Author Topic: New or secondhand  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
New or secondhand
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:30 PM »
Ok so im looking at getting a camper trailer.
Pretty set on a rear fold.
Ive traveled around Australia pretty extensively always used a swag or tent. So no real big trips planned anymore  just weekends away up to the vic high country and down the coast

But im getting a bit older now 34 tomorrow and would like a little more comforts for me and my partner. No kids yet but hopefully in the next year or 2

So the question is new or old

My step dad is selling a import rear fold for $7k went and had a look at it and it ticks all the boxes for me nice and light only 750kg and 4450mm long so a nice little conpact unit and only takes 5 mins to set up.

The new could be a mdc rear fold i think they have them for 11k at the moment they are a bit heavier and a bit longer

So i could lash out the 7k or i can do finance on a new camper

Has anyone gone out and bought a new camper and found they didnt ise it as much as they thought and wished they got a 2nd hand one first?

Cheers ben

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: New or secondhand
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:23:28 PM »
I would have bought used, if I found a good one that ticked all the boxes. But all together the ones that suited were to far away, just to have a look.
I ended up buying a new modcon at about $25k but then get piece of mind knowing the history and maintenance is all whatever I do to it.
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gphcald

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:23:40 PM »
Personally i always try to go 2nd hand as new as i can get, that way the first buyer has taken most of the hit of the new-second price difference, most of the time a second hand comes with extras and any faults rectified.
Also think of your needs now and later with kids. in a lot of cases its easier to sell and buy another CT rather than modifying for extra kids, rear folds can run out of room quickly with kids esp in wet or inclement weather.

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
The one i have looked at has only been used 3 times. Looks brand new and is 2k cheaper than buying it new.

The rear fold just appealed to me as it was super light and quick to set up. I think there would be enough room for a child up until the age of 5 or so.
So if i go the rear fold i should get 5+years out of it before i needed to upgrade

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 06:52:08 PM »
Ok so im looking at getting a camper trailer.
Pretty set on a rear fold.
Ive traveled around Australia pretty extensively always used a swag or tent. So no real big trips planned anymore  just weekends away up to the vic high country and down the coast

But im getting a bit older now 34 tomorrow and would like a little more comforts for me and my partner. No kids yet but hopefully in the next year or 2

So the question is new or old

My step dad is selling a import rear fold for $7k went and had a look at it and it ticks all the boxes for me nice and light only 750kg and 4450mm long so a nice little conpact unit and only takes 5 mins to set up.

The new could be a mdc rear fold i think they have them for 11k at the moment they are a bit heavier and a bit longer

So i could lash out the 7k or i can do finance on a new camper

Has anyone gone out and bought a new camper and found they didnt ise it as much as they thought and wished they got a 2nd hand one first?

Cheers ben

Mate,

I think you answered your own question. $7k and it ticks all the boxes.

You said you won't have kids for another 2 years, I'd buy the $7k one. The missus will be busy keeping the little one busy and you'll be left to set up on your own when junior comes along.

I'd spend the $7k, keep the extra money for all the kid stuff you'll need, this way you'll get a good couple of years out of it till you decide what you want (and can afford) next. Don't be surprised if you end up looking at a second hand Jayco or a van.

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:07:28 PM »
I think you are right haha.

Cheers for that mate just always good to get some advice

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:00:08 PM »

The rear fold just appealed to me as it was super light and quick to set up. I think there would be enough room for a child up until the age of 5 or so.
So if i go the rear fold i should get 5+years out of it before i needed to upgrade
we've had our rear fold the past 8 years now, have 2 kids (now 11 & 15) sleeping on it's floor in self inflating matresses the entire time, occasionally if we do an extended camp somewhere we set up the extra rear room we have, but 99% of the time they sleep on the hardfloor. Everyone camps differently , we have minimal set up and only think of the camper as somewhere to sleep, you may keep it longer then 5 years is basically what I'm saying..... I'd never have a soft floor, but each to their own
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »
I definitely dont want a soft floor. To long to set up. Pretty set on a rear fold i went and had a look at one. Pretty much 10 mins to set up excluding the awning. Plenty of room. Seems like a good basic unit. Few mods here and there to do but that always happens.
Ill probably take it for a test run up to licola this weekend

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
Quote from: Fullberries
Pretty much 10 mins to set up excluding the awning.
Just the tent section? I'd say any soft floor would be setup in <10 mins excluding the awning...

Soft floors will always eat most hard floors for space too. Very handy with kids.

The promo video they used to have for mine was <1 minute with the trailer already sitting there unhitched, legs down and travel cover unzipped (eg: most work already done)..

to unhitch - jockey wheel, chains, anderson/trailer plug - 2 -3 mins...
legs down - 2mins ea
travel cover 3-4 mins to unzip and roll back..
setup tent 5 mins

All those quicker with 2 or more people (except young kids wanting to "help" ;) ). The tent is never the slow part of any - its all the bullShit that goes along with it. Chairs, tables, kitchen, cots/stretchers for kids, solar panels, etc etc.

Awnings on most trailers are painful, but some are well designed (like mine ;D ) so they can be left on permanently... pull tent over, then drag awning off, few poles, your done - in theory - but the awning is still a ****in huge bit of canvas to try and fit spreader bars, and poles to - not a job for 1 sane person.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home