Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1755017 times)

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #2875 on: May 20, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »
Nice work

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2876 on: May 21, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
Step 1 - Remove the old bits.

I've just started the process of extending the drawbar, plus a couple of design tweak's do be done at the same time. Ill be swapping the Treg for a DO35, changing the handbrake to a better one, putting twin 4.5gk gas bottle holders on the nose in a purpose made box, adding a stronger bash plate, and an ATM upgrade. Cant claim any credit for the work as I'm getting a local custom trailer builder to do the work, but I'll have a lot of input during the project.

Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2877 on: May 21, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »

2 enthusiastic thumbs up!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Offline moose2367

• Tent User
« Reply #2878 on: May 21, 2016, 05:54:45 PM »
Finally wired up the electric brakes, break away system, reverse lights and sorted a couple of little gremlins on my flat top trailer.  Just got to add mudflaps and sort out where the number plate lights need to go. 

Took it for a test drive, first time using electric brakes, using a Redarc Tow Pro elite.  Very impressed, can hardly feel the 1.5-2T when braking now.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #2879 on: May 22, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
I've been playing with new style meccano and built ( assembled !! ) one of these - http://www.carlex.com.au/contents/en-us/d2.html

I have a need every now and then for a smallish 6x4 trailer but don't have anywhere to keep it safe from marauding boganeers !! So thought I'd

try this - Tip run today and it went really well .. An easy build with excellent aftersales help -- Happy customer ..

Cheers

Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2880 on: May 22, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
Bought a new log splitter and decided to make an over swing protector for the handle using 2mm plate. For a first attempt it turned out ok, happy so far  :cup:     It was a three beer job  :cheers:  ;D
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline tourer77

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Just get out and do it
« Reply #2881 on: May 22, 2016, 06:59:14 PM »
Spent a bit of time getting to know the water system on the new 2nd hand CT.  Tried filling the tank and was way too slow, ended up finding a kink in the breather hose, easy fix.

Next tried to fire up the water pump, went through 3 fuses before deciding it wasn't gonna go just by using a bigger fuse :)

Took it apart and found the bearing had seized, gave it a stern talking to (big shifter) and it spun around.  Sounded a bit hoarse but threw it back together and working a charm ..... so far.  Not going to trust it and have ordered a backup.

Took the opportunity while pump was working to give the hot water/shower unit a run and we have a winner.

CT shakedown continues in anticipation of the Prado arriving next week  :cheers:
Prado 2.8L GXL
Customline Off-Road Walkup

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2882 on: May 22, 2016, 09:30:50 PM »
Decided to clean up the shed from our recent house remodel.
Finished that up and then decided to gather all my 12v electrical bits and put them into one box.
Got through 1/2 of the shed and filled 1- 40 litre box and 1/2 of another.
With 1/2 of my shed left to go through I better pick up another couple boxes at work tomorrow.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown
The following users thanked this post: pank

Offline tombie

• Tent User
« Reply #2883 on: May 22, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »
Added body armour and rods to the Disco.

Nice.

Apt sliders
Compressor guard

Who made the transmission plate?

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2884 on: May 23, 2016, 07:36:49 AM »
I have a need every now and then for a smallish 6x4 trailer but don't have anywhere to keep it safe from marauding boganeers !! So thought I'd try this - Tip run today and it went really well .. An easy build with excellent aftersales help

They look interesting, Mandrake

Which one did you get?
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2885 on: May 23, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »
They look interesting, Mandrake

Which one did you get?
Got the one with solid side panels..haven't fitted the panels yet .. Still not decided on that .

Bought a new log splitter and decided to make an over swing protector for the handle using 2mm plate. For a first attempt it turned out ok, happy so far  :cup:     It was a three beer job  :cheers:  ;D

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2886 on: May 23, 2016, 07:53:59 AM »
Unfortunately nothing too quick as much as I would love to slot a small block into it. Just a warm grey motor but with a traumatic conversion. All kept on the column. Hopefully get some more shed time this weekend. Finish off a few little welds and make a start on making a new spare wheel well. See how the weekend unfolds.

Will be a great combo.  :cup:
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
« Reply #2887 on: May 25, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
Started a new project. Building a 1220mm wide pan Brake bender with a removable top blade edge and base plate, which will allow  a radius of up to 10mm to be bent as well as plain 90 deg bends.
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2888 on: May 29, 2016, 04:54:01 AM »
A bit quiet at work tonight, so I knocked up some ALKO 'bigfoot' replacements
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2889 on: May 29, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
I picked up a1/2 hp bench drill for $60, and despite its looks, it is a great machine. No play in the spindle. Also shouted myself a new Abbot & Ashby bench grinder with linisher.
Cheers Mike.

