Matson
DownUnder
Gasmate
Companion
BushBoy
Aldi, the wonder fridge
Techni Ice
Kings

Author Topic: What Fridge do you use Poll.  (Read 265620 times)

Offline ab56452001

• Tent User
  • Big Al
Re: What Fridge do you use Poll.
« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2021, 01:13:02 AM »
Just to revive and old Thread .  I posses 3 working fridges , all bought at different times for different reasons and all still going . The oldest is a Waeco 35 with the old sliding controls and external 240v transformer , id say 10 years old and  has been used intermittantly as a Fridge/Freezer over the years on many Trips, id say its the loudest and most power hungry of my 3 , got it on Special for 500$ . Next oldest is a 50l  Indel B type sold by Evacool again a 500$ online purchase about 5 years ago used mainly in the Shed , as a Freezer  during the Summer Months , running sometimes 3 months at a stretch . Next and the the one that has been abused the most is , wait for it ,............. a Glacier 28l  that i scored for the Princely sum of 218$ delivered  ! , they Day i got it ,about 3 years ago , i dropped it putting it in the 4WD , the Lid flew off, some of the suround trim fell off and the touch control panel dislodged and was just hanging by electrical wires ! , i nearly turffed it , but decided to try salvage it and cobbled/glued it back together and it sits silently working next to me in the Car still today ! , So despite all the doom and gloom predicted by my Engel owning Mates , for a total outlay of around 1200$ , ive had a good run i think , maybe lucky ? , who knows , cheers.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #501 on: August 13, 2021, 08:28:25 AM »
this grave dig made me think too...

currently got an ARB 65L in the back of the cruiser and a small Waeco console fridge between the front seats (we removed the factory 105 console) and it gives us glorious CUP HOLDERS!

that has been our combo for years of outback trips and travels.

The addition of the Getaway van brought with it a 94' era Electrolux 70L upright 3 way... I sold camping gear in the early 80's when I left school and 3 ways fridges haven't come very far from the same 80's technology. So it's being removed and replaced with a 2nd hand Waeco CR80 upright. 12v/240v only.

Depending on the trip(s), we may option to leave the ARB at home. Or use it *only* as a freezer.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #502 on: January 07, 2023, 08:22:16 PM »
Anyone used, or have any experience with a Brass Monkey 12/24vDC portable ice maker?
 https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/brass-monkey-12-24vdc-portable-ice-maker/p/GH1560
Cheers

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #503 on: January 08, 2023, 05:59:36 AM »
An interesting thread.

It is heavily biased to Waeco, Engel,  Evervcool and iceboxes. But started in 2009.

I wonder what it would look like if it started today. There would be a larger distribution to other brands, I am sure.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #504 on: March 11, 2023, 10:56:55 AM »
I've upgraded to the Kings 85lt Standup unit, just installed it today.
Previous unit is a Fridgemate(evakool) 60lt, still works well, it was not practical, having to slide it out, slide it back in to use the drop down tailgate.
Searched many YouTube videos, forums, and ask questions about the Kings & the Bushmans, I decided to purchase the Kings.
$780 + sensor, delivered, lest than an hour to install.
Using a 240v to 12v power source it got to 7` in just under 30 minutes and the ice tray in the freezer had started to freeze.
I'll monitor things over the coming week, like running on 12v, with the fixed solar panel on the roof.
Oh, and it's give some more room behind the second row seat.
$780.00 delivered.

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 11:03:09 AM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #505 on: March 13, 2023, 10:22:14 PM »
Got an Engel 60l combo in my camper when I bought it. Never happy with it as to freeze anything in the freezer section it froze stuff in the fridge part. If you turned it down to keep the fridge at the right temp stuff would defrost in the freezer. It stopped cooling a while ago so took it to the local Engel guy here and was gonna cost $1200 to fix it. No thanks I said. Bought a Kickass dual section 75l delivered for less than $900. Had it in the ute now for 12 months and hasn't missed a beat. Can make it a fridge/fridge, fridge/freezer or freezer/freezer. And it fitted straight into my Clearview drop slide.
Very happy.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.