Author Topic: New Jayco or second hand Goldstream - Thoughts??  (Read 14404 times)

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
New Jayco or second hand Goldstream - Thoughts??
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »
I realise that this topic has probably been flogged some what in the past and may just come down to personal preference but here goes. I wish to spend about 35k tops on a pop top. What i am looking at is either a jayco flamingo or a goldstream storm. What i would like on the van is independant suspension, HWS and external shower and a/c preferably not roof mounted plus all the other usual luxurys like 2 tanks 2 gas bottles etc. Obviously needs to be in offroad configuration. i plan to take this van to places like five rocks, fraser island, moreton, out west including the oodnadatta track, birdsvile and simpson desert etc. I have a soft floor at present and will probably keep it for the cape next sept then sell it. Do you think that i should buy a new jayco or wait to find a good second hand Goldstream storm or Star 2 which is slightly smaller. Most people are aware of the build quality that has dogged Jayco in the past is it still the same these days? Dust ingress can be a problem on all poptops so i'm not really worried about that to be honest would just like to know what people think although would be lovely if anyone has upgraded from the Jayco to the Goldstream or vice versa and hear what they have to say. Thanks in advance Paul. :cheers:

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: New Jayco or second hand Goldstream - Thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
Goldstream but I am biased :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GOLDIE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »
We were throwing up between both as well and I looked for about 8 months for either of them second hand. But having no luck finding one with everything my wife wanted we decided to buy new. I loved the Goldstream from the first time I saw it but wasn't sure if I could justify the extra cash. But in the end my wife talked me into the goldstream and I am soooooooo happy with it. Never owned a Jayco but my Brother and Father both have Sterling's and they love them.
Your right in the end it comes down to personal preference and being at the right place at the right time to find that second hand one. You will go close with that budget on a new one. Just ditch the things you can add later...

1 more week of work than in it for 3 weeks...

Cheers,
Ryano
Cheers, Ryano
Ready to Roll

2010 Goldstream Storm - 2006 Toyota Landcruiser GXL

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Hi,

Jayco have their faults, no denying that! But, we had a Jayco Eagle 2006 "off road" and dragged it to Uluru and back. We did the oodnadatta track, mereeni loop road, and then tackled the plenty hwy / donohue hwy. No complaints! It just came along behind. We broke one mount that we had welded in Longreach but other than that it was better than we hoped for.

Horses for courses (and wallets).

I'm not sure I would get another Jayco (just don't need the size or the hassle of set up etc) but no regrets either.

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:30:12 AM »

We had a Jayco Swan and it was great.  Build quality was average.  If you can afford the extra I would get the quality of the goldstream.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:39:27 AM »
Build quality in anything mass produced will always be a compromise. If you want a 1 off, then spend $100k.
We paid about $22k for our Hawk and have never had an issue with it, dragged it up around the Cape and across to Doomadgee and down to Lawn Hill etc, dust is the only problem.
I've seen plenty of $70k plus vans with major issues with build quality.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:05 PM »
Thankyou for all the feedback. Wasn't sure how to take the 100 k camper comment not sure what you were getting at there but thanks anyway for your opinion. Will continue to monitor cheers Paul.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »
Well it looks like xmas has come early i have just done a deal on a dec 2007 Offroad Goldstream Storm with just about every extra available including A/C,HWS and Ext Shower dual tanks and gas bottles, roof racks,stereo,rollout awning with walls, kitchen awning, generator box, 2x solar panels, gal flooring the list goes on. The good bit is 30K very happy lets hope it all goes well and comes our way.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
Sounds like an absolute pearler! I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable night or two in that bad girl!

Make sure you put up some pics as soon as you can or the dogs will be unleashed!
"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:24:01 AM »
Well! I was going to add my 2.5c worth but looks like you have it sorted, Well done  8)

PS. The tow buggy looks good.  8)
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
Thankyou for all the feedback. Wasn't sure how to take the 100 k camper comment not sure what you were getting at there but thanks anyway for your opinion. Will continue to monitor cheers Paul.

congrats on what you bought mate.
I wasn't having a dig at anybody. when looking at things that are mass produced, it's hard to compare with something that is a 1 off, bit like building a $150k house, and wondering why it doesn't look as good a $1m house.
You will still want to do a few things to it yourself to customise it a bit more.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 09:37:37 AM »
Build quality in anything mass produced will always be a compromise. If you want a 1 off, then spend $100k.

Line a jayco up against a goldstream.

The goldstream wont have holes drilled through internal panelling with a spade wood bit splintering the exit side.

It wont have a double power point on its side (contrary to household electrical regs)

It wont have screws in the floor that miss the chassis.

For the money our swan was good value.  You get what you pay for and a for the extra 5 to 10k for a goldstream the quality is better.  Whether or not its worth it is a personal choice.  It wasnt worth it for me and my swan was a good bus.  

EDIT: I am comparing my swan with a BIL's goldstream.  Maybe others are different of course.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:13:24 PM by dazzler »
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »
Well the bottom line is the camper got sold from under us after the deal was done. Bit dodgy as i rang last night to get details of bank to put in deposit first thing this morning but didn't get a reply. Basically looks like the vendor has told other prospective purchaser that the deal is done and camper sold but offered more cash. Just very annoyed and very unaustralian although may have something to do with the cricket if you know what i mean. Anyway please keep the thoughts coming and if anyone knows of a good camper with all the fruit please let me know. Willing to drive quite a distance for the right van as long as i don't get screwed over .

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X