Author Topic: Jayco outback swan vs trak shak  (Read 10945 times)

Offline Garnsy

• Learning the Ropes
Jayco outback swan vs trak shak
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Hi all

This is my first time on a forum. After some advice. My fiancé an I have decided we are going to take off around Australia in jan next year for 12 months. I'm trying to decide what camper to get. I have a 08 Hilux wich I have fully set up ready to go now for the camper.

We will have a 8yo for some of the time a nearly 3yo and a 8 month old( so 3 kids) I am tossing up between the jayco swan for comfort and a trak shak so we're not restricted to where we want to go.

I'm a bit concerned about the quality and toughness of the jayco. Will it last the distance with some off the more off road stuff or will it restrict me to just mild off road stuff?

My concern is how long it will take to set up the trak shak. Is it something that will just get annoying after 12 months or so of travel with 3 young kids.

Would love to hear some input.

Cheers

05 100 series landcruiser
03 Trak Shak

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Re: Jayco outback swan vs trak shak
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »
I would go with the outback swan.  We toured the east coast of oz with an on road model with a similar configeration of kids.

Our 8mo slept on a mattress that we cut to fit between the two seats where the table is.  The other two on the smaller of the two end beds.

Really worked great. 
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
Hi Garnsy and welcome to My Swag

IMO the Trak Shak is a tougher CT and will be less restrictive in regards to where you can go. We have used one and they dont take very long at all to set up and pack away, plenty of storage too.

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline 99disco

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:45:13 PM »
I'd have to say the jayco myself. Couldn't think of anything worse than living out of plastic tubs for food and clothes for a year.

Shane

nbd73

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
From what I have read the trak shak is not the quickest to erect, but it does provide vast amounts of living space. Seems more suited to extended stays in the one spot.
I think what you really have to consider is where you want to go. Wind up CT's are wider and heavier than the majority of soft floor CT's so that restricts you straight away. For an around oz trip I would put weight reduction high on the priority list. As an alternative, have you considered a cub hard floor with 1 or 2 oz trail quick erect tents? These CT's are light, and if desperate could squeeze 3 kids on the floor area. Just another possibility. As a wind up owner I'm not sure they are the best option for day to day travel, but as said probably better than certain soft floors for ease of set up & quality of living.
Good luck with your search.

Offline crashbang

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
Hi consider also Goldstream range of outback campers... good hunting for the best CT that works for you.
100 Series V8 Cruiser, Bull Bar, Lightbar,UHF, GPS, Anderson plug, Brake controller, winch, snorkel, Dual Batteries.
1998 NL, Pajero GLS Lux pack, 3500 petrol auto 2" lift, TJM Bull Bar, Spots, UHF, GPS, Anderson Plug with Redarc isolator, R Camera, Brake controller,LR tank, Snorkel

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
From what I have read the trak shak is not the quickest to erect............... Seems more suited to extended stays in the one spot...........

With respect, I don't agree with ^...........we had a TrakShak for 7 years.
They're faster and easier than most to erect and pack-up........
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

nbd73

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »
With respect, I don't agree with ^...........we had a TrakShak for 7 years.
They're faster and easier than most to erect and pack-up........
That's fair enough, I did say "from what I have read", and that was not made up. I guess if people who write reviews are going to fabricate their stories to suit a particular agenda it does bring into question the whole point of a review. In any event, I'm happy to stand corrected. Are the new models the same as the one u had? They certainly look involved. My comment was not intended to put down that brand, but I do stand by the issue of weight. Unless of course the data provided with said reviews also told fairy tales about this. I have seen quite a few soft floor models and I still think a hard floor rear or forward fold would be quicker and more suited to every day travel for a family of 4.
But I am happy to be wrong, thanks for pulling me up :angel:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:11:35 PM by nbd73 »

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »
No worries, we're all entitled to our opinions.

