Author Topic: DRL To be or not to be  (Read 32051 times)

Offline Flighty (WA)

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: DRL To be or not to be
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2016, 11:03:17 PM »
Reckon they are a pain in the butt, We fit the them to big WHITE trucks .
And anyone who can't see a big white truck coming at them really shouldn't be there on the road.
Spend more time replacing them from vibration damage.
 :cheers:
Flighty

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2016, 06:24:20 AM »
I just turn my headlights on everytime I go for a drive....

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
I just turn my headlights on everytime I go for a drive....

same I find DRLs to annoying
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Alien

• Swag User
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »
This has been an interesting read, the confusion between DRL's and fog lamps is still happening.
A lot of buzz box drivers just don't get why fog lamps are a pain for oncoming vehicles, particularly in the wet as the light reflects of any water sitting on the road. 

I fitted Philips type DRL's and have them switch off with parkers.
Our rig is fairly black from the front as it has a black bull bar, chequer plated bonnet and grey roof rack so it blends in with the asphalt as a back ground on country roads.
I didn't want to run with headlamps on, beside the headlamp failure your adding tail lights and trailer lights to the equation.
From the rear I'd prefer to have a red light that appears when brakes are applied rather than just get a little brighter.

A truck I drive at work has DRL and they switch off with headlamps on, I'd prefer them to switch with parkers.

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
I read this post a while ago and decided it wa too hard to fit some DRLs to my car (maybe it's just too far down the to do list). Anyway, I recalled that the DRLs are meant to turn off when headlights are on. A couple off nights ago I noticed a modern car with DRLs and headlights on together, think it was an Audi. Then I steered to notice more and more. Hyundai, jeep, Audi, Nissan,  Mitsubishi all had headlights on and the DRL (LED strip type) on as well. Has the rule changed, or was it just for retro fits?

Anyhow, still not fitting them to my car...yet and will use headlights on low during highway work in the pathfinder, or since the forester has auto lights I just rarely turn them off.

Offline Alien

• Swag User
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
The increase of use is due to an ADR change for new vehicles.
During the day often the strips of LED's is turned off when the indicator is being used.
Of a night some dull down rather than go out, more about the look.
They can't stay at full brightness due to the light patern and intensity at night.

A friend has a company car and they have a lights on policy.
The cars headlamps are wired to a 10volt resister on the ignition circuit.
This has only the headlamps on but not at full brightness and works well.
When the headlamps are turned on the headlamps get brighter and the tail/dash lights illuminate.