Author Topic: rustprooofing you framework  (Read 1720 times)

Offline crispy

• Swag User
rustprooofing you framework
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
Hi all have heard about a method of rustproofing sub framework from another forum to do with fishing ,now boat trailers get a hammering from salt water but i thought i would throw this up to see what people think,from memory it requires a small hole to be drilled in each peice of framework then filled to a degree with oil used as you are going to throw it out anyway  then the holes are filled with a plug either rubber or plastic ,the theory is as you drive the oile coats the inside of the framework to prevent it rusting ,i havent used this myself only heard about it just wondering what people think of the idea
crispy ;D

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
Re: rustprooofing you framework
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »
Someone must have forgotten that oil is lighter than water.  I think you might be better off pouring some fishoil in and filling the hole, or maybe some cheap paint. just a though... 8)
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: rustprooofing you framework
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
Gday crispy,

Used to be a spray painter on the coast and rustproofed loads of cars and 4x4s with fish oil.Some I did in the early 90s are still going. I guess you could do what you propose buit ive never tried.I have drilled holes and pumped fish oil into places with a spray line that has a 4 way spray on it to coat the inside.You could use a garden sprayer  with a long thin tube on the end or something similar if you dont have a compressor.The pro beach fisherman next to my folks coats his old 1980 ute cruiser in every oil he can get his hands on and its still  going. There are other products like tectryl and waxoil.....  but I use fishoil because I know it works... ive never seen a rusty fish!!

Pete
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....