Author Topic: Help finding suitable off road caravan  (Read 16338 times)

Offline 1tuff1hdft

• Sleeping Bag User
Help finding suitable off road caravan
« on: May 28, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »
Hi All

In approximately 2 years time we are planning to take 9-12 months off work and travel parts of Australia. We have a 2006 100 series turbo diesel which i am fitting out as a tourer and capable of towing. My wife and i have 3 year old son and another child due later this year. We plan to travel everywhere from Perth to Brisbane and everything in between and through the middle. We also want a self sufficient setup so that we don’t have to always be staying at caravan parks. The caravan will be used as a base station on the harder areas leaving it to do day trips and maybe the occasional overnighter in a tent but needs to be capable of corrugated roads eg gibb river, great central and cape york development road and other none sealed roads. Defiantly not going to be doing anything as crazy as the Gall boys but don’t want it falling apart on us.

The requirements for the caravan is it needs to have inside toilet and shower double bed plus bunks for the kids. Would prefer a pop top to limit the height but not set on that. An expander typed van is also a possibility but beds need to be comfortable. I’m not worried about if it has solar/batteries, awnings, water capacity ect as i can easily do all that myself but we cant spend any more than 50k.

One of the options was to look at a cheaper Jayco outback stirling or expanda and spend a bit on replacing the suspension with something decent to handle the corrugations ect but would prefer something built a little more Off road capable.
We’ve found a couple with layouts that don’t look too bad but not sure how strong the vans are built and how Offroad capable they really are.

Anyone got any info on build quality and capability of the following caravans?
Windsor Genesis and Rapid
Supreme Spirit, getaway and territory
Galaxy Odyssey
Creative Trackvan 

Or should we be sticking to the serious off roaders like Kedrons, bushtracker and spinafex which are really out of our price range?

Any thoughts, feedback and info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brendan
2006 100 Series Turbo diesel Sahara

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Help finding suitable off road caravan
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »
What about Trackmaster. ?
http://www.trakmaster.com.au/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:38:11 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »
Check goldstream out as well as JB caravans both make a offroader and dirt roader option.

My personal opinion is that you will always be limited by size so bushmaster and kedron are overkill when you look at the actual amount of off road that will occur
I Drink & I Know Things

Marschy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
Hello Brendan,

Nova do a 'dirtroad' (Simplicity) suspension upgrade, which from the reviews I have read hold up pretty well on corrugated roads. I'm picking up a second hand 2010 model this Friday, the Nova Vita (18679-1 model) with 'dirtroad' upgrade. They also increase the clearance by swapping out the 4 inch drawbar for a 6 inch drawbar, replace the 14 inch rims and LT tyres with 16 inch rims and Goodyear off-road tyres.

More offroad capable vans rake the underside of the van from the axle back to provide extra clearance. Unless it is purpose made for off-road, most van manufacturers seem to offer 'offroad' upgrades to the black top models, which is typically a bit of aluminum checker plate added for stone protection along the sides and the front if it isn't already there, and beefing up the undercarriage. Watch a few videos on youtube to see what I mean about the rake added to the rear of more offroad capable vans.

Bear in mind that an offroad upgrade can add a significant amount of weight to the tare. In our case 200kg, but this was offset with an additional 100kg added to the ATM.

We also looked at pop-tops, but when it dawned on us that the vast majority of them will still not fit under our 2100mm carport door and we would have to store the van regardless of whether it was a pop-top or a hard top, we decided to get a hardtop.

There are some great bargains on the second hand market at the moment. It seems that $40K is around the magic number for 18-21 foot vans upto 5 years old.

We pick up our van this Friday from Choice Caravans here in Adelaide who are also the distributors in SA for JB vans (Vic manufacturer). These vans looked pretty good as well, and most appeared to have very good clearance and offroad (dirtroad) upgrade options.

Good luck with your search.

Regards, Marschy

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:32:44 PM by Marschy »

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
You would be getting close to the price for some of the earlier Bushtrackers

I have seen a couple advertised in the $50's might just need to bargain hard!

If it is a van with the 'extras' like solar etc then maybe your budget can stretch. Don't underestimate the costs of all the additions.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Marschy

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »
Hello Brendan,

We found the difference in re-sale value with Jayco's, although better than other Australian made vans was offset to a large degree by the quality of the cupboards and fittings. If you have a look at Nova, Island Star, Kingdom vans, you will quickly see what I am talking about.