We had a '97 model TrakShak. They've changed the odd detail here and there, but that's about all. The big advantages I see over other soft floors are bedding, interior space, and they're truly dust-proof. TS don't have a dusty/muddy/crappy bag to stuff around with when setting-up and packing up. That's probably the difference in set-up times between a TS and other soft floors......no bag.

They're ideal for a family. Ours had 2 QS beds, off the ground, and suited just fine. The kids are grown now, so we have a different set-up.

Whoever wrote the report you read may not have been all that familiar with the TS........but then, some people just never seem to "get" some things.......

:cheers:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:36:17 PM by GeoffA »
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
Go the Swan.. No real reason except I love it and I'm biased... And I don't have a clue on the track shak  ;D

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Andrew_C

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
We ( me, my wife, and two kids 4 &6) have done longish trips for the last four years,
- first was 6 weeks broken hill, flinders ranges in jayco swan, not the greatest with the kids sleeping together and offroad ability,
- second was 5 weeks in  older soft floor, not enough room and pain to set up and pack up each night and if wet, qld as far as rockhampton,
- third was 6 weeks in new southern cross quick fold soft floor, even with a good setup, was a pain to shift camp all of the time, especially if wet, still have it in the garage.
- this year, 14 weeks up centre and down west coast, wife made an ultimatum of caravan or no trip, last week bought a royal flair 16 footer tuff roder, off roader with bunks, 2 minutes and setup, weather not a problem,

Should be interesting to see the difference in setup and pack up, especially after long hauls, fuel is a few extra litres per 100, but very comfortable ( even if I have only tried it in the back yard.)

Offline Garnsy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated. I'm still no closer to making a decision. 1st lesson in travelling around oz it's a big decision making the right call lon a camper. I really want to know if the swan  outback would be ok for roads like the gibb river. I'm definitely someone who likes to get off the beaten track. I have started to think maybe go  the swan for a bit more comfort for the mrs and  kids then maybe drop the van off and and tent  it to some of the more remote areas. I dread finding a prestine beach/ water hole and the swan stopping me from setting up there for a couple of weeks.
Thanks again for your feedback. :cheers:
03 Trak Shak

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Hi Garnsy, many people (even the manufacturers judging by thier brochures/marketing ) think that slow low-range driving off-road (such as the Vic High Country, for instance) is what destroys campers, so many owners say think "if it will survive that, it will survive anything!"
However that is not correct, it is the rhythmic battering from dirt-road corrugations (such as GRR) that sees the demise of many vehicles... and not just trailers. This should be FAR MORE of a consideration for you that whether it takes three, six or nine minutes to set-up on a 12-month trek.
Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:09:27 AM by GeeTee »

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »
Quote from: GeeTee
Hi Garnsy, many people (even the manufactuirers judging by thier brochures/marketing ) think that slow low-rangedriving off-road (such as the Vic High Country, for instance) is what destroys campers, so many owners say think "if it will survive that, it will survive anything!"
However that is not correct, it is the rhythmic battering from dirt-road corrugations (such as GRR) that sees the demise of many vehicles... and not just trailers. This should be FAR MORE of a consideration for you that whether it takes three, six or nine minutes to set-up on a 12-month trek.
Hope this helps!
Fantastic advice.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
Hi Garnsy,

We used to own a little Windsor Sunwagon, similar to the Jayco, with independent coil spring suspension and shockers. It was a great little unit but when we started taking it off the bitumen dust became a problem and we were concerned about it would hold up to our big trip we were planning. In the end we bought a Trak Shak and travelled with our 2 kids for 6 months and it was awesome. We took it on the roughest tracks and were completely self-sufficient when needed. The storage inside is great, ability to carry heaps of jerry cans unmatched, ours had the boat rack for more storage, the bed set up meant no-one had to crawl over the other like they do in the Jayco designs and the tent space is huge!

In terms of setting up, we had a 'quick set-up' for overnighters with minimal poles and pegs and a 'long set-up' when staying a few days with mozzie room, tarp over the top, all the pegs/poles etc. While we did look in envy at the caravans pulling up, unhitching and cracking a coldie, we wouldn't have changed it for anything and setting up was never a chore. The 4 of us all had our own jobs to do and we were a well oiled machine in setting up!

