Author Topic: Anyone tried the Maxxis AT-980 All Terrain Tyres?  (Read 40661 times)

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
Anyone tried the Maxxis AT-980 All Terrain Tyres?
« on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »
Anyone tried the  Maxxis AT-980 All Terrain Tyres?

Thinking of replacing my 2 year old OEM tyres on my Mahindra Pik-up ute with All Terrain Maxxis AT-980

The tread patten looks fairly open, I wonder how noisy they will be, my other option is to use Yokohama Geolandar ATS G012

Looking at the Maxxis AT-980 All Terrain Tyres \, they certainly look bit more off road orientated.

So far I have been quoted $280 per tyre.For 245/75/16

:cheers:

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Anyone tried the Maxxis AT-980 All Terrain Tyres?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:02:18 AM »
I've had them on my Pajero since December 2013, done about 7000km. Wearing well, handle well but they are noisy. Starts getting noticeable at about 40kph then wind noise takes over at 80kph. Cost me $268 fitted and balanced. Prices ranged from $263 to $330. Size is 265/75/16, I assume 245 would be cheaper.

Here is a copy of a post I made about them on another forum in January.

Currently touring in Esperance/Cape Arid and was going to do a report when I got home but got some reception here at Duke of Orleans Bay!

The tyres are awesome so far! In saying that any good all terrain should be good out here. Mainly firm beaches with some real soft spots around rocky outcrops, gravel roads with small/medium corrugations and some stretches of dodgy blacktop.

On the beach they need a bit more air out of them. Used to use about 18psi but that didn't feel right with these tyres. Went to 15psi and it went much better. Even got off the beach at Alexander Bay towing the camper where 3 other 4x4s got stuck not towing. Mighty proud moment that one!!!!

On the gravel/corrugations I dropped pressures to around the 28-32psi. Stuck the transfer in 4H not locked and was very happy with the grip especially on the corners. Only came close to getting unstuck on one corner (70kph advisory sign, I was doing 60kph) where everyone took the low corner regardless of which way they were travelling. Due to a previous head on smash I stayed on the outside of the corner (the correct side haha) and the big corrugations caused the Paj to drift a bit but the ESC kicked in and all was good.

No chipping so far that I can see, wear seems even. Will do a full check when I get home. One thing that surprised me was that they don't pick up many rocks between the tread lugs whereas the Maxxis AT 700 on the trailer do.

On road they are like any new tyre, grip in the dry/wet no probs. They do make a bit of noise, starting at about 40kph until the wind/road noise takes over at about 70-80kph. Compared back to back with the old Maxxis 751 they are pretty noisy but I soon got used to it. The missus hardly noticed the difference.

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Supersi

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:20:19 AM »
I've been running the 980's on my Ranger for the last 15000km's. They perform well on and off road and yes will be noisier then the oem. I agree with nab's comments.

They are very similar to the BFG A/T but at a better price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
We have them on our DMax. Only done a few thousand km's so far. They are a bit noisy but nowhere near as bad as the Maxxis muddies on my Rodeo. I got them for $249 fitted for the 245/75 r16.

Seem to do ok in the wet stuff around home, but haven't had them out in serious stuff yet.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »
We had maxxis on our work Rangers.  They put them on because they were cheap.  They tried to balance them often, because they are cheap.  They wore rapidly, because they are cheap.  They were crap in the wet, because they were crap in the wet.

:) 

With tyres I really think spending more for a quality tyre is worth every dollar. 

Just my maxxis.  :)

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
We had maxxis on our work Rangers.  They put them on because they were cheap.  They tried to balance them often, because they are cheap.  They wore rapidly, because they are cheap.  They were crap in the wet, because they were crap in the wet.

With tyres I really think spending more for a quality tyre is worth every dollar. 

Funny that we had them on  a couple of twin cab four wheel drives at work. Can't remember them being suicidal in the wet, although we did suffer from balance and alignment issues, balancing may have been a tyre issue although they were used in a bit of low range staff which may have contributed to the issue.  I don't know about Dazzlers opinion but I believe it's probably not fair comparing a tyre used on a work truck as opposed to a personally owned one. Work four wheel drives are quicker, unstoppable in the rough, chew tyres and give rubbish fuel economy  ??? The  most capable four wheel drive I've ever driven was a work  :police: four wheel drive Pajero! If others are getting 70,000 Km's out of them and the value is there I'd be happy with that :cup:

Cheers ,

Disco teddy.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:42:49 PM by discoteddy »
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
Hi Disco.  Should have made it a bit clearer.  These were fitted to the three rangers that I had control of and one was my personal drive after work as well.  We really had all sorts of issues with them.  May have been a bad batch of course.

Though I stand by the buy quality tyres comment.  Cheers

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
Hi Disco.  Should have made it a bit clearer.  These were fitted to the three rangers that I had control of and one was my personal drive after work as well.  We really had all sorts of issues with them.  May have been a bad batch of course.

Though I stand by the buy quality tyres comment.  Cheers

Too easy mate, that makes more sense, we all know how stuff gets trashed when different blokes drive them with no responsibility. We had a bloke at a one man sector who was throwing away clutches in a std 100 series diesel , didn't make sense till I went for a drive with him, he loved 2nd gear starts, "firsts just too low you know!"

Anyway my apologies , back on topic.

