Author Topic: Cattle in the high country - 'dog whistleing' only fools dogs...  (Read 20489 times)

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Cattle in the high country - 'dog whistleing' only fools dogs...
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
I think that wanting to allow cattle to graze the high country is largely sentimental; I can understand it, I love reading Banjo Patterson, and have ridden horses through that area. There is surely no longer a "need" for this, as we have highly productive grazing areas outside the alpine regions.

I support appropriate land use; be it mining, grazing, housing, recreation or exclusion. Trouble is agreeing on "appropriate".
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
Like Seb said to Jim Craig, "I think they have heard about the drought proof grazing up here."

Rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
How do you get noticed , put up lots & LOTS of long winded pages of mind numbing drivel as a broad spectrum scatter gun approuch to a topic . All I want to know is what do we know about Bovine Neamatoads  in Mac springs & there effect on humans . Thats where this started & as an unanswered question it has spun off almost out of control at a million miles a sec . Lets just back up to the start as if its going to stand up by its self thats where it should be .
The usual approach is to start then chuck all sorts of stuff in the air this will blot out the reality of whats really giong on . A thinly vailed political rant  . I dont want to see the forum go down this track . Politics & Religion are best cept to ones self  & should be .
I wont get sucked into a slanging match as such on these topics

Speewa

I take it this is directed at me. A mental giant like youself talking about someone else dribbling on this forum has to be about the most contradictory thing i have ever read. Your insessive mindless bable makes spam look informative...
I'm not going to post on this thread again but it you want to discuss it come and see me next time your up this way.
Living the Dream.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »
Darren you're a legend.

Don't care what anyone else says.......

:cheers:

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
It's very true though, the point made above is spot on - understanding and respecting another persons priorities.

It's a pretty standard trait or attribute in the people I choose to hang around.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
Cool heads everyone :cheers:

I think the problem is that if a natural area has ever seen any non indigenous involvment then it is not pristine.

As Darren said, we all want to stop the overdevelopment of an area we love. When I was a teen, we could go to Myall lakes and camp anywhere around any of the lakes. Now NPWS have fenced off the bulk of the area for regeneration. Is it the same as the untouched bush? Nope.

It is up to everyone that travels/camps/uses an area to leave it in the best condition possible. One would hope this does not include scars from  circle work, small eroded hill climbs, fire pits/ash piles, empties etc. When I was a kid in the Snowies around Yaouk cattle grazing was part and parcel of the land use. I lost count of the times I saw a real fat pig... oh wait, it's a cow, in the spotlight.

Cyclic management may be the answer. Every farmer knows this. Or cane toads.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Looks like someone left the paddock gate open  >:D up the back of Mt Stirling  ;D

2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »
at the risk of being yell out the grazer that puts cattle up there will have to pay for the priveledge to do so.
anyway while there is cattle up there  they can not lock us out

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 01:23:47 AM »
BBloody hell, put up a thread and watch'em post!
Thanks for the tone of the posts here.  A bit different from the attacks I copped for trying to post some information on the huts thread.

Toad, on page 1 of the thread, yes, I'm opposed to cattle in the high country.  The link I posted is to a bibliography of peer reviewed scientific papers over the best part of 60 years, the overwhelming weight of which shows an absence of evidence that grazing reduces / minimises fire risk.
Of course this grazing has a 'romantic' image, however in reality it is nothing more than a few local farmers being able to run more cattle than would be the case if they were limited to their private farm land. In short, a minority of farmers get an advantage over others who don't have access to cheap alpine grazing.

Redback summed it up well – cattle don’t eat leaf litter, so they can’t do much to reduce fuel load in the treed areas.

As to the title of the thread:
I have met a number of MySwagers, and am happy to be judged by how they found me.  However, in my opinion what was thrown at me by one poster on the Huts thread is nothing short of ‘dog whistling’.  Here is what I mean.

What I posted:
Vallejo Gantner Hut.  He was a bushwalker / ski tourer, can't remember which.  Gets damn cold there in winter - have built and slept in an 'igloo' there.
The one problem there is that water must be boiled because of cattle nematodes in the water.  (Nematodes end up in your BRAIN they are both invisible and dangerous. Don't let kids drink from the supply if you are there.)
Cattlemen have a romantic historic image, but cattle have caused significant environmental damage.
FWI, I would’ve thught that a commnt about the water there, and th need to boil it, was on-topic. 

I also responded to a post from Speewa asserrting that grazing reduced the risk of fire.  I indicated that to my understanding is that the evidence is to the contrary, and also explained why carrying heaps of water / fuel to boil contaminated water is impractical.
None of my posts or responses from others had been abusive and exchanges had been conducted in a positive spirit – but then it wasn’t the 12 volt thread!

