Author Topic: October too late for SA desert tracks?  (Read 3868 times)

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
October too late for SA desert tracks?
« on: February 25, 2011, 04:33:31 PM »
Hi All,

We're planning to leave Vic at the end of September, and spend all of October touring. Plan is to head straight to Adelaide and up into Flinders Ranges, then on to Strezlecki/Birdsville/Oodnadatta tracks, before up to Uluru etc. Return trip will be across through NSW mainly, not desert.

From others' experience, is early-mid October too late to be doing the desert tracks? Don't want to cook!

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
Re: October too late for SA desert tracks?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
Can't say for sure, I live in Coober Pedy and it does fluctuate, last year around that time it was not too bad and would have been okay to do that trip but it could get really hot - September the year before we went to Dalhousie for the weekend it was something like 47 when we drove in was almost too hot to swim - but still did and we got absolutely smashed by mozzies.  Personally I wouldn't plan to do that but if you have no other time?? then I would do it. Make sure your cooling system and AC is up to scratch it's certainly do able.  Then again we have just re-opened all the roads around here after summer storms and temps dropped to very low 26ish for a few days.  Who can tell what the weather is doing these days??

Probably haven't been much help but your sort of asking 'how long is a piece of string'.

Good luck

cheers
Cheers Phil & Wendy
2013 Hilux D/C & 2013 Ultimate XTRK
Have fun, your here for a good time not a long time.

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
Probably haven't been much help but your sort of asking 'how long is a piece of string'.

Twice its length from the centre :D
Cheers Glenn

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
G'Day Cruza,

Yeah, not ideal I know, but SWMBO went and got herself a good job ( :cheers: ;D) which pretty much nails the dates. We've got no fixed plans, so either way will be watching the weather as we go, but old weather info' made October sound bearable.

Will see how it goes - after last year's drenching on our Qld trip I won't be as pig-headed about "sticking to the plan".... ;D

Either way, it's been a good push to get the Prado hardened up. She'll be a beast come October!

Cheers,

Cam

Oh, btw, what would you recommend camping-wise in Coober Pedy? We'll have the CT.
Set your chickens free

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »
We did the Oodnadatta Track last October and it was perfect conditions with wild flowers everywhere but 3 weeks earlier it was flooded and closed to all traffic with people stranded at William Creek for a while, but if you go prepared it could all be part of the experience.

During the weeks before you leave keep an eye on outback road closures, use the link below to see the website we used.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/area2.asp

Oh and have a fantastic trip, the desert is a beautiful place.  :cheers:

NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
Oh, btw, what would you recommend camping-wise in Coober Pedy? We'll have the CT.

There's not much in town, we stayed at the 'caravan park' not really a caravan park, more like a line up of overnighters with a big locked fence around it. You probably want to camp out of town or stay in an underground hotel.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
I was at cooper pedy first about 12 years ago. It was a colorful outback town with heaps of different types of people, There was a substantial tourist industry and we enjoyed it. I was there a year and a half ago. Half the people have gone, the tourist stuff have closed and the 'Locals' had take over with drunken fights to listen to as you sleep. A mate was their last year and had a few 'Locals' Try and bail him up at the big servo then they tried to get in his car.
 I was yarning with an old miner that had been their for years and he said the money was gone, then so did a lot of the people, then the void was filled by the scum..
 Just my impression

PS
 I would rather go in october than june/july. The crowds then will drive you mad
Living the Dream.

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:28 PM »
73Bubba - thanks for that link, hadn't seen that before.

D4D / Darren - sounds like camping out of town may be the go on all counts. Not too worried about the "locals", we have plenty out our way so used to 'em.... ;D

One plus about October is (hopefully) the hordes will be mostly gone, so shouldn't have to fight for a good camp spot.

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline 95cruza

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
Mate, I would recommend the Stuart Range C/P if staying in C/P it's on the way into C/P from the Stuart Hwy, sites are good, has a pool, they do gourmet pizzas, have some new cabins if needed.  Although an iconic town it has it's issues like every other town, we have had a few vehicles in the town c/p's (opal inn/big 4- there are 3 all up) entered and stuff nicked like cameras/laptops, although these vehicle had been left unlocked and gear on show - silly anywhere - I would recommend going to the "Old Timers Mine", having a look through the desert cave underground motel and walk up and down the main street (just like anywhere else) and perhaps just having a general drive around to have a look at some of dugouts.

October will have less crowds (read mostly grey nomads) - but the winter months in desert areas everywhere are crowded these days - 5 years ago across the Simmo in July it was like a train on the French track - so we did the lower tracks and saw about 8 other vehicles.  I'm sure it's worse now. 

With all those tracks on your itinerary you will just need to be flexible as conditions dictate.  Sounds like a great trip all the good tracks in one go - no need for bitumen and plenty of places to camp along the way and can have a beer on all of them.

Good link from 73Bubba.

Now you just have all that time to wait, bummer !!
Cheers Phil & Wendy
2013 Hilux D/C & 2013 Ultimate XTRK
Have fun, your here for a good time not a long time.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
If your heading to oodnadatta from cooper pedy just before you get to town you drop down and cross a creek. Turn right there and follow wheel tracks along the creek then continue on amonst the trees a couple of hundred meters and you can get a quiet bush camp on the water. Although at the moment the creek is probably 1km wide
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:39:01 PM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
Thanks Darren, will add that to the list we're compiling. BTW, did you have any issue with railway spikes along that section?

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
The railway spike section is from finke to alice. You see hundreds of them, At first you swerve but after a while you just dont worry
Living the Dream.

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »
i have to agree with Darren for once  >:D about his comments on Coober Pedy.. we were there last year, and couldn't wait to get out of the place.

we were travelling in similar country about the same time you will be.. between the end of september and mid october, we had the temps range between -2 (broken hill overnight) to 41 - Uluru during the day.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

stretch7702000

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
I am based at Leigh creek at the moment for work.

Last year we still had people travelling through in october. The weather was not to hot at all allthough there was plenty of rain around then.

Usually january and february are the really hot months up here.

Paul

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »
The railway spike section is from finke to alice. You see hundreds of them, At first you swerve but after a while you just dont worry
Thanks - not planning to do that stretch so no worries there.

Cam
Set your chickens free