In particular, real timber, not laminates used on cupboard doors, one piece fibreglass shower enclosures as opposed to multi panel shower enclosures (Jayco/Avan and others)

So what I am trying to say here is, brands other than Jayco do tend to depreciate quicker than Jayco, but for someone looking for vans on the second hand market other than Jayco, this is a huge plus because in our case, the difference in price between our 4 year old van and a new one was +$30K.

We found looking at second hand vans an eye opener insomuch that some brands looked quite dated and did not age well after 5 years. So whether you are in the market for a new van or an old van, a walk through the second hand lot gives you a great insight into what a new van by any manufacturer will look like 5 years down the track.

Hope this helps your decision.

Cheers, Marschy

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
I have a Windsor rapid 472s (toilet shower poptop)
I bought new and got some additional upgrades done to the suspension/ undercarriage (shocks and chassis raiser/ strengthen) also GVM upgrade

Our only problem has been the kids are outgrowing the double bed (boy and girl 12 and 9) I reckon I have around 1 year left of use, before the boy gets a swag and has to sleep outside.

we have had the Windsor for around 4 years and has been to Fraser and Moreton Islands as well as the darling river run and over to SW WA totalling around 40,000kms

Is capable of doing these sorts of roads, but a bit of prep is required, lots of small upgrades have also been done like automotive seals on the bed ends

'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
Where are you located. The Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show is on soon, June 4-10.

Offline bodgie

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »
For an extended trip you'd probably be better to look at a full caravan rather than a pop top or expander IMO. A fully insulated van should be drier, cooler and warmer and more secure.

Depending on your budget or f you are looking at a second hand van another option to consider is the Phoenix off road vans. They are more common in Qld though.

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
Have a look at
 http://www.evernewcaravans.com.au/
Mate has one (secondhand) an is presently over in the Kimberly on 12months olyday,
his traveled heaps over the years and speaks highly of his.   

Offline 1tuff1hdft

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »
I have started to look at the full size caravans and Bushtrackers around 50-55k.

Does anyone know what the Supreme caravans are like? Would they be ok off road eg Gibb river and other rough corrugated roads? We really like this layout - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coolup/caravan/supreme-spirit-limited-edition-series-2-family-van/1053622977

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:10:08 PM »
Or should we be sticking to the serious off roaders like Kedrons, bushtracker and spinafex which are really out of our price range?

Any thoughts, feedback and info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brendan

G'day,

Though not connected to them, I'm a great fan of the Australian OffRoad products.  Mrs B & I have a 5 year old Quantum. Going by on-line ads/sales, we'd probably get close to our purchase price back if we sold now.

The Q is a pop top. Has shower, toilet, solar, gas HWS, optional diesel heater, and I know of at least one with bunks for the kids, located just north of Perth (pm Captain).  AOR have recently released the Aurora, a dual axle van, that is not as wide as "normal" full sized vans.

If you're able to get to their facility in Caloundra you'll find Steve & Rhonda most helpful, and their after sales service has in our experience been second to none.

www.australianoffroad.com.au
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:23:57 PM by BTMNDR »
Former TOPNDR.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:28 AM »
Check goldstream out as well as JB caravans both make a offroader and dirt roader option.

My personal opinion is that you will always be limited by size so bushmaster and kedron are overkill when you look at the actual amount of off road that will occur

Good advice about the van size in my opinion. Also agree with checking out the goldstream vans. We are on our 3rd and found them all to have been well built.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 07:31:11 AM »
G'day,

Though not connected to them, I'm a great fan of the Australian OffRoad products.  Mrs B & I have a 5 year old Quantum. Going by on-line ads/sales, we'd probably get close to our purchase price back if we sold now.

The Q is a pop top. Has shower, toilet, solar, gas HWS, optional diesel heater, and I know of at least one with bunks for the kids, located just north of Perth (pm Captain).  AOR have recently released the Aurora, a dual axle van, that is not as wide as "normal" full sized vans.

If you're able to get to their facility in Caloundra you'll find Steve & Rhonda most helpful, and their after sales service has in our experience been second to none.

www.australianoffroad.com.au

Yeah but they're way out of his price range! I've been looking to replace our AOR Odyssey with a van and you just can't find an AOR for less than $70k!

