Author Topic: Swan or Hawk???  (Read 9608 times)

Offline swillo5

• Sleeping Bag User
Swan or Hawk???
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
Have placed prelim order for a Swan but went and had another look at the Hawk the other day and now I'm not so sure again.  Dealer says I can change any time up to confirmation. 

On the one hand I like the swan because it is bigger with 2 seperate seating areas and seats beneath both beds.  It also seems to have more storage and has the 'wardrobe' cupboard.  Looking at the Hawk though there actually seems to be more seating and I like the idea of having the kitchen and seating seperate (young kids).

Would be interested to hear pro's and con's of each from anyone who has faced the same dilemma and whether anyone has chosen one or the other and wished they'd gone the other way.

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Swan or Hawk???
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »
We went for the hawk because of the kitchen being separate.  Re the sitting room we only use it if it's really wet awful outside most of our sitting, cooking etc is done outside.  Good luck with your decision. We use hanging bags attached to towel rail for extra storage ie wardrobe

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
We went with the Hawk because the kitchen and seating are separate.  Either floor plan will be crowded if its raining and you cant kick the kids out while Cook is at work.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
We liked the Swan but it was just too big for the garage so ended up with the Eagle, they both have the same style of layout.

The Eagle\Swan layout was more suited to us as the kids are no longer a worry and we like too be able to spread out and have our own bit of space.
2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »
I've had both! We had a 2006 Swan, and now have a 2010 Hawk

The swan *does* have more storage that the Hawk, but the separate kitchen is a real winner with the Hawk. especially with the kids
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
The Eagle\Swan layout was more suited to us as the kids are no longer a worry and we like too be able to spread out and have our own bit of space.

Like wise, though we only have one tinlid that comes with us now and she is old enough to be careful in the kitchen area. If there's one thing I miss about the Swan is the extra seating area that the Panda doesn't have  ???, Oh well good excuse to stay outside or stretch out the  bed   ;D
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Nutto

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Burning desire to camp.....
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
We went through the same thing you are going thru now a few months back.
We went the Hawk over the Eagle/swan layout for the following preferences:
- Separate kitchen to living area.  kids can be at the table and can move in & out freely without tripping over the kitchen.  This was the kicker in going with the Hawk, and seems to be pretty common amongst swaggers here with youngins.
- The table lounge area allows more than 4 to be seated together
- When we have an extra person (kids friend, relly ) camp, they can sleep on the long single lounge by the window (cushion back removes) whilst the table is still up and the end beds do not have to climb over the extra  sleeping body.   (If you also have the table down as a bed as well as the single lounge being used, then still no one has to climb over anyone to get out)
- The outdoor opening hatch is at the back of the camper, which is better suited for us as we prefer our outdoor cooking setup up here, and this hatch also serves as a pantry next to the outdoor kitchen. It is also further away from the main door and not obstructed when this door is open. Also has the 12 & 240V outlets right there
- Although it doesn't have the wardrobe, this was not an issue for us as clothes are in bags anyway so no need to unpack them. There is a bit more storage lower down in the Hawk I think compared to the eagle?

The swan does have more cupboard space, but then it is 1 foot longer than the Hawk/eagle and is over $2k more.  Would rather use that $2k on accessories IMO....
That said, the Eagle / Swan is still the most popular layout that Jayco sell.

There is no right or wrong layout, just a layout to suit your circumstances, and in our case, the Hawk had more pros than cons.. :cup:

:cheers:
Nutto

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
Who knows?? We never really considered the eagle or hawk.  Whilst we considered the flamingo it was always going to be the Swan because of the extra cupboard space and the fact that it had two seperate seating areas.

Kitchen was not a biggy for us for two reason, one being that the kids are in fact teenagers so did not have to worry about little ones and also that 95% of the time we cook outside on the bbq etc...

Go with what suits you, like Nutto said 2K is cabbage for other things.  It seems that lots of people with younger families go with either the Hawk or Eagle, anecdotal evidence tends to suggest that those with older kids go with the Swan.

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »
Some good points here.

