Author Topic: any advice on which camper  (Read 4080 times)

Offline crispy

• Swag User
any advice on which camper
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:11:23 PM »
Hi all this can apply to anyone but it probably applies more to people from south australia i have been looking at trailers from dealers in adelaide and the one that i am impressed with are allied pacific and lewiston metal fabricators ,i think that is there name has anyone got any advice i will be going to the camping show next week but i dont know if they will be there any hel[p welcome
crispy ;D

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: any advice on which camper
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »
Until we actually found the one we ended up buying we had decided that the trailers from Adventure Camper Trailers were great.  Different style to many but quick and easy to set up, large bed, easy to access for quick stops and very well built.  They are made in Edwardstown from memory.

All the best in your search, a show is a great place to be able to compare models because you can duck back and check things easily to do really thorough comparisons so you can get a trailer which is just right for you.
 :cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

crackacoldie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
I know Lewiston Metal Fabricators manufacture their own trailer and import a tent (I believe so may pay to double check).  Allied Pacific buy their trailers from another source and then put a chinese tent on them.  My personal preference is to deal with the manufacturer of the trailer direct.  Worth having a look at are Cavalier on Marion Road, they are slightly higher in the price range, depending on your budget, however, they make their onn trailers and canvas.  We ended up with a Challenge Camper trailer, in edwardstown, depending on budget again, they were well made and looked after the whole manufacturing process in house.  Normally Cavalier and Challenge are at the caravan show, not sure on the others though.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Johnw72

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
Hello Crispy,

I am also looking at a camper trailer and have allied pacific in mind as the price is around the $5-6k mark which is what I am looking to spend. I have seen a cavalier in the flesh and the Aussie 150z canvas and heavy duty zips are excellent and look like a long term item. My question with the allied pacific is not the trailer but the chinese tent. I do not know how long they will last which i suppose is dependant on how often you use it. My reseach has shown that to get aussie made canvas tent you need to pay quite a bit extra eg Cavalier, Cameron but if it is going to last for maybe double the chinese ones then that is the dilemma. Im heading to the caravan and camping show this thursday to check things out and I have spoken to allied pacific and they will not be at the show. I have not checked out Willaston campers so will not comment on them.
I hope this helps although it probably creates many more questions but thats the fun of seaching for a camper
Cheers John
The worst days fishing are better than the best days working

Offline davidy61

• Tent User
  • Jayco Poptop
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
Try Sar Major/Ken Major at St Mary's.  They make the trailers (and i think also supply to a few others in Adelaide) and i think now have an option of local in house made or Chinese import tent (to their own specs).  We looked there, was very impressed with the salemans and product and it would have been the way we went, except we landed up with a hard floored camper instead.  Easier setup for my arthritis.

2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 with 2" lift and other goodies

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
Hey Crispy,

Glad to see you've made it over here! I'm not sure if I mentioned this to you previously or not, so feel free to ignore me if I'm repeating myself.

If you're after a solid unit on a budget, one of the best options I think I can suggest is to do what my brother did with his current camper. He went to a local trailer place, and got them to build an offroad trailer to his specifications - the drawbar length he wanted, the suspension design and height he wanted, all of that. The he bought an OzTrail Camper9 top off ebay for a bit of a discount, bolted that on top, and got him self a brand new offroad camper for around the $6k mark.

Since then, he's been working with it to make his own kitchen, put on a water tank, toolbox, gas rings, jerry can holders, and so forth and has ended up with a really comprehensive camper. Fits him and his family in no worries at all, and cost them a lot less than buying a pre-made unit. He saved a lot of money by doing things himself, but he also spread the investment out across a long period of time because he didn't need to buy everything at once. We've been camping with them and this camper a bit, and it's always impressive.

So that might be an option if you can't find a proper camper trailer manufacturer in your price range locally. This is the OzTrail top that he's using on his :
http://www.kampers.com.au/sale.php?p=Camper_9

The other thing I'd suggest would be to give Johnny @ Trackabout a ring, and see if he could still bend you up one of his Kakadu campers. I know he doesn't do them as a normal product line any more, but you might be able to talk him into a special order - depends if he can still bend up the chassis rails I would suppose. You may be out of luck though - they may not be available any more. From memory they were around the $7500-$8k mark, but could have gone up since then - I would treat that price as purely ballpark. They're a basic camper too, but they're built Trackabout Tough, and you'll never have a problem with them.

They're my go-to camper for a basic entry-level option, simply because most people don't realise that for that sort of money they might actually be able to get into a Trackabout camper. It's a bit more expensive than the DIY option above, but you get a quality Oz-made unit whereas the OzTrail camper tops are a fully-imported product. As John has already mentioned, the Aussie canvas is generally regarded as a better material, if you're able to purchase an Aussie-made tent, not only are you supporting the local industry but you'll get much better aftersales support to boot! Plus, speaking from experience, the Trackabout tents are awesome!  ;D

Dave, as usual, is also full of good advice about the shows being a great place to compare heaps of different models quickly.

