Author Topic: Jayco owners - take note:  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
Jayco owners - take note:
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Some of you may have seen comments on Teabags Jayco in the  new camper section regarding sealant (or lack there off ) in the door vent.
I caught up with Teabag & the next day I had a look at mine, seeing as my Hawk is the same Nov '10 build date.
Well, imagine my surprise when I found the same issue  >:(
In the pic below, I have removed the internal section of the 2 piece vent to reveal the cutout in the door. 

These 2 sections of vent should have sealant it between them to stop any water getting into the core of the door.
There is some sealant around the outside vent to seal the outside edges up (as seen in pic), however, with no sealant between these 2 vents, water can easily get in.
So far, the only water mines seen is during a few hose downs to wet in the canvas and probably some rain whilst at the dealer waiting for pick up. Despite this, and the fact that we haven't camped in it yet (only picked it up 3 weeks ago), there is some mould on the timber skin & disclouring of the foam core at the base of the cutout.    Also note that the screws holding the bottom strip of the vent in don't attach to the door  >:D

I would strongly suggest that all of you with Jaycos of this era ('07-'10)  or even earlier, but particularly the newer ones, check your door vents to ensure water is not getting into the door core.  The vent on the inside of the door is easy to remove. unscrew the 3 screws  and the vent is clipped to the outside vent at the bottom (pic shows one clip.) Lever apart with small screwdriver and if it pops apart easy, then there is no sealant holding together!

I will leave mine off and raise it at it's first service, along with unprotected brake wires behind the drums, and a bent shocky mount....remember, I've only picked the thing up at this stage  >:D

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
Re: Jayco owners - take note:
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »
That's disapointing, where's the quality assurance?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
Cheap or quality - pick one :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
Yep, seems to be no QA at the end of production, just a quick look over.... even the dealer I bought from has his own separate gas & elec certs done on new campers from the jayco factory.

They are minor things that are easily fixed & avoided.

Cheap or quality? yep that's the question, but I went cheaper as I know I will still get damm near all my money back on this thing should I sell in a few years, and that is a rare thing to have with a cheaper product  8)  If it wasn't for that, probably wouldn't have it....

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
Yep, seems to be no QA at the end of production, just a quick look over.... even the dealer I bought from has his own separate gas & elec certs done on new campers from the jayco factory.

They are minor things that are easily fixed & avoided.

Cheap or quality? yep that's the question, but I went cheaper as I know I will still get damm near all my money back on this thing should I sell in a few years, and that is a rare thing to have with a cheaper product  8)  If it wasn't for that, probably wouldn't have it....

Thanks Nutto for the warning, Ill rev it up my Jayco dealer before I order.
It is bullsh!t that something like this can happen in such a big company selling bucket loads of the bloody things.
In saying that I agree 100% with you on the getting most of your money back when you decide to  sell. They seem to hold value much better than some others on the market.

Cheers Glenn

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:53:59 PM »
I would say it has not been picked up very often, if at all and hence they have not bothered to rectify the issue.  By the time the normal punter notices it they have had it for a while and can't make a warranty claim.

Mine is near two years old and I checked it this arvo and sure enough its the same.  I will right directly to Jayco with photos and see how I go.

Offline Robp69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice Nutto and Teabag,

Had a gent coming for other warranty work and before he got here, had a look at my door. Sure enough, no sealant of any kind and only 2 x screws holding the inside vent, the 3rd was screwed into nothing :(

Anyway, had the vents removed and sealed all around, then replaced, and all cleaned up and ready to go.

Cheers

Rob

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Surely a few tubes of silicon is more than the margin.

At rick of being negative and un Australian  >:D, I am still surprised that people continue to by Australian built Holdens and Fords.

Offline KevRM

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
Thats a fair comment, but i have seen quality (price) & faults as well , brother bought a goldstream $37,000 new
leaked like a sieve, so sometimes you do get what you pay for, other times you put up with it.
I'm sure Jayco will honour problems like this, they cant be to bad considering the resale of 2nd hand, its damn hard
to buy a near new Jayco for much under the new price, must say something.

Been there dont that kind of logic.
Kev
KEV & RUTH

Offline paulmack2711

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
Hey guys,
Thanks Nutto for pointing me in this direction with your door problem.
I am having this issue and have asked the same on other forums about if others are have the same issue with the door vent leaking and damaging the door. Mine is luckily covered by Warranty but the dealer and Jayco don't seam to think that its a problem . This issue is not about wether it was sealed or quality checking, but Jayco using a product that is not fit for the purpose. Unless the person adding the sealant can get in between the two pieces of the vent to ensure that there are no gaps in the sealant and that there is also no ridge of sealant water will always pool on the inside of the vent or worse in the door and in your van. I am asking Jayco to come up with a better vent that will drain water away or one that will do a better job of keeping water from entering that space they were able to make it happen 20 years ago why not now.
105 Cruiser full of pealed cows, Jayco Dove OB

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »
Maybe why they changed the door on the 2011 models...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:14 AM »
The following thread on Caravaners Forum is essential reading http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12286

It's really scary stuff! :-[
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »

That second word in never used in the same sentence as Jayco :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »
The following thread on Caravaners Forum is essential reading http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12286

It's really scary stuff! :-[

Yep, sure is, and it seems to cover a variety of brands if pictures are anything to go by (incl the more expensive ones dare I say.....)

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 09:27:41 AM »
Maybe why they changed the door on the 2011 models...

Maybe, but knowing Jayco, they probably still use the same vent cut into the door >:(....
D4D, just curious, what sort of vent does the Goldy have in the door?  is it a 2 part outer & inner vent or a one piece?

:cheers:

Offline paulmack2711

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »
That second word in never used in the same sentence as Jayco :cheers:

You could use that work but I dont think that 20k plus is cheap in any ones books for what they are. Having said that they fill a spot in the market place.
105 Cruiser full of pealed cows, Jayco Dove OB