Author Topic: Buying from 4wd Super Center  (Read 8832 times)

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
Buying from 4wd Super Center
« on: September 14, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »
Not sure if this has been asked before, I tried looking for a thread on it.

With summer coming up I thought I'd check out updating some of my camping gear. I especially like their solar panels for less than $200 (plus delivery).

They seem to have a lot of half decent gear cheap.

Are they any good and do they deliver a quality product before I blow the cob webs of the credit card and hand over the card details?

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Buying from 4wd Super Center
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
I have ordered a few things from there
Deluxe swag- great price, good product so far.
120w solar blanket-works well
Battery box- haven’t used yet.

I think it is good to watch their newsletter, prices vary a lot Day to day. If you watch for a while, you get to see when the sale price is worth buying.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline markg66

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • yippee ki yay MF
    • Murrumba Pistol Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:46:49 PM »
I've got the recovery kit and the Kings 60L 12/240 fridge freezer. Seems to work well, takes a long time to chill a full load down to temp but once it's there it holds it fine in hot temps.
I've never used an "expensive" brand one so i can't compare.
Jayco 2000 Eagle Outback.
If it isn't 50% off it aint a discount.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:08:01 PM »
Their stuff is not bad for the price.  Their business model is quantity.  Sell 100's with a small markup, rather than sell a couple and make a huge markup. From what some people say customer service is poor, but I've never had a problem.
Prices fluctuates. Free shipping just means the price went up to cover the price. I buy when you have to pay for postage, as I can pick up.
Also look at the package deals which are better.

I have a few of their bits.
I have their awning. Compared side to side with an ARB it was a bit lighter but when the time came mine failed earlier (torrential downpour) mine bent and collapsed. ARB bent and snapped before collapsing. I was able to do a campsite repair and still going strong. ARB was binned.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
I bought there 7" spotties, do the job quite well, got me back home a couple of nights ago from Normanton to Chillagoe across the Burke development Rd, about 500klms of dirt driving at night, plenty of corrugations, cattle grids with rutted approaches and departures, bulldust holes. The s/s mounting brackets, nuts and bolts that were supplied all lasted, nothing came loose....  paid ~$250 delivered or something like that, they threw in a tyre deflator too, which looks identical to my the other big name brand units...... delivery was about a week to here from when I placed the order, all arrived as ordered, no issues.
At least this way I won't cry as much if I hit a wayward roo and bust my lights...... or one of the road trains around here throws up a rock at them......  :cheers:
Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
There was a massive thread with lots of mixed results .. must have been deleted or blocked I think..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »
There was a massive thread with lots of mixed results .. must have been deleted or blocked I think..

This one? http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=48174.0

Offline Brodie Tas

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:47:09 PM »
I have brought a few things from there swag, sleeping bags,awning, awning walls, floor matt, led spot lights and lights bars and more .. cant fault anything expect i got a free light once came smashed the relpaced it straight away, my dad has one of there fridges its great the cover got worn out after sitting on the back of the ute for 6 months they replaced that aswell. Can only say postive thing about them alot cheaper then other companies but you couldnt compare them to arb etc

Offline KevG

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:31:21 AM »
We have bought some random bits and pieces over the past few years. Drawers are good as is the light bar, which we bought on price.

Some other random stuff like a compressor extension hose was convenient to buy at the same time.

There gear, from all accounts is OK. Saw a lot of Kings stuff on vehicles while we were on our recent Cape York trip.

Can't advise on there after sales support, never used it.

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
Forgot to add, we have the drawers too and 9” driving lights with the wiring harness. Both really good, although wings for the drawers foul the fridge slide a bit. But for $400ish delivered they are as good as my previous set that were over $2000.
They have survived Cape York!
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »
I've also got there drawers. Main issue was I had to pack out the bracket for the side wings as it jammed again the fridge slide.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 01:24:00 PM »
Just bought an 2x3m awning off them $99 and a $124 delivered turned up in 4 days got a free battery light and fan, I  fitted to our old van today. looks ok, will give a test when we head out west to Winton way next week, Craig 
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »
I have bought a recovery kit. Air compressor. Awning ways. A fan. Bbq plate. lightbar and a few other things. Everything still works. Good value for money in my opinion.

I always pick up i havent ever had anything delivered

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 06:24:41 PM »
2 lots of camp lighting, led strip lights, bbq plate, led torch, neoprene seat covers, 2.5 m awning, all still going strong.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline gphcald

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
i have the dominator 9 inch spotlights, very happy with them apart from the mounting bolts, put some stainless steel ones in and all good. a mate i go away with has all his gear through 4wd supacentre and swears by it. As said before, for the prioce you cant go wrong.
I remember seeing a post with a darche RTT with Kings zippers so i would not be suprised that they are made in the same factory.