Probably one to consider as well is the rear bed on the Swan is 6" wider then the Hawk's. Doesnt sound like much but if you ever go camping with another couple a few inches makes a big difference (well thats what the missus says anyway 8))
At the moment my three youngy's can actually all sleep on the rear bed without hassle, that leaves the table and lounge set up.

cheers John :cheers:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Moto Moto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
We have two young ones under 4, so decided the Hawk best suited our family. Would love the extra storage the Swan offers though.

We just spent a wet weekend down the coast and were very glad we have this type of camper. Great for young kids.

Enjoy your new purchase.

KC
2012 BT-50 XTR and Jayco Expanda 14.44-4 Outback

Offline KevRM

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
We went with the Eagle because it suited us, we liked the club lounge being seperate from
the kitchen, i think the statement about what suits you is definitely on the money.

I also liked the fact with the Eagle that when the front bed is away you still have 1/2 the top vent
of the fridge uncovered for a little more venting when using it on 12v when towing, thats probably
not going to be a big deal but thats how i looked at it.

Either way its a Jayco & they arent that bad for the money.

Kev
KEV & RUTH

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
Would love the extra storage the Swan offers though.
I gotta admit i like the Hawks layout better especially the seating/meals area but the extra storage is what won us over with three kids. :cheers:

Cheers John
1996 80 series Cruiser

Offline hgmonaro

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
We have the Goldstream equivalent of a Swan and chose that because the seating was in two sections.  Having 2 boys there are times when they have to be physically seperated!  One can sit at the table and do their homework, etc while the other sits up the other end pulling faces at his brother!  We also like having the meals seating near the sink/cooker/bench/cupboards as we can still reach stuff while seated.  When we've wanted to have more than just the 4 of us in for a meal, we bring in one of those little aluminium tables for those sitting on the lounge to rest their meals/drinks.

Reading the various reasons given, there's a few in there we didn't think of, although we are very happy with the layout.

Nige.

Offline huggy

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »
We went with the swan for another reason then most . My better 1/2 (so she says) is tall  and in the swan the height of the benches suited her better  , the others seemed to have lower benches .

Offline Travln

• Swag User
    • Our Travel Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
Shouldn't the question be "Swan or Flamingo",   or   "Eagle or Hawk'   or 'Swan/Flamingo or Eagle/Hawk'.  Because it depends on whether you are talking size or layout. 

We have owned a Hawk for 8 yrs and are about to purchase a new Flamingo for the extra size esp in the annex area and more bench space for cooking/food prep. (also thanks for the previous tip on bench height - wouldn't have noticed that myself! Great as I am tall and get a sore back washing up!)

I love this layout as we have 3 young kids so I like the kitchen is separated from the eating/sitting section.  The kids are often sitting at the table while I am cooking so it is much safer.

I also do a lot of cooking inside as my kids are on a special diet.  Both the Hawk and Flamingo have a big wide kitchen area.  I can't stand the narrow kitchen area in the Eagle/Swan. 

We also hate the "wardrobe" in the Eagle/Swan.  We keep our clothes in boxes which are inside when travelling and then outside when camped.  Also the only things we keep in draws and cupboards tend to be cups, plates, cutlery, saucepans and food. So the draws and cupboards in the "buffet" on the Swan which face away from the kitchen are not convenient for us. 

We don't like the separate seating areas.  We don't sit inside the van unless it is raining and then the kids are usually up on their bed playing.  I like that we can sit all 5 of us around the table when we need to eat inside - can't do that in the Eagle/Swan. 

Toyota Landcruiser Turbo Diesel with The Works,
2011 Jayco Expanda Outback 18.57-9
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/travln/1/tpod.html

Offline linmac

• Swag User
  • "Git-R-Done"
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
We went to the newcastle camping show really want to up grade to a hawk but the funds approval didn't look good with the minister of war and fiance
GU Patrol 3" lift. 33" BFG's and other odds and sods.  Complete Campsite Fraser Hard Floor

Offline Red1

• Swag User
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
 Hi Swillo,
We have had both, an 04 Hawk and an 09 Swan. IMHO the Swan is the way to go for all of the reasons already mentioned.  Also, the wardrobe in any of them is over rated as it needs to be folded up everytime you move, and everthing has to be reoved from it,so we have deleted it in our Swan- this gives extra bench space. We have a 2011 Swan coming in May and have done the same again. But everyone is different, it just doesn't suit us.

