Author Topic: Leadership spill happened...  (Read 26582 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Leadership spill happened...
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2018, 06:41:55 PM »
And after all of this, in my opinion, which I admit is just like anyone elses asshole, is they still voted the wrong person in. Julie Bishop is the only marketable person the Libs have got. ScoMo is just short of being a blithering idiot, Dutton is seen as a Nazi. Bishop would have kept a fair majority of the Lib voters and got the womens vote the same as Gillard got. The lot of them are too stupid for words.
yep....if this had anything to do with saving the party at the next election then Julie Bishop was the one who should have gotten the job, all the polls show her a mile infront as a preferred leader for the Libs with the general public...sadly this had nothing to do with saving thier party though.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »
yep....if this had anything to do with saving the party at the next election then Julie Bishop was the one who should have gotten the job, all the polls show her a mile infront as a preferred leader for the Libs with the general public...sadly this had nothing to do with saving thier party though.

This was nothing to do with whats best for Oz, its future or the party.  This was an ego game.  As much as I dislike Bishop she would have been the best of the mongrel bunch..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
This was nothing to do with whats best for Oz, its future or the party.  This was an ego game.  As much as I dislike Bishop she would have been the best of the mongrel bunch..
And in this day and age of gender equality, whether you agree with it or not, I'm surprised she didn't get the numbers ??

AND, during all this rubbish taking place, where was all the attention to actually running the country.....aahh, that's right, they don't do anything anyway !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
Countries got big problems and they're just worried about themselves. Tells you what sort of people they are.
This sums up what most people think.
Warning F bomb
https://youtu.be/m0ufUSVSyUc

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: Bigfish

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »
Countries got big problems and they're just worried about themselves. Tells you what sort of people they are.
This sums up what most people think.
Warning F bomb
https://youtu.be/m0ufUSVSyUc

Cheers Glen

Yep the system is broke and no amount of new leaders will fix it.............gravy train anyone

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10:01 PM »
Well that bit is over and the biggest problem is still to come Shorten will be in the Lodge in A few months or less and then you will have something to bitch about, or unless most of you belong to the CFMEU.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Shippo

• Swag User
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »
Well that bit is over and the biggest problem is still to come Shorten will be in the Lodge in A few months or less and then you will have something to bitch about, or unless most of you belong to the CFMEU.

Because supporting the libs has worked out real well for the people of Australia?
2004 V6 Toyota Prado. Coromal Magnum 440 XC Rally

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
Agreed, if they'd waited until after an election, they would have won another term with Turnbull at the helm, he could have retired, and ScoMo taken over anyway...

Pretty much guaranteed that Shitbag Daniel Andrews will get re-elected in Victoria in September too...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »

I used to belong to the CFMEU, and by way of amalgamation only got roped into the construction and forestry side of it. As a coal miner, in UMFA, we handled things quite well ourselves for decades.

We had plenty of strikes over wages and conditions, but generally didn't give a crap about affiliatation with labour leaders etc.

There will always be one side to any political discussion...yours....but I'll agree with one point...Shorten isn't PM material...zero charisma !! >:D >:D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2018, 04:40:45 AM »
I'm what they call a swinging voter, I have no preference towards either of the majors, come election time, I typically vote for who I believe to be the best of the candidates for our area at that time. I've probably voted ALP as many times as I've voted Lib/Nat......hell, I've even voted independent a couple of times...........................The hardest thing is finding a party (or candidate for that matter) that campaigns about what they are going to try and deliver.....................they all appear to focus their entire political career on how bad their opponents are?

I agree with one of the previous comments that we haven't actually had anyone govern the country since the Keating/Howard era ? Sadly, for the last decade our political leadership has been non-existent, and it makes you wonder if it is even worth voting at all ?

But thats the dilemma we face...............................Don't vote, and you have no say over who leads the country, do vote, and you still have no say over who leads the country ? If you vote for the best candidate in your area, and they are not aligned with the majority government, then you have little chance of that candidate being able to achieve anything for your area ?, and there is not much value in voting for an independent unless you can be sure they will hold the balance of power

Basically, our whole political system is little more than a lucky dip at the moment, and frankly both of the major parties appear to care little about anything other than destroying their opponents (or even their own party), or whose turn is it to sit on the iron throne.

FFS..........when will someone stand up and focus on running the country ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2018, 05:05:02 AM »
Not a good thing to say, but just maybe we need a "jackal" to sort a couple of them out and bring them back to the real world   :'( :'( :'(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2018, 06:38:59 AM »
Watch a bit of the senate and now I am really scared.  Pauline Hanson gave a speech and she made sense.  :-[  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
Watch a bit of the senate and now I am really scared.  Pauline Hanson gave a speech and she made sense.  :-[  Kevin

You know s#%£s bad when she starts to make sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2018, 06:59:22 AM »
I dont know if you lot get the Clive Palmer advert, where you live, as we do in Cairns.  The Clive Palmer party (or whoever he is aligned with now) want.......a 20% income tax reduction for everyone who lives more than 200klm from Brisbane..Suddenly Brisbane is the centre  crawling with filthy rich who dont need a tax reduction.  I think the bloke needs to ease up on the weight supplements and see a shrink..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: listo

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
Excellent summation of how most Aussies feel imho...

