Author Topic: Cub Construction  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Just fun

• Learning the Ropes
Cub Construction
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

The boss lady and I are looking at buying a Cub Spacematic Regal (off-road). In fact we put a deposit on a show special but unfortunately it received a small dent and scrape on the way to the Melb factory. Cub have offered to fix it, reduce the price or let us walk away. We had a look at it today - very little damage but I noticed the side walls are only single sheet wall.  Now my concern with this is how well does it hold up to any side impact eg a slip on a muddy track, hitting a tree branch. Has any one had any issues relating to the construction while four wheel driving (or otherwise)?

We're not concerned about suspension of chassis, just how much impact the walls can take.

Cheers,

Just Fun 

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Cub Construction
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
I checked out a Brumby about 12months ago at a camping show, had the cheque book ready and all, had my heart set on one. I first walked onto the checkaplate floor and it started to move under my weight( I'm 85kg) between the spreaders of the floor. The walls of the tub were 1 sheet thick and moved outwards easily when I pushed with my hand and the whole package just did not live up to my expectations.
I walked away a broken, bitter and twisted perspective Cub buyer.
The saleman did'nt help either, he could'nt give a toss, just sat there and read the paper, little did he know I was carrying a cheque book and was willing to sign away.
I was expecting something a couple of rungs below a Kimberly, Campomatic etc, but I was mistaken, my emotions got the better of me.
I checked out the Pioneer camper from WA, a bit better put together and about 20% more expensive, but were and felt a bit more solid than the Cub.
I will get a rear fold one day, at present the second hand Aussie built n bread soft floor is suiting the family needs, plus it cost only $5k, so in the end, it was Kama who saved me and gave me some change in the back pocket.
Its horses for courses, so good luck, the cub may suit your lifestyle and camping needs.

Offline Just fun

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Cub Construction
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »
We also checked out the Pioneer but would have had to shell out close to an extra 10k to get the same deal. we picked up the ex-demo which had all the extras added (a big bonus). The salesman was great showed us over the unit let me poke my head/hand  over, under and between, answered all our questions even the stupid ones and gave a a month cooling off period (cant be fairer then that).

Thanks for your reply
Enjoy your camper