Cheeers

Offline Nesspop

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
I was going to ask this question myself...

We are locked on the Swan, however starting looking at the Flamingo.. We spent 2 hours wondering around Jayco on the weekend, Looking at the Swan & beleive it or not an expanda  :o I now have hubby back on the Swan (lucky the storage area was 2 feet short ;) )

The Question I would like to ask is... those of you who have the campers & kidlets, do you find them big enough? I know we don't spend allot of time in them due to going away to be in the outdoors.. but do you find that you are on top of each other when moving around the van.. This is hubby argument for getting the expander, bigger & with a growing family, might as well buy the big puppy first..

Nesspop :)

Offline Moto Moto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

We are locked on the Swan, however starting looking at the Flamingo.. We spent 2 hours wondering around Jayco on the weekend, Looking at the Swan & beleive it or not an expanda  :o I now have hubby back on the Swan (lucky the storage area was 2 feet short ;) )

The Question I would like to ask is... those of you who have the campers & kidlets, do you find them big enough? I know we don't spend allot of time in them due to going away to be in the outdoors.. but do you find that you are on top of each other when moving around the van.. This is hubby argument for getting the expander, bigger & with a growing family, might as well buy the big puppy first..

We are considering upping from the Hawk to an Expanda for exactly the same reasons. Good luck with your decisions.
KC
2012 BT-50 XTR and Jayco Expanda 14.44-4 Outback

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

I don't think there is a right or wrong with these, just opinions and ultimately your decision that suits your needs best.

We chose a hawk as my wife thought that being in an expanda was still like a caravan.
Not that we have anything against that, its just in the hawk you have almost 360 views. O.K. theres strips of canvas, but you know what I mean......

We also got the feeling of being a little "closed in" in the expanda.
We do have 2 kids though and this makes a big difference.

I dare say our next step will be to an expanda or similar as we do like them.
Its just we preferred the camper trailer style at the moment and it suits our family.

In regards to being big enough. I believe it is.
2 kids no problems. 3 probably not. Any more, well you're probably in a tarago anyway so its a different game........ >:D
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Black Diamond

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
  Also, the wardrobe in any of them is over rated as it needs to be folded up everytime you move, and everthing has to be reoved from it,

Cheeers
Cant see why you are removing things out of it when you fold it down. I pack it with all the clothes before we go and lock it then fold it down and it all stays in there until we unpack back home.
I reckon its a great addition especially with the optional shelves. Then you can pack shoes, clothes, towels etc seperately.
Only one latch to pull to drop not really a huge effort required.
Plus the mirror behind door keeps the SWMBO happy and that makes for a better camping experience  :cheers: :cheers:

1996 80 series Cruiser

Offline hgmonaro

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »

Regardless of layout, I think this question is more about smart packing and not taking too much stuff in the 1st place.  We did a 3 mth, 1/2 lap in ours (a Goldstream with similar layout to a Swan minus the folding wardrobe.. we also got that deleted) and managed fine.  It's important to put things away after use.  For meals, we seat our boys at the table one each side so we can have the end seats and allows us to get in and out easily or reach things on the stove or bench.  For breakfast, we have a plastic box for cereals (has smaller containers for each of the cereals each of us want in it plus sugar, etc) and that comes out for our 1st round of breakfast.  Once our bowls are full of cereal, we put it away.  We refill the individual containers from the main cereal pkts every couple of days.  Once cereal has been eaten, we bring out the 'toast' box.  It has the butter, honey, vegemite, etc and is used for making our toast.  Once finished it gets closed and back into the cupboard.  We wash the dishes straight away, using a rectangle dish washing bucket as a dish drainer.  This gives a lot more capacity than trying to balance everything on the little sink area.  If we are travelling that day and want to make a decent getaway we get out everyone clothes the night before so they can change into them without having to look for them.

On our 'big' trip we put our camper up & down 56 times in 96 nights... you need to get a system that works for you or it will become a real drag... and whether you've got a camper, expander style van or full van, moving stuff around so you can get at other stuff is a sure way to knock the fun out of it real quick!

Cheers, Nige

Offline Robp69

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »
FWIW

We chose the Swan, preferred the layout, and to be honest, the added storage is what influenced the final decision.

Good luck with the final outcome :)