Offline Proudy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »
I’ve got 2 swags from them plus a 120w solar panel. We have just come back back from a month up Cape York and the poles in one of the swags has some stress fractures from getting put up and down everyday I contacted them when we got back they were 2weeks past the warranty date I said that we have been away for a month and they replaced them without any dramas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Landcruiser 76 with lots of fruit

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 02:13:19 AM »
There stuff seems ok for the price but if you give them your email or mobile number be prepared for multiple emails and text messages. Even after replying STOP to a text message, I still get the occasional text!

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
After speaking with an auto electrician, yesterday arvo I ordered a 160 w solar panel. With a 10 metre cable also purchased , price was $203. None in stock but will be at my closest pickup centre by the weekend so, no biggie.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
After speaking with an auto electrician, yesterday arvo I ordered a 160 w solar panel. With a 10 metre cable also purchased , price was $203. None in stock but will be at my closest pickup centre by the weekend so, no biggie.
Ordered one yesterday too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
Just rang chasing the same Panel.  spoke to 'the Call Centre in Canberra'.
Bloke on the phone said, $214.00 AUD plus delivery.
I'm in Lilydale (East of Melbourne.) tomorrow, so I'll see what they are then. 
I'm not going in there now and then doing the trip tomorrow as well.
He did say they had plenty of stock on hand at Lilydale though.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 08:51:45 PM »
Back home with the panel.
Wasn't just a panel, it was a combo deal.  Kings Brand Solar Panel.
They didn't have the advertised 5M. extension lead, so they are going to message me if/when it gets to them.
Get it home and the panel has a solar regulator fitted and wired in and sealed waterproof(IP64).
So Cost from Warehouse was AUD$204.00, delivery would have been AUD$10.00 extra.
So now with the regulator hard wired. 
It's not going to be a successful fit with my 360W solar controller already fitted to the Camper trailer.
So fitted 3 grey Anderson sockets, and now all's good. 
I can now run them with or without the 10A. controller in the circuit.
Works for me.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
Got mine today and will have to do the same mod. Did you just cut the cable input to the regulator and fit a pair of Anderson's so you can bypass it?

Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
Got mine today and will have to do the same mod. Did you just cut the cable input to the regulator and fit a pair of Anderson's so you can bypass it?

I'm using yellow Anderson Sockets for the Solar side of things on my camper, Ok.
So, yes I did cut the wires between the Panel Junction and the Controller and fitted two Anderson Connectors.
So I could join them, as well as isolate the controller.  The other twin wire cable from the controller has to be cut also.
I left enough (300mm.) and fitted another grey socket.
That's so I could reconnect with the Anderson Socket on the other end of the lead.
That left me with a cut end with no connector, so I fitted the yellow socket there.
Now I can run the panels straight into the controller on the camper along with another 120W set of panels I already have.
As well as fit the extension lead, not in stock at my local Supercentre Warehouse, after I get to pick it up.

As I understand it, having the controller at the panel is the opposite of ultimate setup configuration.
I was of the understanding that optimum was controller as close to the battery's as possible.
But I'm not a Sparky, so what would I know.

And, yes, having altered the panels.  It won't do me any good if something is wrong with the panels.
They'll take one look and just toss them back at me. 
So you have to be happy with that, or just put up with the panels the way they are.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:57:19 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
I'm using yellow Anderson Sockets for the Solar side of things on my camper, Ok.
So, yes I did cut the wires between the Panel Junction and the Controller and fitted two Anderson Connectors.
So I could join them, as well as isolate the controller.  The other twin wire cable from the controller has to be cut also.
I left enough (300mm.) and fitted another grey socket.
That's so I could reconnect with the Anderson Socket on the other end of the lead.
That left me with a cut end with no connector, so I fitted the yellow socket there.
Now I can run the panels straight into the controller on the camper along with another 120W set of panels I already have.
As well as fit the extension lead, not in stock at my local Supercentre Warehouse, after I get to pick it up.

As I understand it, having the controller at the panel is the opposite of ultimate setup configuration.
I was of the understanding that optimum was controller as close to the battery's as possible.
But I'm not a Sparky, so what would I know.

And, yes, having altered the panels.  It won't do me any good if something is wrong with the panels.
They'll take one look and just toss them back at me. 
So you have to be happy with that, or just put up with the panels the way they are.
Thanks. Actually didnt think of different colour Anderson's. Going to the expo at homebush this weekend so I may pick up a couple.

Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 06:55:04 PM »
Anyone bought the sleeping bags?
Good value, just want to know about the quality
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer