Author Topic: MDC moves into locally built caravans  (Read 28056 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: MDC moves into locally built caravans
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »
Quote from: glenm64
The future of manufacturing in this country is...

... probably not going to return in our lifetime.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
... probably not going to return in our lifetime.
Well MDC are starting, Jayco havent folded, my son works for a decent size kitchen manufacturer whos building a much bigger workshop. Im sure there must be one or two other manufacturers in Australia. Return, no, but finding a niche as I said.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »
I found it interesting that the article says they are going to be using locally sourced components. Wonder if their import range of vans not quiet hitting the mark in terms of the durability of fittings.
Its a big step up to invest in a manufacturing facility, and hopefully employing locals (just because you can import labour doesnt mean you should, yep I rant about this policy and get involved where ever I can to stand up for the next generation of kids jobs)
The future of manufacturing in this country is, either to be big enough to tilt the scale of economy in your favour, or have a niche market for your product.
Personally I hope they succeed, anything made here is more beneficial than importing it.

Cheers Glen

Most of their current vans/trailers use Australian delivered fittings. Mine is thetford sink and stove, projecta dc, repco ac, etc etc. Chinese water pump and inverter.
The chassis and body are imported but the fitout is all done locally.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 10:05:59 PM »
Good news

Let's hope they employ some Australian designers and create their own designs for a change
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »
Good news

Let's hope they employ some Australian designers and create their own designs for a change
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 10:52:27 PM »
Totally agree Glen.
There are Trades and skills we used to have aplenty, try and find them now.
If we had a maritime and air transport problem outside this country we'd be screwed for all sorts of things really quickly.
Obviously self sustainability isn't important any more.
If MDC can make a go of it, good on 'em.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 06:47:28 AM »
Most of their current vans/trailers use Australian delivered fittings. Mine is thetford sink and stove, projecta dc, repco ac, etc etc. Chinese water pump and inverter.

Australian delivered, but not Australian made.

Most things used to say made in China.........now it's  made in PRC........sounds more upmarket eh ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 08:23:40 AM »
Maybe they are doing it because they have a fair size customer base that some will progress into vans anyway. I have seen people stick with brands when upgrading there boats so maybe mdc are thinking along the same lines.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »
Maybe they are doing it because they have a fair size customer base that some will progress into vans anyway. I have seen people stick with brands when upgrading there boats so maybe mdc are thinking along the same lines.
they are doing it because the grey nomad market is huge, and it is a segment of the market they pretty much are completely missing out on currently. Regardless of what some people think of the brand, it's probably a smart direction to expand their business into if they think the numbers add up for them....and going by the Lamborghini the owner of MDC is getting around in, I'm guessing he's doing ok money wise currently.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:44 AM »
It sounds like a logical progression to me, and due to size the advantages of importing caravans are diminished, they have a large customer base who are for the most part happy with their purchases and going by most people's progression will be looking at caravans in the future, if not already.
People doing calculations on wages are making the majorly flawed assumption that the size of the predicted workforce will be from day one. To begin with it will be a fraction of that and the 100-150 would only be the predicted workforce down the track if sales go as planned.
Based on their success in the camper industry, I'd think they are well placed to do the same in the caravan industry. There seems to be a lot of hatred here for MDC, it seems like some have justified this with the Jobs mantra in the past and should be therefore celebrating this decision are now searching for a different reason.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 09:53:41 AM »
And going by the Lamborghini the owner  is getting around in, I'm guessing he's doing ok money wise currently.

Ahh the movers and Shakers and Risk takers in bussiness Thank their  gods for the Sheeple masses  and their overflowing bank accounts  :laugh: :laugh:
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »

The business model has to change as the dollar stays around the 70c US

was nice to import things when at or above $1 US not so good now.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »
Judging by his numerous rants on various forms of social media I wouldn't agree that he is that smart, time will tell though.

:cup:
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 08:20:06 PM »
they are doing it because the grey nomad market is huge, and it is a segment of the market they pretty much are completely missing out on currently. Regardless of what some people think of the brand, it's probably a smart direction to expand their business into if they think the numbers add up for them....and going by the Lamborghini the owner of MDC is getting around in, I'm guessing he's doing ok money wise currently.

is it a real lambo ?
or just a celica with a body kit??.... ;D
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline leo d40

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »
is it a real lambo ?