Cheers,

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

scarps

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 06:29:32 PM »

We have them on our DMax. Only done a few thousand km's so far. They are a bit noisy but nowhere near as bad as the Maxxis muddies on my Rodeo. I got them for $249 fitted for the 245/75 r16.

Seem to do ok in the wet stuff around home, but haven't had them out in serious stuff yet.
saw these today on lino6's 4by and they're a good looking AT. I put BFG's on last year as the old Maxxis AT's just didn't look good, but these new ones definitely worth consideration.  The comments re noise are interesting.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »
Why the extra price  ..  yes I'm in Darwin..  things cost more in Darwin.

Hmm, taking on what Dazzler said and the other comments about noise, I am starting to think  Yokohama Geolandar ATS G012, as I can get those for $260 each.

The following users thanked this post: Two shoes

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »
I should say that they are noisier than the original road tyres were, I'm can't compare them to other ATs. But the noise isn't unbearable like running some muddies with the windows down! With the windows up and the radio going you wouldn't hear them. I have put my muddies on the DMax and can definitely hear them with the radio going, but the ATs are OK IMO.
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
I should say that they are noisier than the original road tyres were, I'm can't compare them to other ATs. But the noise isn't unbearable like running some muddies with the windows down! With the windows up and the radio going you wouldn't hear them. I have put my muddies on the DMax and can definitely hear them with the radio going, but the ATs are OK IMO.

This ute that lino6 is talking about is my daily driver and I was concerned about the possible road noise when we first looked at putting them on as he had said they were a bit chunkier than the AT's I had on before but honestly I have not noticed a huge difference I usually have the radio on when driving anyway and rarely have the window down.  I already had some wind noise around my snorkel and do not notice the tyres any more than this.  I guess we can give a better review of them when we have done more k's on them but I am happy with how they are going.

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 01:27:37 AM »
Yokohama Geolanders G012 were the winners  :cup: and  were fitted today
Pictures added to my Mahindra Pik-up thread http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17679.msg589217#msg589217

Why the Yokohama Geolanders G012 were my choice
  • Free road hazard protection  -- apparently one can even claim staking http://www.yokohama.com.au/Footer/Tyre-Promotions/4x4-Road-Hazard-Program.aspx
    As noted :
    Free tyre replacement applies when:
    A. The tyre cannot be safely repaired.
    B. The tyres have greater than 75% of their original tread depth remaining. In this case the tyres will be replaced for free.
  • I had them before on a R51 Pathfinder, and they were quiet, and were good off road, worked surprising well in mud
  • A little cheaper (not that counts for much)
  • Availability --  Yokohama Geolanders G012 245/75/16 were available immediately

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:44 AM »

your work should have paid for a higher level scale vehicle and paid more for the alignment can not comment on the wet road because rain is free but i am wondering if the roads that you drove on was made on the cheap ----

I have had Maxxis Bravo ( different to what your posting about )on my Prado never had an issue done nearly 90 000 km on them now and still no signs of needing replacing wear evenly not to noisy good on and off road what more could i ask for = oh yes they are cheap which is even better
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline scubasteve

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »

Were these the Maxxis AT-980's ?

Cheers Stephen

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »
Try telling the people who had all sorts of issues with Coopers tyres a few years back that they shouldn't have been stingy when buying tyres haha!

Good luck with the new boots, look similar to the Maxxis 700 which have have great reviews.

NOTE: Circumstances surrounding the Coopers tyre issue eludes me at the moment, maybe a google will help you out. Don't shoot the messenger!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline tourin n fishin

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:23:25 PM »
Good choice ;D ;D

I have the yokies and after 10,000km they have no noticeable wear despite my dodgy old suspension bushes (180.000km and still original) and are super sticky in the wet.

Matt

2003 GRj-120 Prado GXL
Custom trailer, oztrail camper 7 top

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 01:06:37 PM »
Why the extra price  ..  yes I'm in Darwin..  things cost more in Darwin.

Hmm, taking on what Dazzler said and the other comments about noise, I am starting to think  Yokohama Geolandar ATS G012, as I can get those for $260 each.

The Yokohama Geolanders are not up to serious off road work front ones only got 35k, that was the trip  which included the GRR.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »
The Yokohama Geolanders are not up to serious off road work front ones only got 35k, that was the trip  which included the GRR.

Oh I'm O.K. with 35K ;) --  I not sure what you meant about "serious" off road work   --  Have been giving the Yokohama Geolanders a bit of a work out already  -- over the Easter and Anzac weekwnds.

Offline Dogsbreakfast

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
We replaced our yokos with hankook rf10s at the recommendation of my tyre guy. They are an excellent tyre all round at a great price and will be fitting them to my wifes vehicle as soon as its landed. You will struggle to find a bad review of the rf10s.
http://www.somuchviral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/beer-holder.gif

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
Did a trip to Craig's hut last weekend in the wet and I thought our Maxxis tyres went well. Managed to straddle some ruts without slipping in and climbed well without slipping. I'm happy with them so far. Now just to see how they wear.

Sent from somewhere on something with that tap thing

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »
I have gotten 55K from a set of STMaxx 265/75x16LT on my FZJ105 Auto.
They look about 1/2 worn.  Been running them at 45psi cold on my 3 tonne truck.
They're wearing reasonably flat.  Apparently the left front can be a problem on these  trucks.
Just align them about 10K Klm.'s interval.  Seems  to work.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.