These attacks then followed 24 hours later:  (my rebuttal in italics.)
Barry

I call BS on your claim ... You've been greenwashed 
(,I or anyone, should give a damn about what you ‘call’ WHY?  And what is ‘greenwashed’, other than a bit of BS name calling on your part?)

It's actually the unhygenic disposal (or lack thereof) of human fecal matter that will make you sick up there. 
(Feacal bacteria will make you sick anywhere.  I did NOT say the water would “make you sick”.  What I was talking about is not bacterial, it does not “make you sick”, it is an organism, is largely a-symptomatic, i.e. no symptoms, and takes significant time for the effect of its paristism to appear. 
Oh, almost forgot, where is the proof that it is feacal contamination that is the problem with te water supply at Macalister Springs?)

Most of Australia has cattle within drinking water catchments and I haven't seen this one popping up on ACA or TT every fortnight or so with sensationalised headlines to warn the unsuspecting public.
(My apologies, wasn’t aware that being reported on  A Current Affair / Today Tonight had become the legal definition what makes an issue legitimate.  Wouldn’t matter much though would it, as you say that these programs are “sensationalised”, so either of them reporting something you disagree with would hardly convince you anyway, would it?)

Have a think about it and stop spreading your rubbish
(Think about what, that I don’t rely on ACA / TT as the fonts of all knowledge? Or that you say I am ‘spreading rubbish’?)

Thanx
Stevo

Barry where is this "Heaps of evidence"???  (A link to a bibliography of scientific articles is at the start of this thread.  Easy to find on the web, why did you need to ask?)

and regarding the quality of water ... please tell your bushwalking buddies the to follow the basics regarding disposal of their own wastes and then everyone will be able to use the water … (Why not my bike riding / 4X4 driving / camper trailer towing ‘buddies’ as well?  Are you from the USA, most Ausies I know would refer to their ‘mates’, not “buddies”.  Oh, I get it, bushwalking is ‘un Australian’, so you refer to them by a non-Australian term. What a clever bit of dog whistling!) ... nothing to do with the cattle (and you have what proof of this? Where is YOUR evidence?) unfortuately for those spreading the lies (Now anyone who express a belief that cattle are responsible for water pollution at Macalister Springs are lying?  On what basis do you call me a liar?  )

you really have been greenwashed (so your claim regarding this in the previous post was wrong, but now it is not?  What changed, apart from the fact that I expressed an opinion different to you for the second time.)

Thanx Barry, for your unnecessary response.

Namecalling ??? I called you Barry in both posts and called you nothing else. 
(You called me ‘Liar’, lumped me in the un-Australian named group of ‘bushwalking buddies’, and repeatedly referred to me as ‘greenwashed’.)

I resisted the urge to respond to your posts earlier  in the hope they would be moderated as irrelevant to the topic,
(so, OK to comment on anything about huts, other than the need to boil water?) unsubstantiated (you didn’t like what evidence I posted) and devisive (I disagreed with what you believe) but after a few days I was unable to let the posts stand unchallenged. (So, the mods should take down down whatever you disagree with 48 hours?  What makes you the arbiter?)
Thats how this Greenwashing works ... enough people say it and it becomes fact ... as shown in your post
(More to the point, Dog Whistling works by disparaging people who are different to you, enjoy recreational activities that you don’t, and accusing them of ulterior motives, and without any evidence of your own, accusing them of lying.)

The maps aren't evidence and don't say why the water needs to be boiled - certainly not scientific.  (They are certainly evidence that it needed to be boiled, and also that it had not been thought similarly necessary to provide similar warnings for other camp sites.)

which is why your buddies thought it wouldn't effect anyone (presumably you mean walkers in general)...
 also less knowledge on the impacts and effects of bad hygiene (Ignorance of the the effects of bad hygiene in 1975, really?  Where is your evidence for that? )

It was undrinkable in other places as well ..(Where? On what evidence?)
same argument could be used regarding these "nematodes" and cattle (Why?  If the water made people ‘sick’ it would probably be feacal bacteria.  As previosly stated, becoming sick is not the problem with nematodes.  Nematodes are only introduced by previously infected stock.)

"Bush telegraph" (So, an interview with athe relevant Federal Minister on Radio National, in which he cites the findings of peer reviewed scientific research is not good enough, presumably ACA / TT would be OK though, judging by your previous comments.)
and "Alps at the crossroads" certainly wouldn't pass for scientific evidence (however, it cites plenty scientific evidence including longitudinal studies).
I own a copy of "Alps at the crossroads" and if you've read it like you read my namecalling posts (what, Liar, etc?) I'm not surprised by the conclusions you've drawn.

Coming from a background like yours (which is? … dog whistle) with the "them vs us" mentality (evidence? … dog whistle) of a junior employee on the Dept Crown lands and survey, (dog whistle:  public servant = anti-cattlemen) I can see that yourr position is not evidence based anyway.
(That’s right, I was merely in the position to read the correspondence on the files first hand.  Those letters are what is known as ‘primary evidence’.  Ssome cattlemen were notorious for disregarding requirements of grazing licences.  The files went back years, presumably they are now all archived.  They should all still be accesable to any enquiry, however.)

