Author Topic: Pole carrier  (Read 3107 times)

Offline chucky

• Learning the Ropes
Pole carrier
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
Hi all.
I'd be grateful of any suggestions for carrying poles in our camper trailer. My partner and I have just purchased an entry level soft floor camper with front toolbox, stone guard and spare wheel. The poles are heavy and I don't want to be shifting them every time we set up the camper, because the annex wont be used all the time. There doesn't seem to be anywhere externally where I could mount a pole carrier. This might seem simple and common sense to some but am also thinking about fitting  marine carpet to line the inside of the 7x4 trailer to avoid scratching etc. Any thoughts on these matters would be appreciated. Cheers

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
Re: Pole carrier
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:05:03 AM »
Hi Chucky,

Looks like this was your first post. Welcome to MySwag

I'd suggest you post a couple of pics of your trailer and the creative tinkerers on the forum will have a better idea of how to tackle your problem.
Many here have come up with heaps of different solutions.

For myself, I ended up squeezing 2 x 100mm conduits between the guard and tent top on one side.
Link to a pic below.

http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/20991-1/IMGP1916_1.JPG

I also have two sideways conduits between the toolbox & trailer tub, but not every trailer has enough room in that gap.

If there is simply no room outside, you could partition off a narrow section on one side of the tub.

:cheers:

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17:16 AM »
Gday Chucky and welcome to My Swag.

I used 150mm PVC pipe with screw caps on each end as in photo, or to read another thread on pole carriers take a look at this.

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=9743.0
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:41:58 AM »
Chucky Welcome to MySwag . Your in the right place got CT & you in to the Mods already , Well Done . 73bubba has got the pic up of the pole holder , they do tend to unscrew themselves . A locking pin through the cap will stop this & at each end some spoungy rubber to stop them slapping the cap .Some have arrived at camp with out the poles which is not ideal. If you need to know ask . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline ScottnRach

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
I have a similiar problem with having a good place to store the annex poles.  I reckon I have enough room behind the toolbox on the drawbar, my dumb question is, what is the best way to secure the poly pipe to the drawbar, and how do you install a good locking mechanism so that the lids don't come off. 

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
Chucky,
On our Complete Campsite they just go in a canvas bag and get thrown on top of the camper before I pull the cover over, I have not had a single problem yet, I imagine it would be your easiest and cheapest option as well.
If I am not using them for the night I slide them under the trailer still in the bag.
Saying that though, I only have about 4 poles and about 9 spreaders in the bag so it's not heavy....

Renno

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »
In my case the wife makes me setup the awaning at every camp, only takes a extra 5 to do it then you have somewhere to sit if it rains or the sun wants to kick into high gear.
btw we store the ploes under the bed, since there is only 4 poles no big deal ;D
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline Pyro

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
Welcome chucky,
if you do use 150mm sewer pipe just make sure you use good quality brackets. It makes it really hard to set upcamp with no poles.
Cheers Pyro

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
hi,
we just chuck our poles in on the bed, along with the kids air matresses,sleeping bags,pj's etc etc etc etc,
cheers
Garry