Mark.
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline Garnsy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks again for your feedback. I have changed my mind altogether. I am now really liking the look of the camprite. It's a fair bit more expensive and will definitely stretch the budge but thats what i'm working on.The next issue I have is trying to see one set up. I live in south Australia and the bulk of them seem to be in WA where they are made. Does anyone have any feedback on a camprite?

Cheers for your input.

Garnsy
03 Trak Shak

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »
Burnt has a camprite. Previously had an old Jayco.
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 08:50:40 PM »
...........The next issue I have is trying to see one set up...........

Don't just look........make sure you have a couple of goes at setting up/packing up yourself BEFORE buying, whatever it is........
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

nbd73

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 09:05:39 PM »
Don't just look........make sure you have a couple of goes at setting up/packing up yourself BEFORE buying, whatever it is........
Possibly some of the best advice offered to buyers of any type of mobile home that is not a caravan. And don't always be fooled by show demos as they only show the main aspects without doing the whole deal. Many reviews etc overlook the time taken simply to level the trailer and lower the stabiliser bars/legs. This on its own is a 5 minute exercise, so propaganda about "2 minute set ups" obviously excludes this important aspect. Unless of course you don't mind sleeping on inclines (why would anyone put up with this after forking out thousands for the privilege of a CT?) and for those with 3 way fridges is simply not an option.

Offline markymark

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • everyone seems normal until you get to know them
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »
It came down to the Camprite or Trak Shak for us too. The thing that swung us towards the Trak Shak was the floor space when you get (and you will!) wet weather. We had a couple of days where we were stuck inside over the 6 month trip. Having said that, I really like the Camprite design with the tent off the ground.

They're all a compromise hey?
Trak Shak, FJ Cruiser

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 11:32:14 PM »
Garnsey, being in Adelaide go and see the Cameron campers. The concept tent is quick and easy to set up, design is good and from what I gather the trailers are strong as oxes as well. They are on O'Sullivans Beach Rd.
I'm trying to work out what to get and while I like the idea of a Goldstream or Windsor Rapid, I think the corrugations out here will kill them.
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D

Offline Garnsy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your feedback. Some very helpful information. Does anyone know where I might be able to check out a camprite set up here in SA or a bit closer than WA. I just want to see one before I go any further with my decision. My mrs is leaning more towards the outback swan and I'm more camprite.

Cheers
Garnsy
03 Trak Shak

Offline ondaboat

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Go the Camprite!

Here is a pic of ours set up at Pondalowie Bay on the Yorke Peninsular. As markymark said regarding any camper "they are all a comprimise" That is so true.

For us we made a list of what we wanted with the most important on top.
Have the beds set up all the time
Quick set up time for overnight stops but also the ability to have additional awning space
Genuine offroad ability and a few other things

My brother inlaw has an early 2000 model Camprite and I did like the concept. We looked around and was going to buy an old Track Shak but missed out, then looked at a few secondhand Camprites (not many) that were on the market at the time. Just by chance I was looking on the Camprite website and notice they had some new builds for sale, so a quick call to Reg and deal was done. Car packed and off for a road trip to Perth.

First night camping at Busselton in the new camper. Had a comment from my camping neighbour after it was up "gee that was quick" then I told him "its new just picked it up".

Some may say they are pricey but when you look at the quality of the built and aftersales service, for a quality Australian made product the answer was simple.

Regards Adam

Oh and if anyone in SA wants lo have a look at a Camprite TL8s PM me no probs at all.(I work 5 weeks on 5 weeks off)

Camprite TL8s towed by 2007 D4D Prado with lots of goodies.

Offline Garnsy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Awesome Adam. I have tried your mobile a couple of times. Will try you when your back in town.

Cheers
Simon
03 Trak Shak