Hopefully all these posts can be deleteted as irrelevant to the thread and if you'd wish to discuss it further please start a separate thread and I'll happily discuss there. 

Stevo
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:43:35 AM by barry1956 »
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline gramps

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 06:30:15 AM »

Well handled barry1956.  Very interesting thread actually, for a lot of different reasons.

Regards

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
I really want to say something here but I will hold my tongue. I hope another poster does the same.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DANBRI

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 06:58:54 AM »
I really want to say something here but I will hold my tongue. I hope another poster does the same.

X2

I am pleased that I have more joyful things to fill out my day than debate about cattle in the high country!

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »
I know I am in the middle of night shifts and could very well have missed it, but have been surfing looking for anything dealing with Bovine Nematodes and their affect on Humans and drinking water. 

If anyone has something specific to that please post.   

From what I could find nematodes are quite prolific and are already in most areas without to much assistance of bovine or other animal and human help.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »
Scientists on both sides can write studies and findings to the cows come home (pardon the pun), the reality is there is a cost with everything we as humans do on the planet. The question in this case should be, is the cost worth the benefit rather than should we do this.
Science is not about 'sides', it is about gaining knowledge from critical review of hypotheses (fancy term for theories) using evidence. Sometimes theories are confirmed, other times not.  This process is called 'peer review'. Articles published in scientific journals have all been peer reviewed.  Likewise PHD / Masters research papers. 
Lots of what appears in the press / books is just 'argument' but hasn't been submitted for peer review and can't be considered genuinely 'scientific'.
IMO, the question is what is the best way to manage our National Parks for their two key purposes - public enjoyment and the maintenance of the environment.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline sschmez

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • sschmez's "Huts" photos on flickr
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »
Barry,

Your off topic and unsubstantiated claims in the other thread remain BS.
You have shown no scientic basis for your claims and nor has anyone else.

Maps and stories don't cut it

Stevo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:14:01 AM by sschmez »

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:45 PM »
Lighten up lads   ;D

Dunno about Grazing but they are certainly breeding  :cheers: :cheers:

Always look on the bright side of life.......:cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »
Jeezus guys, whatever happened to civil discusions, this ain't Overlander ???
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
Someone call the locksmith.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »

I think the cows are being very civil towards each other, unless of course they're bulls then that is another topic altogether.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline DANBRI

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »
Someone call the locksmith.

haha  ;D

Offline stockhorse

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
Just a few points from personal experience.
It is not rich land barons that run their stock there.
It is not free,they pay the govt for the priveledge.
A lot of the argument was originally that the govt had contracts for the next number of years.These contracts got cancelled with very little notice,leaving several with little option than to cull significant numbers of their herds.
Are people aware that one of the reasons given for no longer allowing grazing was because of proposed commercial developement of the area?
I was very involved when this was originaly decided but my memory is shot and I can't recall many of the details.As to research that has been done regarding reducing fire hazards I believe that there was equal ammounts of peer tested studies on both sides of that debate and nothing conclusive was able to be decided.
As for hard hooved animals causing major damage the argument was put forward that there are twice the number of goats and horses( brumbies) in the area than there are cows.This was supported by NPWS and NPWS even suggested the eradication of these species before restricting or banning grazing.
I love that area of our country and have spent much time there. I have no real opinion on whether grazing should be allowed or not but ,I do have definate views on the area being locked down or commercial interest allowed to access areas (paid tours etc) that the general public cannot.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 09:50:24 AM »
Lighten up lads   ;D

Dunno about Grazing but they are certainly breeding  :cheers: :cheers:

Always look on the bright side of life.......:cheers:

Look's like  scientific proof,  The grass is not greener on the other side of that fence... :cup:
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
& if it is you end up getting it given to you asusual  >:D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
Barry,

Your off topic and unsubstantiated claims in the other thread remain BS.
You have shown no scientic basis for your claims and nor has anyone else.

Maps and stories don't cut it

Stevo

Stevo, here is the page of peer reviewed posts to scientific articles of the impact of cattle grazing, previously posted on page 1 of this thread.  http://www.cowpaddock.com/references.html
Happy to see anything similar for scientific published articles to the contrary.

No I don't have any documentary evidence from 35 years ago, however I was there at the time and put my recollections on the forum for the benefit of others - all can take it or leave it as they choose.

You obviously see humans as the source of water pollution at Mac Springs, would be happy to see your evidence for that?

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:46 PM »

Baz,

I think I have been civil / rational in my posts.  I started this thread in order to try and have a coherent discussion on the subject of cattle grazing.  I think most posting to it have done so in that spirit.

There is always the minority who choose not to.  Such is Life.