Author Topic: BT50 instrument cluster bulb replacement  (Read 6999 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
BT50 instrument cluster bulb replacement
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
hi all,

have recently had a couple of bulbs that light up the instrument cluster in my BT50 have stopped working...

just wondering if anyone knows if removing the instrument cluster on this (or any other) vehicle is a relatively easy task?

or should i leave it to the experts to sort out?

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: BT50 instrument cluster bulb replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
hi all,

have recently had a couple of bulbs that light up the instrument cluster in my BT50 have stopped working...

just wondering if anyone knows if removing the instrument cluster on this (or any other) vehicle is a relatively easy task?

or should i leave it to the experts to sort out?

Unfortunately every vehicle is different. On my Troopy, it's a matter of removing half a dozen screws. On the old VT Commodore we had, I had to start at the centre console storage, and work my way forward, pulling the different sections till I reached the instrument cluster.

did you do a google?
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=vid&q=mazda+bt50+instrument+cluster+removal
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
Unfortunately every vehicle is different. On my Troopy, it's a matter of removing half a dozen screws. On the old VT Commodore we had, I had to start at the centre console storage, and work my way forward, pulling the different sections till I reached the instrument cluster.

did you do a google?
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#tbm=vid&q=mazda+bt50+instrument+cluster+removal

googled extensively... most of the videos are for older models, or they show how to actually remove the cluster itself from the housing, without showing the location of screws, clips, etc...

i am currently waiting on a 'delivery' of a 2012 bt50 service manual and wiring guide... so will see how that goes...

i assume that the type of bulb used (T5) would be much the same across all vehicles?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
The patrol you pretty much need to remove the steering wheel.. with airbag... which mate hates removing as they can be very touchy and expensive if they do go off.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
T5 wedge globes are pretty common in a lot of vehicles. When I first did the dunny door, I tried LEDs. But they weren't T5 LED replacements (they weren't available back then), just ordinary green LEDS soldered across the slot where the T5 mounts were, with a suitable sized current limiting resistor in series with each. Put it all back together, and it looked like crap, with the light being too localised around each LED. I even tried making the LEDs more diffused by sanding the top of each LED flat, and filing in some cross hatched, V grooves, to make a kind of fresnel effect, but still no good. Took them all out and refitted the globes, and of course, 2 months later one of the new globes blew. I see now they have T5 LED replacement globes, that may work better.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
i am assuming that i don't need to do anything special with the battery (which i wasn't going to disconnect)?

all the data (odometer, etc) is stored in the ECU?  unplugging the cluster won't delete any of that?

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
T5 wedge globes are pretty common in a lot of vehicles. When I first did the dunny door, I tried LEDs. But they weren't T5 LED replacements (they weren't available back then), just ordinary green LEDS soldered across the slot where the T5 mounts were, with a suitable sized current limiting resistor in series with each. Put it all back together, and it looked like crap, with the light being too localised around each LED. I even tried making the LEDs more diffused by sanding the top of each LED flat, and filing in some cross hatched, V grooves, to make a kind of fresnel effect, but still no good. Took them all out and refitted the globes, and of course, 2 months later one of the new globes blew. I see now they have T5 LED replacement globes, that may work better.

happy to get the same type of bulb as is currently installed (LED or not)... they currently illuminate just fine in the cluster...

i was just going to pull them out and take note of the type and get the exact same ones for replacement...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
i am assuming that i don't need to do anything special with the battery (which i wasn't going to disconnect)?

all the data (odometer, etc) is stored in the ECU?  unplugging the cluster won't delete any of that?
correct
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
I'd be disconnecting the battery - a lot of newer vehicles have the cluster integrated into the BCM and ECU

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
I'd be getting hold of a repair Manual first and reading up on the procedure.
Repco, Autobarn Bursons, etc. all have "How to Books" just for this situation.
Normally the cost of a Dinner for two, so not cheap.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
I'd be getting hold of a repair Manual first and reading up on the procedure.
Repco, Autobarn Bursons, etc. all have "How to Books" just for this situation.
Normally the cost of a Dinner for two, so not cheap.

as posted previously... i am awaiting a 'delivery' of a genuine service manual, for just this reason...  8)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
happy to get the same type of bulb as is currently installed (LED or not)... they currently illuminate just fine in the cluster...

i was just going to pull them out and take note of the type and get the exact same ones for replacement...

Yep, probably best to. I was just going for a more reliable globe, seeing as I was told that it was a common fault at the time, in the Commodores. One of the replacements blowing so soon afterwards seemed to back that up too. Actually when I got rid of the bloody thing, I think we were down to one globe operational.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
full service manual and wiring diagrams have been 'acquired'...  :police:

and lo and behold, instructions to remove the instrument cluster are provided... :)

looks relatively straight forward... will see how i go...

consequently, if anyone wants a copy, i can put it on a CD and post it out...

it's made up of a bucket load of PDF files (about 400MB all up), all linked together... pretty easy to follow...

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
Well done.
It seems to be a cultural thing, to pull stuff apart, then reading how it should have been done afterwards.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 06:23:07 AM »
Well done.
It seems to be a cultural thing, to pull stuff apart, then reading how it should have been done afterwards.

haven't pulled anything apart yet... :)

i tend to read and research before taking the plunge, at least for a couple of minutes... :)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
haven't pulled anything apart yet... :)

i tend to read and research before taking the plunge, at least for a couple of minutes... :)
so how did you go?? what T5's did you buy? read many threads on forums of some are fantastic, some are Shit, which are the ones I must have. Mine in th patrol are as bright as my social life - even in the dark you can barely see the instrument cluster at all.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 06:21:14 AM »
so how did you go?? what T5's did you buy? read many threads on forums of some are fantastic, some are Shit, which are the ones I must have. Mine in th patrol are as bright as my social life - even in the dark you can barely see the instrument cluster at all.

i didn't... i ended up buying a new cluster because the bulbs aren't user changeable... soldered to the boards...

then i sold the ute and cluster anyways... :)