IF you don’t show up to vote in Australia on Election Day, you can expect to get a fine in the mail. Voting in this country is compulsory. But politicians listening to voters? Apparently that’s voluntary.

What we’ve learnt these past few years, culminating with this week’s leadership spill, is that in Australia the rules that the rest of us have to live by don’t seem to apply to politicians.

That they haven’t lived up to their side of the bargain has led to the diminishing of our faith, not just in our political parties, but in our political institutions and the system as a whole. It’s taken us to a dangerous place, where people shrug their shoulders and have given up caring, when really, we should care more than ever before.

Australians are sick of leadership spills, but our dissatisfaction runs deeper than that. We’re sick of the whole political game. Because although it’s a game for the politicians — tallying numbers like a scoreboard at the footy – for the rest of us, real life goes on.

Farmers suffering through drought? That’s real life, not a game.

Pensioners shivering through winter because they’re terrified of their heating bill for using their heater? That’s real life, not a game.

Young people who’ll never afford a home in a major city? That’s real, too.

This week’s leadership spill is only the latest chapter in our recent political history where we’ve seen that the real-life consequences experienced by the rest of us just don’t apply to politicians.

This past year, 15 members of parliament either resigned or were ruled ineligible by the High Court because they didn’t follow the rules and had failed to renounce their foreign citizenships. Not one or two. Fifteen. Careless with their paperwork and responsibility, they were still paid for the time they sat in Parliament without legitimacy. They didn’t have to pay back a cent. Their ineptitude cost us millions in by-elections and High Court hearings.

Ask someone who’s had their Centrelink payments overpaid how eagerly the government claws it back. Every last dollar and all the cents too. One rule for politicians, another rule for everyone else.

In June, politicians got a pay rise taking their base salaries to just under $200,000. It kicked in the same day that penalty rates were cut. Regular workers haven’t seen wage growth in years. One rule for politicians, another rule for everyone else.

But it’s not just unfairness and inequality that has politicians on the nose.
Malcolm Turnbull gives his final media conference as Prime Minister. Picture: Sean Davey

The broken system that they can take advantage of is a huge part of the problem.

Look at the Senate. At the ballot box, we’re handed papers so enormous and confusing they can’t possibly be read. Out of confusion, most people just put a “1” above the line and hope for the best, their votes decided by party preference deals.

Senators get voted in on party tickets, and then switch parties anyway. Cory Bernardi made sure he was on the Liberals ticket in 2016. Once in, he served briefly as an independent, before starting his own party, Australian Conservatives. No one has ever voted for this party in the Senate, yet it has its own Senator. Five other senators have also switched parties after being elected and there’s nothing we can do. How is that fair?

In the House of Representatives, we’ve become used to the leadership spills that decide who’ll be the prime minister. Never mind who was the leader at the election, they’ll change their minds on a whim anyway. New leaders bring new policies, of course. These days, we never get what we were originally sold. If a small business does that to a customer, they end up at consumer affairs. Again, its one rule for politicians, another rule for everyone else.

Friday’s vote didn’t resolve the leadership issue, it just spat out another prime minister to hold the fort until the next one. We know that by now. The same politicians and commentators who circled the ousted Malcolm Turnbull will circle Scott Morrison. They won’t think twice about it.

And even if he isn’t torn down before an election, neither he, nor a Labor leader either, can promise with any real conviction that they’ll deliver the policies they offer to us. We’re used to a system now where trust has been obliterated. We’ve seen the switch played on us time and time again. For them it's a game, for us it’s real life.

If there is one positive of this week, and these years of chaos, it’s that we can better see their true colours. We see our leaders standing beside a friend one day who they’ll throw to the wolves the next, for their own self-interest, vanity, ego or narcissism. We know now they will only pull the knife from the back of one colleague to plunge it into another. They couldn’t be more disingenuous, they couldn’t be more disloyal. If they’re disloyal to friends, what chance do we have of them being loyal to us? Our job now, having been scorned so frequently, is not to shrug our shoulders and look away, but to look closer.

“We’ve all got to live by the rules in this country,” Prime Minister Scott Morrison said in his first press conference yesterday.

We live by the rules, but all too frequently, he and his colleagues don’t.

The first step to mending the system, will be politicians showing us they can live by them too. They’ll be judged by their actions, not by their words.

