Author Topic: Leadership spill happened...  (Read 27404 times)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: Leadership spill happened...
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
I just watched the docco about Donald Trumps golf course in Aberdeen, last night. It just reinforced my feelings about the egotistical, arrogant A'hole, who only cares about Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsfLTvnzwI8
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »
Interesting read.
My understanding is that the main different between USA and Australian politics is that in the USA they vote directly for a leader. The Party have little say in how he or she govern. Policies is their policy, not Party policies. (it may be the same, but does not have to be)
In Australia we vote for a party and their leader is the Prime Minister. So if the Prime Minister does not follow the party line the party replace him. If the party change its policy the people vote them out.
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2018, 02:04:41 PM »
A couple of years old but very appropriate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knob-rB35AI

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
I just watched the docco about Donald Trumps golf course in Aberdeen, last night. It just reinforced my feelings about the egotistical, arrogant A'hole, who only cares about Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsfLTvnzwI8

Just the tip of the iceberg mate.  Anyone who supports trump and cant see past the hypocrisy, arrogance, greed and illegalities is either blind or just plain stupid.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Just the tip of the iceberg mate.  Anyone who supports trump and cant see past the hypocrisy, arrogance, greed and illegalities is either blind or just plain stupid.

I know that "new low" is a daily occurrence now, but I was pretty shocked today when I heard that he said he predicts violence if repubs don't do well in the midterms. That's basically threatening one side and inciting the other to violence if you don't get your way. It's amazing how much he has gotten away with, and how much is excused by his supporters.
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2018, 07:18:48 AM »
Peter dutton...just a bigger grub than many..

quote...."in the interests of Australia as a humane and generous society".    This is what he said when one 2 occasions he let in au-pair girls to work for people he knew or had been influenced by.   Both said they intended to work but only had visitors visas.  Maybe the Manus Island fcaptived should have claimed they all wanted to be au-pairs and they would have been given the green light rather be stuck in the Shit hole.
"in the interests of Australia as a humane and generous society"....who are you kidding dutton?    wanker
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »

An Australian veteran of the Afghan war has criticised Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton for intervening in a visa case to stop a French au pair from deportation after being lobbied by AFL boss Gil McLachlan.

Captain Jason Scanes has accused Mr Dutton of ignoring several requests for a sit down to discuss the possibility of granting a visa to an Afghan interpreter who worked alongside him during Australia's involvement in Afghanistan, and whose life is in danger from the Taliban.

“I am disgusted to think that the minister has seen it fit to personally become involved in (the au pair visa) issues.”
“I have requested meetings with (Mr Dutton) through my federal MP, I have travelled to Canberra on three occasions and presented at Parliament House and requested a meeting, I even sat outside his local electorate office in Brisbane for three days.
“Still he would not speak with me. I think that truly reflects the value and regard he has for our Defence Force and the many veterans across Australia.”

Captain Scanes has questioned why Afghan interpreters who assisted Australian troops during the Afghan conflict weren't given priority.

“I feel the majority of Australians would agree with me when I ask why the granting of visas to au pairs was seen as a high priority, requiring the minister’s intervention,” he said.
“The Afghan interpreters that wore the Australian Army uniform in Afghanistan, assisting troops and facilitating our government’s mission in the war on terror, are actively being hunted by the Taliban.
“Why are they not seen as a priority to process? Many have waited years to have their applications processed, only to be refused on the grounds of a character test. Many still have no answer.”
The following users thanked this post: plusnq, GBC

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »

“Why are they not seen as a priority to process?

A nasty, cynical person, not me :angel:, might suggest that it's because they're not young, good-looking, blonde girls ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
I think this thread is heading for nasty one sided views rather than good discussion. Had to happen, always does.  :'(  I am opting out. Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
I think this thread is heading for nasty one sided views rather than good discussion. Had to happen, always does.  :'(  I am opting out. Kevin

Just following the example our dignified pollies have set.... :cheers:

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2018, 01:32:08 PM »
“I feel the majority of Australians would agree with me when I ask why the granting of visas to au pairs was seen as a high priority, requiring the minister’s intervention,” he said.
“The Afghan interpreters that wore the Australian Army uniform in Afghanistan, assisting troops and facilitating our government’s mission in the war on terror, are actively being hunted by the Taliban.
“Why are they not seen as a priority to process? Many have waited years to have their applications processed, only to be refused on the grounds of a character test. Many still have no answer.”