Chinese imported Lambo

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 11:07:24 PM »
is it a real lambo ?
i believe it's real, though maybe it's hired so they can pull it apart and copy it ....just hope this time around they clean up the mess from the riverts they drill out as they pull it apart, before handing it back

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 07:07:47 AM »
There seems to be a lot of hatred here for MDC,

I wouldn't say hatred, more like lack of respect for a company that can't be bothered to design their own products. Easier to copy other companies products and make them in China.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »
I wouldn't say hatred, more like lack of respect for a company that can't be bothered to design their own products. Easier to copy other companies products and make them in China.
yep....just ask a local SEQ agent that hires their gear out, how they feel about it.

KingBilly

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 07:46:05 AM »
What sort of fantasy utopia do you guys live in?  Seriously, no other company has ever copied another company's idea?  Bahahaha, get real please.

Have a look at electronics, cars, anything.

As for campers, have at look at the similarity of AOR, Complete Campsite, Evoke, Robust, Topaz, Vista.  Who was first, who copied who?  (rhetorical question BTW).  Don't see you guys jumping up and down about who copied who with this design.

If a company comes up with a new design and doesn't take steps to protect their design, they are simply naive.  It is a big, competive world out there fellas.

KB
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:15:41 AM by KingBilly »

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »

As for campers, have at look at the similarity of AOR, Complete Campsite, Evoke, Robust, Topaz, Vista.  Who was first, who copied?  (rhetorical question BTW).  Don't see you guys jumping up and down about who copied who with this design.

KB

Before then even. The little rear folds with the 10-12" wheels. Who was first?  Aussie Swag, CUB, Pioneer?  Someone else?
I'm sure the parts would be interchangable on those things.

But they're good Aussie companies who design, develop and improve their products,  not copy others' ;D
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

KingBilly

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 08:26:45 AM »
But they're good Aussie companies who design, develop and improve their products,  not copy others' ;D

Yep apparently it is OK, morally, ethically and legally, to copy another design as long as you are an Aussie company  ;D ;D ;D. Refer to both mine and your examples above

But it appears not to be OK to copy another design, if you are an Aussie company but manufacture offshore?  Now how does that work?

KB

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »
What sort of fantasy utopia do you guys live in?  Seriously, no other company has ever copied another company's idea?  Bahahaha, get real please.

Have a look at electronics, cars, anything.

As for campers, have at look at the similarity of AOR, Complete Campsite, Evoke, Robust, Topaz, Vista.  Who was first, who copied who?  (rhetorical question BTW).  Don't see you guys jumping up and down about who copied who with this design.

If a company comes up with a new design and doesn't take steps to protect their design, they are simply naive.  It is a big, competive world out there fellas.

KB
at what point did we say we are happy other companies have done similar, or say they are the first to do it?, cause I've never said they are alone in doing so....  it's also the blatant way they did it and couldn't care less attitude about being found out when they were caught out that pisses me off. You'd understand what I mean if you knew all the facts of what happened with one local mob here, I had a very interesting conversation a while back with the owner of said company, where he told me all about it. You can get ideas by looking at others stuff like most do, but what they did was way past that.

KingBilly

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »
at what point did we say we are happy other companies have done similar, or say they are the first to do it?, cause I've never said they are alone in doing so....

You didn't and I never said you had  :D

But for some personal reason, you have chosen to single out a particular company to express your dissatisfaction about an entire industry's blatant copying of other's products.

I was simply trying to balance the arguement and point out that it is not just one company, but lots of companys doing exactly the same thing.  How the others went about their copying may have been a little more subtle than the company you dislike so much.

:cheers:
KB

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
Everyone copies designs whether local or imported.

I laughed at the blatant way they copied.  I am not sure if there is a perfect and respectful way a company can copy another design.

Any way good luck to them.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »
There's adapting ideas and then there's reproducing exactly.

You guys know the difference.

They took an AT10 apart and copied it exactly. That's a long way from comparing an AOR to a CC exodus. Yeah they are similar, but not exact copies.

I sincerely hope they do come up with their own designs, because what they did was blatantly steal, and that isn't cool. Maybe now they will understand the real cost of the IP they stole and the R an D behind it.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45