Author Topic: The good, the bad and the ugly  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
The good, the bad and the ugly
« on: September 08, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
Hey all

I was out and about on the weekend checking out various stuff and visited a couple of camper/caravan outlets in my area.  Have to say, I was quite surprised by what I saw.

Popped into Caravan Super Centre where they have these new Swift European caravans.  I'm not a huge fan of them just because they feel a little flimsy to me, but you can't say they are not a nice place to be inside of.  One model was so light it could be towed by pretty much any small car, yet it still had all the mod con fittings including a shower/toilet combo.  Prices were pretty high but if you were looking for a full featured caravan that can be towed by a Corolla, these are hard to beat.

I also went into a camper trailer outlet (name withheld) in Sydney Rd, Broadmeadows for a bit of a gig.  While I will admit their prices are extremely low, I was quite surprised at how badly made they were.  The welding was of such a low standard, I reckon I could do better and I've never welded anything in my life.  The tent setup's were so complicated, you needed an engineering degree to put them up, the electrical fittings were bizarre to say the least and many of the fittings were sub standard.  One had a nice looking pull-out kitchen that looked OK at first, but on closer inspection was really poorly put together.  It also had sharp edges everywhere.  I nearly gave myself a very bad cut trying to open one of the drawers.  I guess for the money you spend you can't expect miracles, but this really surprised me how bad this end of the market can be.

On a brighter note, I popped into the Supreme dealership in Craigieburn and I was really surprised by the high quality of their new range of vans, and in particular, their new Territory campers.  These are very similar in layout and size to a Jayco Swan, but they seem to be much stronger in construction.  The interiors are sensational for this style of camper and have a really high quality feel to them.  If I was after this a pop up and out camper, theses would be high on my short list.

Cheers

Darcy

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com