Chris Urquhart is a freelance journalist. Follow him on Twitter: @chrisurquhart

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »
if that's the speech she gave on Thursday, I saw that....gotta say that if you take out her screeching voice and poor ability to articulate what she wanted to say, I agreed with what she said. In essence her message was that all the major pollies only care about themselves (she gave them a huge serve on that point), it's the Aussie public that have come to the rescue of drought stricken farmers whilst the government did SFA and did it to late, electricty costs are killing peoples businesses and standards of living, and to put it to the people what they think of the current immigration situation in Australia. Yes much of that is populist stuff, but was refreshing to see someone in parliament still in touch with the average punter....the saddest part of her speech, whoever the muppets were from the other party's that were shouting over top of her trying to drown out her message. You don't have to agree with her, but grow up and act like an adult when in Parliment, it was like watching school kids fighting in the school yard the way the other pollies were acting.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
You don't have to agree with her, but grow up and act like an adult when in Parliment, it was like watching school kids fighting in the school yard the way the other pollies were acting.

Most pollies used to be in the private school debating teams, and haven't been in the real world since. Good with the gift of the gab, but lacking real world experience.
Pauline.......bit rough around the edges,and not overly smart, but she has got a bit of Trump in her.......shoots from the mouth instead of the brain, but "mostly" says what the public are thinking.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2018, 09:25:04 AM »
Most pollies used to be in the private school debating teams, and haven't been in the real world since. Good with the gift of the gab, but lacking real world experience.
Pauline.......bit rough around the edges,and not overly smart, but she has got a bit of Trump in her.......shoots from the mouth instead of the brain, but "mostly" says what the public are thinking.

Only the public with a similar mentality. And don't start with the "silent majority" garbage, that's just a phrase people use when they know they don't really have the majority on their side.

But I do agree, with "bit rough around the edges,and not overly smart"  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
 :worthles:All this talk about politicians. There is only one truth, and you don't get it from a politician. They only care about themselves, that's it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:00:51 AM by corndog »

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »
People take for granted all the hard fought victories the union movement has made FOR ALL.

Compulsory super.
40hr work week.
Annual leave.
OH&S.
Workers compensation
Equal pay for Women.
Maternity leave.
Sick Leave.
Long service leave.
Meal breaks(yes you had to work ALL day without a break)
Thats just a start.

Was it a coincidence that as unions began getting stronger, child labour was eventually regulated and then made illegal?
I visit my grand dads grave in Fremantle and in that whole older section theres his and dozens of others buried by the unions because they were worked to death, died poor, and it was the Lumpers and WWF unions that gave them the decency of a burial.
Ever heard of The Hungry Mile and the Bull System? It wasnt so long ago.
Yep unions have ruined this country.

As you can tell Im slightly a "little" bit left.

Cheers Glen

The following users thanked this post: listo, Troopy_03, Shippo

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
Out of curiosity as I don't follow politics hugely....did Whitlam have a majority government, or did he have the same sort of rubbish 50 /50 split with minorities like the Greens and Independents pulling the strings  set up our country has had the past however many years?

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
People take for granted all the hard fought victories the union movement has made FOR ALL.

Compulsory super.
40hr work week.
Annual leave.
OH&S.
Workers compensation
Equal pay for Women.
Maternity leave.
Sick Leave.
Long service leave.
Thats just a start.

Cheers Glen

And they at times fought hard for some of these conditions, even getting shot on several occasions ...

As the coal mines were some of the hardest working conditions back 50 yrs ago, they were by nature some of the most militant and also the ones that got some of the above conditions.

Yet Jonny Howard was the one who tried very hard to take away some of those conditions...and did succeed on some of them..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:01:04 AM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
Out of curiosity as I don't follow politics hugely....did Whitlam have a majority government, or did he have the same sort of rubbish 50 /50 split with minorities like the Greens and Independents pulling the strings  set up our country has had the past however many years?
Had a majority in the house of reps, but the Libs/Nats controlled the senate.
Thats why it all ended in bun fight in 75.

Cheers Glen

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »

Compulsory super.
40hr work week.
Annual leave.
OH&S.
Workers compensation
Equal pay for Women.
Maternity leave.
Sick Leave.
Long service leave.
Thats just a start.

Was it a coincidence that as unions began getting stronger, child labour was eventually regulated and then made illegal?
I visit my grand dads grave in Fremantle and in that whole older section theres his and dozens of others buried by the unions because they were worked to death, died poor, and it was the Lumpers and WWF unions that gave them the decency of a burial.
Ever heard of The Hungry Mile and the Bull System? It wasnt so long ago.
Yep unions have ruined this country.

As you can tell Im slightly a "little" bit left.

Heres 2 achievements..

Cheers Glen

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2018, 03:41:24 PM »
It does not worry me who gets in power and runs the country.

They never do what they say, in fact the opposite.

They continually lie.

They are only there to look after themselves.

They do not give a Shite about the voters.

Next election we will hear the same crap and lies and yet people still believe them and vote what ever party in.

I cannot remember the last time I actually voted for a party. I just get my name ticked off and leave the forms blank and put them in the ballot box.

Have I given up trusting a politician, yes, 30 plus years ago. Whats the point,  as they never do what they say.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia