL hunjy and have had that since. 

I have been thinking about upgrading to the twunjy but I firmly believe Toyota has compromised their engineering and quality (no offence to the twunjy owners) in the last five years as proven in the US and the number of issues arising out of a not insubstantial amount of new Toyota vehicles (not just twunjies).  The twunjy has the issue with oil consumption (not all of them) and like the Nissan 3.0L hand grenade I do not think it has really been solved with a new vacuum pump and other supposed "fixes" as I know of a couple of vehicles that have had the mods and they still use oil.  I know a couple is not necessarily representative of the whole population but it is more than enough to give me pause on throwing down 100 large on a vehicle that is simply not as reliable as the hunyjy was/is.  Plus all those confuser things doing the driving does take away from it.  I guess I am lucky in that we have two at work, so I can satisfy my V8 195Kw Twin turbo diesel desires there (and get paid to drive them) then go on family trips knowing I will make it back without having to call for a helicopter extraction!

Cheers
Dave
2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »

And where would it be if you didn't have to drag my backside out of the bog? It would be sitting in your driveway rusting slowly, Like all Dato's do 
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
After having two 4.2 Diesel Patrols we bought our NS Pajero DiD.

I couldn't bring myself to buy the 3.0ltr Patrol and the 200 Cruiser was just too expensive.

Prado was a very close 2nd in the end but slightly too narrow on the inside for my teenagers in the back.

Pete.
Shoulda gone for the Prado - then you wouldn't need to tie the front on..... ;D
Set your chickens free

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »
Wow great to read everyone's experiences and I must be honest and say so much better than I was hoping for.  I honestly expected a lot of I bought xxxx because it was the best, so it was really cool to read everyones real thought procesess.

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 07:58:47 AM »
In 2003 we were planning a trip into the Flinders ranges with MIL, and since we had a Falcon at the time I arranged to borrow a Disco off a friend for the week.  He reckoned we needed to try it out first so we took it for a weekend on Kangaroo Island, where Liz realised that having a 4wd meant that so many more places were open to us, so we decided to swap the Ford in for a medium sized 4by.

Liz at the time worked for a group which owned a number of car dealerships around Adelaide so we were able to try out many different models.  Because I had always driven diesel manuals (Cruisers and Hiluxes) on the pipeline spreads this is what I was looking for, and we tried out a Prado, Pajero and Jackaroo (Cruisers and Patrols were considered too big - not sure it would have fitted in the garage!) but all of them left Liz with the feeling she was driving a small truck.  Then I found a secondhand 2.5 CRD XJ Cherokee at a dealer and we took it out for a test run - and Liz loved it, it drove like a car.  Almost ready to buy it but the used car manager at the yard where Liz worked told us that the XJ diesel had a bad reputation for engine problems, so that was that.  But one of the Ford dealerships in the group also had a Jeep franchise and we went and tried out the new KJ Cherokee 2.5 CRD manual - and bought one on the spot.  It was everything we needed in a 4wd - just the right size for 2-3 people, easy to drive around town as a daily driver, competent off-roader, comfortable for long trips, and a decent towing capacity.

Now on our second KJ, a 2.8 CRD manual.  This one will have to last, since the KJ is no longer made and quite frankly I think the current KK Cherokee looks downright ugly.  Our first KJ had no modifications at all other than fitting AT tyres, but the current one has been lifted and fitted with bash plates, winch bar, HF & UHF radios, spot lights, etc etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:01:03 AM by Pipeliner »
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline PenUltimate Destinations

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • PenUltimate Destinations
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »
I'll share my story.

About 4 years ago my wife and I decided to get a 4WD. Had to get us off the beaten track, and also be able to to a car trailer and be relatively economical while doing so.

We had a look around, and decided that a Disco II TD5 would do the job. Had a look at a few - found a nice ES model with 7 seats, full leather, all the bits and pieces, so we bought that. And we loved it. And hated it. And loved it. And hated it.

It was a great car, very nice place to be, but gee, it cost us!! Over the past 4 years, perhaps on average about $2000 every 6 months. Finally, only a month or so ago (yes, we're slow learners), we decided enough was enough. Time to flog the LR, and see what we could replace it with for a $0 changeover.

Being a Toyota man since a boy - a 2000 Prado got the nod.

Very fortunate to find a low km, VERY clean example (no carpark battle scars or scratches), never been off road etc - so that now is parked in the garage.

Looking forward to modifying a bit and taking off-road to our favourite spots. I'm a little torn though. I can't decide whether to keep this car now for the LONG term, and spend some money in preparation to take it on some 3 month + trips, OR, to just keep this pretty standard, and in a couple of years time get a 200 TDV8 for the long distance hauls.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:22:19 AM by MY Racing 221 »
Dave Youl

2015 Ultimate Xterra
2006 Lexus LX470
Our blog - http://youl.id.au

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »
about 15 years ago, a mate of mine took me 4wding for the first time in the Vic high country.  I remember vividly coming to the top of Mt Sterling and seeing Craig's Hut and the incredible view that backdrops this iconic location.  I literally had tears in my eyes thinking that without a 4wd I couldn't get to places like this.  I came away from that trip determined to get a 4wd no matter what it cost.

Our first one was a Diahatsu Feroza.  I loved that little truck.  It wasn't exactly a go anywhere vehicle but boy it had some guts and took some punishment.  The only reason I sold it was we purchased a camper trailer and the poor little engine struggled to pull it up any sort of hill.  I was sad to see it go.

Next we had a Discovery V8.  What a toy that car was...!  Plenty of guts and sweet note from the exhaust, it made the best noise climbing up steep hills.  I would have kept it too only I had left my high paying career and the price of fuel just killed it.

Next was the Discovery TDi.  I've said it before, this was the best vehicle I've ever had.  Comfortable, capable, efficient and despite popular opinion, was totally reliable.  Even if something had broken (mainly due to my lack of maintenance) it just kept going.  11 years of faithful service.

When it came time to trade the old girl, we were keen on another Land Rover.  The new Discovery was just out of the financial question.  SWMBO just couldn't deal with taking an $80k 4WD off road and getting it scratched.  We looked at the Defender and with the latest model, its a VERY nice vehicle.  But at the time there was a 6 month waiting list and the dealers weren't doing any deals.  In fact, they were selling them above retail to people who didn't want to wait in the queue.  We left the dealership feeling very disheartened.  On a bit of a whim, we decided to drop in on Essendon Nissan to see what was available with a Patrol.  I already knew a LandCruiser was out of the question financially.  

Well...we found the best car salesman ever, a really nice bloke who genuinely wanted to help us and obviously wanted our business.  They had a manual Walkabout special ready to go.  This was perfect.  It was a basic DX model but had all the goodies already fitted at no extra cost.  Bull bar, tow bar, cargo barrier, snorkel, cruise control, 6 stack CD, 16" alloys, and $2000 worth of camping gear.  It was an unreal deal.  They also offered us a trade in on the old girl that was well above what I expected and that was sight unseen.  It literally was a deal we couldn't refuse.  A week later we took delivery.

I was still sad to see the old Disco go but hopefully someone has picked her up and is giving her the TLC she deserves.  

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 12:36:04 PM »
- and Liz loved it, it drove like a car.  

That's exactly why I use to love the Jeeps

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
I hear you guys it's amazing how sometimes your favourtie car is the one that gives you the most grief financially. 

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »
We started with a 1 year old 2006 Suzuki Jimny which we purchased as a bit of a test to see if we'd use a 4x4, and what a test it was! We loved it! Loaded with our tent, tarp, and kitchen gear we took it everywhere we dared to go and it just never stopped.. Infact, I never ever bogged the thing. Perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough!

So, test over, we needed to sell the 2-door Jimny and upgrade to something serious with kids inbound and some grand around-oz travel plans brewing. We didn't want a 4x4 wagon (Prado, Challenger, etc) so we looked around at the 40K utes (didn't waste my time with a Hilux - in my opinion, a rip-off), and chose a 2008 Triton dual-cab ute, which we quickly put a custom alloy tray on to get rid of the tub (I like using a ute as it was intended, as a ute!).. Below are some of our reasons:

- out of all of the utes, it was the one that felt least like a truck and more like a car around town.. very important as at the time it was our only car
- turning circle was smaller than others.
- the rear seat space cannot be beaten.. infact nothing comes close in terms of space, and also seat quality (angle, comfort).
- we liked the proven 3.2L TD engine, as opposed to the smaller sized Diesels that were starting to appear at the time -infact I still like the 3.2L over the new 2.XL which replaced it.
- the 5 year warranty, and 10 year drive-train warranty -again, unbeatable
- The VR model we purchased had inclusions like cruise-crontrol, power-everything, and a powered rear window & demister which nothing at that price point could equal.
- it's just damn sexy. No offence intended if you have one, but line it up next to a boxey BT-50, Colorado, or a Navara and there's no comparison..

So now with a black Lifestyle Extenda on the way, we've got a matching black Triton dual-cab for whatever trips we want to do, be it bitumen, or off-road.