Anyway, that's my rant - all the best with your decisions mate - you should have a fair bit of reading and learning to do over the next few weeks and months anyway! I've been hanging round these parts for years and still learn new things every day - it's just that sort of place. Make yourself at home!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline 98Pudge

• Swag User
  • It's no go, unless it's a Pajero!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:40:29 PM »
Freshly posted today!
GO Johnny GO!!!

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11511.0
-Cheers

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
Hi all well gday matto from pcoa and others ,am i confussed jeez i emailed allied pacific last night to get the go on there trailers .The owner told me sar major used to make the trailers and they had some problems so they went to trailer solutions ,they do use a chinese tent but they say that you could replace it 4 times for the price of an aussie made one , trackabout trailers start at 12000 so it is out of the question (sorry matto) the idea that your brother had is good as i can weld ect and most of the gear is premade and you could make it to what you want when you think of it ie: another gas carrier here ,perhaps a bike rack there maybe led lights and side lights i am a carpenter by trade so working in the shopfitting area doesnt present a problem for a kitchen water tanks are not hard (refurbished a 14 ft viscount for a friend ) to fit they really just sit there inside the protective cover ,all the bits and peices can be bought over the net ,sinks locking water caps jerry carriers ect ,i to am going to the show on sat so no blabbing about whats there hahahaha ,no really if you see something that you think is worth looking at please tell me thanks for all your input its great still havent got those hubs matto hahaha
crispy ;D 

Offline silver_streak67

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
Hey there fellow sth aussie,
I'm also looking for entry level camper hopefully under 4500 all done, I would love to hear what you settle on as I'm getting a bit frustrated looking at hundreds of options.
I believe the Austrack tents are up there with best of the imports and would love to get the 12ft tent and maybe get a trailer built locally but everyone in adelaide wants around 2000 for a trailer.
Still not sure which way to go myself as i have a 7x5 3/4 knackered trailer in the shed and am weighing up repairing my trailer vs new cost wise.
Anyway best of luck and will be keen to see which way you go. ;D

Offline ralphedward

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
The one that makes you happy is a bloody good trailer.  Like me you will find it hard to choose as there is just so much choice.  All I can offer is take the time (I took over 2 years) do your research 'cos only you know what it is that you will do with it.

It's a good site to do research on tho'

By the way Tambos are the best (slightly biased in my comment though)

Mark
SWMBO made me do it (whatever it was I did)!
VW Amarok & 'Cooper' the Tambo.

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
Hi silver streak well i am going to the camping show this wekend and taking my camera as well so to get some ideas ,have been contemplating building my own seen some very good jobs done by handymen /tradesmen and you can save money as well ,2000 is probably about the norm i think for a trailer
crispy ;D

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
Hi all well went to the caravan and c amping show yesterday ,lots of vans and motorhomes and a few traiers challenge and sar major were there was quite  taken with the sar major model it is a pity that allied pacific wernt there as well would save a drive to wingfeild from morphett vale if you live in adelaide youll know what i mean ,found out that the mob that make the trailers for allied are just up here where i live so might call there and see what they have got ,show was good apart from the heat saw a modern combi van ,bit different to the one i used to own many years ago only wanted 77,000 for it hmm a good second hand 4wd and a new 16 foot van dont come in at that oh well each to there own ,seen a good one advertised on ebay guy was asking 5000 ono only prob it is on the gold coast ,anyway more to think about
crispy ;D

Offline 98Pudge

• Swag User
  • It's no go, unless it's a Pajero!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
If your still vaguely interested in building a camper; as Matto explained earlier, I had assembled mine, myself.
Here's some pics of my camper; remember, it cost my $5500 including rego, toolbox, pole carries, spare wheel, Led lights AND A KITCHEN.
I've since installed a 12v solar system also. Yes it's a cheap Oztrail tent, but it's durable, practical and all my family of five need.
Ask many questions and you'll find answers.
Good luck!
-Cheers

Offline Crusader

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »
What about Challenge Camper trailers, they are made in SA.

We have had one for about 2 years and cant fault it.

I have done a lot of mods to it but it a very well built trailer.

Regards

Crusader
Crusader

So many places, so little time.
Toyota 150 series, Windsor 18'5" van.

Offline crispy

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Hi all thanks for all your input its great ,pudge i am always interested in doing things myself havent tken my car to a mechanic for a good many years all i have to do is get my welding skills from bird,,,,,t to flowing runs hahahaha but i am working on it  scrounging scrap steel from anyone i can ,i have seen a few second hand challenger trailers just never heard of them dont know what they go for brand new to gauge a second hand price , as i said i was very impressed with the sar major but forgot to pickup any info (idiot) well they are only at st marys, drop in on way home from work one night anyway thanks again for this discussion its great gets me motivated to search out all i can
crispy ;D