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:28 AM »
Friends have a new Jayco 19'6" Starcraft Outback and did the Gulf and into Lorella Springs late in April this year and had no problems with the van. Cost new $50K and this model now has the independent suspension.
Have known of a couple of Jayco Outbacks same as ours that have done the Tanami and GGR, that have the left spring set up.
Our 2011 Jayco 17.55 Sterling Outback is probably worth $40K, has extra battery, two 140 watt solar panels, we are thinking about putting Cruise Master independent air suspension on it, cost around $8K.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:40:01 AM by Isuzumu »
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline Memem284

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
Have a look at the Kokoda vans. Seem well priced for the product

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Yeah but they're way out of his price range! I've been looking to replace our AOR Odyssey with a van and you just can't find an AOR for less than $70k!

I know BUT Brendan asked if he should be sticking with ....

Now I've not owned anything but a Kimberley Kamper & the Quantum but doubt that after 5 years and 60,000+ km they'd still sell for their original sale price. Particularly after Mitchell Falls, GRR, Bungles etc.etc.etc.

I'm not suggesting Brendan blow his budget, just answering the question as asked.
Former TOPNDR.

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
Check out River caravans.  No nonsense heavy duty design, G&S chassis, control rider suspension, strong internal fittings and comfortable interior.  They are quite flexible with options and their prices are very reasonable compared to others on the market.

Our is their Eliminator single axel 17' model. Very happy with it.

They have a few dealers around the country and they use industry standard kit so servicing is not an issue.

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline 1tuff1hdft

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:41:23 AM »
Friends have a new Jayco 19'6" Starcraft Outback and did the Gulf and into Lorella Springs late in April this year and had no problems with the van. Cost new $50K and this model now has the independent suspension.
Have known of a couple of Jayco Outbacks same as ours that have done the Tanami and GGR, that have the left spring set up.
Our 2011 Jayco 17.55 Sterling Outback is probably worth $40K, has extra battery, two 140 watt solar panels, we are thinking about putting Cruise Master independent air suspension on it, cost around $8K.

We really like the 17.55-5SH layout and had thought about buying one and spending 10-15k on making it more capable.

Isuzumu can you please let me know how you go with the air suspension?

All the second hand ones didn't seem to have the longer draw bar, larger 12/240v fridge, delete microwave and full size stove/oven. I would also need to add a dual wheel carrier on the back. not sure if its going to be worth making all these changes to a second hand one or buying new with changes made.

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
We really like the 17.55-5SH layout and had thought about buying one and spending 10-15k on making it more capable.

Modified suspension isnt all that goes into the higher end offroad caravans, so unless you plan on removing all the cabinets etc & redoing for 15k then your not comparing apples with apples.

That being said ive seen plenty of Jayco's in all the same places ive taken my full offroad caravan.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »
Modified suspension isnt all that goes into the higher end offroad caravans, so unless you plan on removing all the cabinets etc & redoing for 15k then your not comparing apples with apples.

That being said ive seen plenty of Jayco's in all the same places ive taken my full offroad caravan.
so your upgrading the trackmaster to a jayco are ya dan?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
I have an Expanda OB and we are extremely happy with it and it has handled everything we have asked if it..

Here is another option though http://zonerv.com.au/
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline Footloose

• Tent User
  • Bush or Beach what a choice
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:44 PM »
I have just ordered a new Jayco Journey 17.55-8 Outback and will pick it up in four weeks.
As you know the new model has the Jayco independant suspension and my brother has
taken his on a few dirt roads already and it has towed and handled really well.I believe
if you drive to the conditions they will handle most conditions pretty well.My van came in well under 50k and i have a number of extras.I am going to buy or make a stone guard and
will look to make up some covers to keep dust out.I am happy to give some feedback after
our holiday to Tassie.

Cheers Footloose
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:21:35 PM by Footloose »
2013 Isuzu DMax LSM
2014 Jayco Journey Outback pop-top
17.55 ready to tour

Offline Jasman

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »
I'm a fan of the Jayco Expanda 17.56-2, it's the best layout I've seen for a family of four (or six) I reckon.

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 10:50:09 PM »
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10099.0

Here is a thread about our Expanda, its done its fair share if trips including the Ood track etc and the dirt way from Winton to Broken Hill.
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA