Author Topic: Satelite communicators  (Read 1857 times)

Offline dnielsen

• Learning the Ropes
Satelite communicators
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:45:19 AM »
Looking at purchasing some type of satellite communicator for when (soon please) lockdowns end and I can travel again. 
Does anyone have any recommendations/preferences?
The ZOLEO Global Satellite Communicator has been suggested as an option.
Thanks in advance
Daryl

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Satelite communicators
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:59:59 AM »
I use the Garmin I reach explorer +. It works well but is in a different price bracket to the Zoleo

Offline swaggie1

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:49:44 PM »
We used a Zoleo in Jul-Aug while travelling around SA, NT and most of the WA coast from the Kimberley to  Esperance.

We opted for the extra tracking option (about $8/month) and selected the 1 hour reporting option (while moving).    The phone app could do with a little polishing in its menu area but in general we were quite pleased with it.

It was straightforward for us to use and the family to communicate with.
We left it powered-on 24/7, sitting on the dash for 2 months getting charged whenever the vehicle was operating.
We had adequate sat signal strength in every place we tried to send a message.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8703F using Tapatalk

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:35:12 PM »
I bought a Thuraya phone 2nd hand. Been using it for 5 years now and very happy with the network all over.
It can be activated as required on a month by month casual plan through Pivotal.

Pivotel
$25 activation
$15 p/month (1 month min no inclusions)
$0.50 SMS
$0.99 p/min outgoing call costs
Cancel anytime at no cost.

Zoleo
$40 activation
$32 p/month (3month min)
25 SMS p/month inc
$0.65 SMS
$6.50 p/month suspension fee

We just message everyone and tell them to call us, their costs are the same as any calling a mobile number in Oz (Anyone on a plan = free). I much prefer talking than messaging the kids. It also allows our aged parents to call us.
We do remote touring by ourselves and the up side of having a phone if ever needed if we get into trouble is of more benefit IMO. Can't imagine trying to sort an emergency via SMS when you need to clarify details etc. If I had to spend 1/2hr on the phone in an emergency it would cost me $29.30. Big deal.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 10:24:58 PM »
Same as glenm64. we use a thuraya, bought new about 4-5 years ago same costs but with Optus. It is dearer with Optus for others to call us so we just tell anyone to send sms and we'll call them when we get reception for mobile unless it's urgent. just send an email to suspend or activate  no fee's and can be suspended indefinitely  with any credit remaining. we also haven't had any issues with the network despite what some people may tell you.
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »
The cheapest option is a second hand Iridium phone (About $800 for a 9555) if you have Telstra post paid with international roaming activated.   There are then no further costs to have it on standby.
Take your SIM out of your Telstra GSM phone and put it in the Iridium.   Calls are about $4 per minute (send & receive) which is expensive compared to proper satellite plans but that's the only ongoing cost.   SMS messages are 45¢ and comparable to the Zoleo's per-message cost.   There are no ongoing plans/fees and no pre-paid satellite SIMS that expire.   My phone lives in the car and I check the battery from time to time.   I've had it for about eight years and have used it on the occasional trip.   I doubt I've spent more than $100 on calls in that time.   That's about $12 per year; cheaper than any plan.   
If I was doing a prolonged trip out of GSM range I might get a casual plan; that's still an option.   For Iridium phones Pivotel's cheapest plan is $50 per month plus $50 activation (so 1 month service then cancel = $100) and 0.99¢ per call.   

See Section 8 on p 22:  https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/mobile-phones/pdf/mobilesat.pdf
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 06:28:52 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »

See Section 8 on p 22:  https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/mobile-phones/pdf/mobilesat.pdf

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/mobile-phones/pdf/mobilesat.pdf
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2