I think that is more than a fair question

quote...."in the interests of Australia as a humane and generous society".    This is what he said when one 2 occasions he let in au-pair girls to work for people he knew or had been influenced by.   Both said they intended to work but only had visitors visas.  Maybe the Manus Island fcaptived should have claimed they all wanted to be au-pairs and they would have been given the green light rather be stuck in the Shit hole.
"in the interests of Australia as a humane and generous society"....who are you kidding dutton?    wanker

Pretty sure they are free to go home whenever they want, as hundreds already have. Those that are found to be genuine refugees are either let in or held under the previous Governments policies, those that remain are either those who ASIO consider security risks or not genuine refugees.

I am always curious what better solution those against offshore detention have to prevent 1000's dying at sea, I agree that it is very harsh but until someone comes up with something better I'll view it the least worst solution.

The 2010 tragedy at Christmas Island where 50 odd people drowned puts horrific images to the far greater numbers of deaths at sea, I don't know how anyone can watch those helpless people dying as they get smashed up against the cliffs and drown and advocate for policies that encourage people to take the journey and try to claim being humane as justification.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »

Pretty sure they are free to go home whenever they want, as hundreds already have. Those that are found to be genuine refugees are either let in or held under the previous Governments policies, those that remain are either those who ASIO consider security risks or not genuine refugees.

I am always curious what better solution those against offshore detention have to prevent 1000's dying at sea, I agree that it is very harsh but until someone comes up with something better I'll view it the least worst solution.

The 2010 tragedy at Christmas Island where 50 odd people drowned puts horrific images to the far greater numbers of deaths at sea, I don't know how anyone can watch those helpless people dying as they get smashed up against the cliffs and drown and advocate for policies that encourage people to take the journey and try to claim being humane as justification.

They can always submit the paperwork and join the queue like other people do...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »

Many are not free to go home. If they go home they would face a real chance of death and PNG  also wont issue travel papers. They are virtual prisoners.  Certainly we need the camps...but Shit...cant we make them more humane...

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2018, 04:37:15 PM »
I think that this can help explain why people become refugees from persecution or the risk of persecution:

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/anhs-brush-with-fame/series/3/video/DO1630H005S00

When he explains how the head orthopaedic doctor was shot executed for refusing to undertake surgery for punishment reasons, it kind of sets the scene.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2018, 05:11:17 PM »
Quote from: Bigfish
...cant we make them more humane...

Plenty of struggling families hetre... Gov co doesnt give a **** about.

Then theres the 1000's of homeless here that we should be looking after too... but they dont.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2018, 06:13:24 PM »
I think that this can help explain why people become refugees from persecution or the risk of persecution:

When he explains how the head orthopaedic doctor was shot executed for refusing to undertake surgery for punishment reasons, it kind of sets the scene.

Exactly, and that's what many people don't even consider, the circumstances of why the become refugees. They call them reffos or illegal immigrants, and think they are only here for the benefits etc. Thanks for posting Ed.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »

I don't doubt that there are genuine refugees, thats why about 90% of the boat arrivals were found to have genuine claims, but let's also not pretend that many of them didn't travel through several countries where they didn't face the persecution they did in their own country on their way here.

Predominantly, the ones left in overseas detention are those who were found not to be genuine, ie they don't face persecution if they go back home but tried to BS their way into the country, they have been denied asylum but refuse to go back home.

I don't begrudge them trying to get a better life for themselves and their family, but I would rather take someone who is genuinely in need as opposed to someone just seeking to upgrade their country.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
I don't doubt that there are genuine refugees, thats why about 90% of the boat arrivals were found to have genuine claims, but let's also not pretend that many of them didn't travel through several countries where they didn't face the persecution they did in their own country on their way here.

Predominantly, the ones left in overseas detention are those who were found not to be genuine, ie they don't face persecution if they go back home but tried to BS their way into the country, they have been denied asylum but refuse to go back home.

I don't begrudge them trying to get a better life for themselves and their family, but I would rather take someone who is genuinely in need as opposed to someone just seeking to upgrade their country.

"I don't begrudge them trying to get a better life for themselves and their family, but I would rather take someone who is genuinely in need as opposed to someone just seeking to upgrade their country.
[/quote]....LIKE A COUPLE OF EU=PAIR GIRLS that the minister  ok,d?  Just more double standards from our elitist pollies.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Certainly we need the camps...but Shit...cant we make them more humane...

But a lot of these people were previously starving, while living in rubble in the middle of a war zone, with the very real chance of being killed by being shot or blown up at any time.

They're now sleeping on beds, in tents, on a tropical island, with hot running water, 3 meals a day, TV & medical facilities provided, & are able to walk down to the beach to swim or fish if they want to.

That's inhumane ???

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
But a lot of these people were previously starving, while living in rubble in the middle of a war zone, with the very real chance of being killed by being shot or blown up at any time.

