Author Topic: One for the IT Boffins  (Read 23658 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: One for the IT Boffins
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 07:09:02 AM »
Team
We are rearranging the offices here and will have everyone within 10ft of each other ... all on the phone all day, with foghorn voices... - Finance, sales, CSR's, you name it - a plan which will fail, but they wont listen.
Looking for noise cancelling headphones to use on the PC and mobile fones (apparently the desk phones that everyone uses dont matter... nobody uses mobiles, but thats critical... ?? )

Ordered a plantronics set, but the noise cancelling isnt what I expected.. maybe Im hoping for too much
- wireless
- blue tooth

what do you use around the office... ?

are you looking for noise-cancelling headsets?  or just headphones?

we've actually just gone through the process of removing all of our desk phones, and everyone just has a mobile now...

we are waiting on deliveries of plantronics bluetooth headsets for use in the office.  haven't got them yet...

i don't believe they are noise cancelling...

if it's headsets you are after, then plantronics are a pretty good buy... you may not get much better noise cancelling in a headset.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 07:34:07 AM »
My previous office was setup like this. It's a nightmare as there is always one person who has a loud voice and is on a con call. You need at least dual earpiece headphones and noise cancelling, we had Plantronics, but even that doesn't work. This type of office design is the best way to make sure nobody sits at their desks.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
AFAIK noise cancelling uses phase shifting and is only effective for noise with a set pattern such as aircraft turbines, not random noise. I think the headphones simply muffle the noise so perhaps ordinary headphones with good ear coverage would be just as effective.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
But they're all still going to be 1.5m apart ???
10' is about 3m

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
Quote from: Fizzie
But they're all still going to be 1.5m apart ???
Yep... new desks are 1.5 and not as deep as current ones... to fit 2 screens, phones, PC, keyboard, paperwork, trays, etc....  "it will be fine" apparently.... says the bloke that is leaving after the ****up is complete. We all have printed off and laminated A3 "WE TOLD YOU SO" banners.

Quote from: D4D
My previous office was setup like this. It's a nightmare as there is always one person who has a loud voice and is on a con call.
You've met Leanne and 1/2 her team have you? We call her Foghorn... In her 60s' and doesnt understand the concept of you dont need to yell into phones for the person at the other end to hear you... Its not 2 paper cups and string.

You need at least dual earpiece headphones and noise cancelling, we had Plantronics, but even that doesn't work. This type of office design is the best way to make sure nobody sits at their desks.
yea we got some Plantronic 8200UC and the boss wasnt happy. I think the idea is a back door way to get people to work from home. But many cant.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:37:36 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 11:13:41 AM »
Quote from: Wazza999
AFAIK noise cancelling uses phase shifting and is only effective for noise with a set pattern such as aircraft turbines, not random noise. I think the headphones simply muffle the noise so perhaps ordinary headphones with good ear coverage would be just as effective.
yea I got a set of these to try zero noise cancelling but amazing sound..
https://www.logitechg.com/en-au/products/gaming-audio/g533-wireless-gaming-headset.981-000636.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
Quote from: paceman
are you looking for noise-cancelling headsets?  or just headphones?

we've actually just gone through the process of removing all of our desk phones, and everyone just has a mobile now...

we are waiting on deliveries of plantronics bluetooth headsets for use in the office.  haven't got them yet...

i don't believe they are noise cancelling...

if it's headsets you are after, then plantronics are a pretty good buy... you may not get much better noise cancelling in a headset.

yea not a fan of the idea of mobiles
They break, they go missing, they get stolen, they break - I have a box of 28 broken mobiles here from last few years - inc 2x s9's with broken screens n 2 with dead batteries which nobody seems to want to pay to get fixed

Noise killing/murdering Headsets.  I bought Logitech G533 gaming headset thinking that may work, but it doesn't I can still hear foghorn. She would make a rocket exploding on take off sound like a mozzie fart.

Maybe expectations and reality are too far apart  as going off reviews on youtube etc all seem to say the plantronics 8200's are great... :(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:38:16 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »

Offline Wazza999

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
I bought Bose Quiet Comfort for the wife, they are pretty amazing, but at $350+ they'd want to be. I have Sennheiser HD450 not bad at half the price. But with both you can still hear conversations. I reckon industrial ear protection is the way to go.

2011 NT Pajero; 2007 Goldstream Crown 4B

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:57:12 PM by Wazza999 »
NT Pajero/2007 Goldstream Crown

Online gruntle

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
We get good results with Jabra Evolve 80 or Jabra Evolve 75 headset (4 people in the same small office running a service desk). We use simplyheadsets.com.au (ask for a loan you might get lucky !).

Worked with a foghorn and turns out they were actually a little bit deaf (didn't know it), increasing the headset volume reduced the noise in the room. Might be a hard subject to bring up  :laugh:

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 06:54:28 AM »
Worked with a foghorn and turns out they were actually a little bit deaf (didn't know it), increasing the headset volume reduced the noise in the room. Might be a hard subject to bring up  :laugh:

Don't tell her! ;D

Just set the volume on her headset to 90% before passing them out >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »
Quote from: gruntle
Worked with a foghorn and turns out they were actually a little bit deaf
na this one is just inconsiderate and likes to feel important by making out she is busy all day every day
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
One for the IT Boffins
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2020, 07:26:53 AM »
Bose qc35 excellent in all conditions, but have a slightly odd sound when noise cancelling is switched off due the the 3 external microphones
They can be difficult for the person you are talking to in excessively noisy environment. As they cancel noise for you not the person you are talking to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 04:10:03 PM by lloydus67 »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
New question for the Boffins

Anyone using SOFTPHONE's ??? Tested, happy with ?? steer clear?? thinking of using them?

I've played with x-lite softphone (now called Bria) which worked pretty well.
https://www.counterpath.com/bria-teams/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:23:03 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2020, 03:52:47 PM »
New question for the Boffins

Anyone using SOFTPHONE's ??? Tested, happy with ?? steer clear?? thinking of using them?

I've played with x-lite softphone (now called Bria) which worked pretty well.
https://www.counterpath.com/bria-teams/
nobody using software phones on IP? :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2020, 04:14:42 PM »
Yes I had voip phone for a few years, brand was whatever the TPG recommendation and bought from them. It’s as good as your bandwidth and how you prioritise your connection. During heavy download and upload use of connection I would lose phone connection, but that was with adsl2 but speed was only 2mb
I don’t have a phone connected now as it was only ever scammers and sales people that ever rang me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »
Quote from: lloydus67
Ias it was only ever scammers and sales people that ever rang me.

I've had 4 calls on the mobile today from them :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
I've had 4 calls on the mobile today from them :(
“Nicole fron nbn co” now has my mobile number.
Blocked the number, see whether she shows on a new one.
First scammer on my mobile.

Online gruntle

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2020, 06:00:41 AM »
nobody using software phones on IP? :(

We use Bria (150 lic) and its been pretty solid. Managing licences is is bit of a pain as they are assigned to users (would prefer  a pool based on concurrent use). Also we haven't been able to include the setup in the install package, but I know we are not on the latest version.

The Bria licensing model changes for us later this year and we will take a look at web based soft phones to avoid any local installation if it's viable/good.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2020, 06:42:53 AM »
We are moving to Enterprise Voice with Skype for Business. Total sh!tstorm as far as I am concerned. I manage our concurrent NEC 8500 pabx and much prefer it but EV does give mobility to work from home with a vpn connection. Seems to me that EV is out as much as it is working. MS teams is on the agenda as a replacement.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »
Quote from: gruntle
We use Bria (150 lic) and its been pretty solid.
Good to know, I know that x-lite was easy to use.

Managing licences is is bit of a pain as they are assigned to users (would prefer  a pool based on concurrent use).
thats not good.. like you I'd want the pool as we have a high turnover.

Also we haven't been able to include the setup in the install package, but I know we are not on the latest version.
Do you mean a std config across them all?

The Bria licensing model changes for us later this year and we will take a look at web based soft phones to avoid any local installation if it's viable/good.
Interesting. My issue is time is against me

Quote from: noel_w
We are moving to Enterprise Voice with Skype for Business. Total sh!tstorm as far as I am concerned.
I manage our concurrent NEC 8500 pabx and much prefer it but EV does give mobility to work from home with a vpn connection.
Seems to me that EV is out as much as it is working. MS teams is on the agenda as a replacement.
From 1 MS dud to another ;) I feel your pain..

Worse for me being part of a Global company, your stuck with what you can use.. if it works well for head office in France, then GAGF your using it. Like Orange communications.. had a link down for 12 mths last year... and then one went down mth or 2 ago, so its Telstra from street to building, Optus from building to server room, and orange from there to router.... Try dealing with that Shit.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Online gruntle

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »

Do you mean a std config across them all?

Yes can't seem to get the config (server port etc) set in the package as you normally would with other tools. We also haven't got SSO running on this service so its simple enough to hand out instructions to cover config and how to login.

I hope its the version we are running rather than a current limitation.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2020, 06:23:56 AM »
finally had to replace the drive setup in my faithful old file server for home...

i've been using a HP N40L Microserver (running windows 2008 R2), with four 2TB in RAID5 (installed as to maximise space at that time), as my main repository for over 10 years...

the seagate 2TB drives weren't new when i put them in, but finally one of them gave up the ghost...

ended up buying two new WD Red 6TB drives, to run in a mirror config (trying to avoid RAID5 from now on), as a replacement for these drives.

our space requirements have lessened now that we have a plethora of streaming apps at our disposal, so haven't needed to acquire and store as many movies and TV shows, as required...

luckily, i have Bird's old QNAP NAS running as my backup and the transition was painless, apart from the file copy... :)

should give me a few more years of service... i estimate an average up-time over those 10 years as over 95%...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »
Question for those in the know

What backup solutions are you using for business...?
Round 4TB of data across 4 site BNE/PER/MEL/SYD plus several VM's.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home