They're now sleeping on beds, in tents, on a tropical island, with hot running water, 3 meals a day, TV & medical facilities provided, & are able to walk down to the beach to swim or fish if they want to.

That's inhumane ???
Must be different camps to the ones I,ve seen on TV docos and what the next door neighbour (who works at one) tells me....sure you weren't watching Getaway?
 :cheers:

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
Must have been ???

I was going off what I saw on TV a "few" years ago ???

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
Must have been ???

I was going off what I saw on TV a "few" years ago ???

lol     :cheers:

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Must be different camps to the ones I,ve seen on TV docos and what the next door neighbour (who works at one) tells me....sure you weren't watching Getaway?
 :cheers:
I knew someone who was involved in churning out the donga's to house them, not glamorous but at least to the standard they also made for FIFO workers, sure there was a time when Labors policies resulted in arrivals reaching 25,000pa and they had to house people in tents to keep up with the influx, but I'd be surprised if there was still the need for tents given the reduction of numbers since then. I have no issue in not providing great conditions for those who have been found not genuine but refuse to leave, it shouldn't be cruel or inhumane though either. It is a hard one to know what to believe though, the reports you see from some who want them closed down unsurprisingly paint a bad picture of them and the Government who doesn't unsurprisingly say's they are fine. Where between the two the truth lies is impossible to know for sure, but make it to cushy of a wait in detention and word gets out that you get a nice stay in an ODC for a year before getting granted asylum and watch the boats start back up again and associated deaths at sea.

"I don't begrudge them trying to get a better life for themselves and their family, but I would rather take someone who is genuinely in need as opposed to someone just seeking to upgrade their country.
....LIKE A COUPLE OF EU=PAIR GIRLS that the minister  ok,d?  Just more double standards from our elitist pollies.

Someone looking to come in and work instead of holiday for three months is a totally different proposition than someone trying to live hear and claim the associated benefits are two wildly different propositions. Yes it seem like Dutton made a couple of decisions that benefited people he knows and he should have to answer for them, but in the scheme of things, I don't think he has gone against any rules or regulations and think it's mainly his detractors who are trying to blow it up into something far bigger than it actually is. Plenty of other pollies who have fallen foul of actual rules and I bet the same people jumping up and down about this didn't get into anywhere near as big of a flap about it, especially for those on the other side of politics.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
I knew someone who was involved in churning out the donga's to house them, not glamorous but at least to the standard they also made for FIFO workers, sure there was a time when Labors policies resulted in arrivals reaching 25,000pa and they had to house people in tents to keep up with the influx, but I'd be surprised if there was still the need for tents given the reduction of numbers since then. I have no issue in not providing great conditions for those who have been found not genuine but refuse to leave, it shouldn't be cruel or inhumane though either. It is a hard one to know what to believe though, the reports you see from some who want them closed down unsurprisingly paint a bad picture of them and the Government who doesn't unsurprisingly say's they are fine. Where between the two the truth lies is impossible to know for sure, but make it to cushy of a wait in detention and word gets out that you get a nice stay in an ODC for a year before getting granted asylum and watch the boats start back up again and associated deaths at sea.

Someone looking to come in and work instead of holiday for three months is a totally different proposition than someone trying to live hear and claim the associated benefits are two wildly different propositions. Yes it seem like Dutton made a couple of decisions that benefited people he knows and he should have to answer for them, but in the scheme of things, I don't think he has gone against any rules or regulations and think it's mainly his detractors who are trying to blow it up into something far bigger than it actually is. Plenty of other pollies who have fallen foul of actual rules and I bet the same people jumping up and down about this didn't get into anywhere near as big of a flap about it, especially for those on the other side of politics.

But they came in visiting visas and not work visa,s...even admitting to working while here.  This should have been stopped at the border, like the officials in charge tried to do...as many thousands of examples before them.  However once again the wealthy knew who to contact and have a rule broken so the rich didnt have to get their hands dirty.. Bloody disgrace! You may not think its a big deal but I , like a huge amount of people are sick of the bastards having one rule for us and one rule for the wealthy.  Anyway I,ll leave it at that as my beer is nice and cold..cheers

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
But they came in visiting visas and not work visa,s...even admitting to working while here.  This should have been stopped at the border, like the officials in charge tried to do...as many thousands of examples before them.  However once again the wealthy knew who to contact and have a rule broken so the rich didnt have to get their hands dirty.. Bloody disgrace! You may not think its a big deal but I , like a huge amount of people are sick of the bastards having one rule for us and one rule for the wealthy.  Anyway I,ll leave it at that as my beer is nice and cold..cheers

Have a look here, as I said bo rule was broken. https://theconversation.com/peter-duttons-decisions-on-the-au-pairs-are-legal-but-there-are-other-considerations-102414