2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #2890 on: May 30, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
I picked up a1/2 hp bench drill for $60, and despite its looks, it is a great machine. No play in the spindle. Also shouted myself a new Abbot & Ashby bench grinder with linisher.
Cheers Mike.

Has that got a little laser pointer for lining up your drill mark? I picked up a similar one in good knick for $20.00 from a garage sale..  :cheers:
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2891 on: May 31, 2016, 03:30:51 AM »
Has that got a little laser pointer for lining up your drill mark? I picked up a similar one in good knick for $20.00 from a garage sale..  :cheers:
Negative. It's an oldie. Don't need lasers when you have a centre punch.
Cheers. Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #2892 on: May 31, 2016, 09:36:12 AM »
Negative. It's an oldie. Don't need lasers when you have a centre punch.
Cheers. Mike.

Yeah, you still centre pop your marks for drilling, but the laser just makes it quicker to line them up, when you are drilling a few holes at a time. Just slide you metal and clamp it so the laser is pointing at the centre pop. Quick and easy  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline fergy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2893 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:50 AM »
if you have a big enough laser you don't even need a drill
1996 Suzuki Sierra    2008 jayco hawk now gone 1978 millard pop top
Iveco daily 4x4
WR450F

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #2894 on: June 01, 2016, 08:47:41 AM »
Pulled the gearbox out of our MX5, to replace the throwout bearing, clutch friction and pressure plate, and the pilot bearing. The throwout was making awful noises all of a sudden, so logic says to replace the lot while the 'box is out. ;D

Edit: Forgot the most important thing, the photo!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:18:39 AM by bmwfreak »
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2895 on: June 02, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
made up a small battery box (24ah yuasa battery) to power the fridge (waeco cfx50) when we are out and about, but a longer distance from the ute...

initial testing shows me that i could easily run the fridge for 12 hours (with multiple openings of the lid)...

box has an anderson plug on the side, plus usb ports (controlled by the switch, so the usb led doesn't slow-drain the battery)

switch on and usb ports visible

box open with foam covering the fiddly bits

these toolpro boxes from supercheap are excellent value.  this is the one i used:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/ToolPro-Safe-Case-260-x-245-x-175mm.aspx?pid=326042#Recommendations

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2896 on: June 02, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
made up a small battery box (24ah yuasa battery) to power the fridge (waeco cfx50) when we are out and about, but a longer distance from the ute...

initial testing shows me that i could easily run the fridge for 12 hours (with multiple openings of the lid)...

box has an anderson plug on the side, plus usb ports (controlled by the switch, so the usb led doesn't slow-drain the battery)

switch on and usb ports visible

box open with foam covering the fiddly bits

these toolpro boxes from supercheap are excellent value.  this is the one i used:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/ToolPro-Safe-Case-260-x-245-x-175mm.aspx?pid=326042#Recommendations

You sure about that 12 hours bit ? My fridge runs at 3.9 amps.which would flatten that battery in 2-3 hours.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2897 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »
You sure about that 12 hours bit ? My fridge runs at 3.9 amps.which would flatten that battery in 2-3 hours.

well, i pre-cooled the fridge to -1 using 240v (which i would do if we went out), put three water bottles in it and plugged the 12v in at 3pm with the battery full charged (12.8v) and opened it every half an hour for approx. 60 seconds until i went to bed at 10pm. 

woke up the next morning and the voltage was at 12.2v

i was using a wattmeter (same model as the one jetcrew sells) plugged in between the battery and fridge to get my readings...  also confirmed readings with multimeter...

the compressor cycled on and off (indicated by LED on fridge and you can hear it) and when cycling on, the amps travelling through the wattmeter was around 4.8 amps...

not sure what else i could have done?  i thought having less in the fridge was a better way to test because it would mean more air to keep cool for the fridge?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:44:28 PM by paceman »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2898 on: June 02, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
well, i pre-cooled the fridge to -1 using 240v (which i would do if we went out), put three water bottles in it and plugged the 12v in at 3pm with the battery full charged (12.8v) and opened it every half an hour for approx. 60 seconds until i went to bed at 10pm. 

woke up the next morning and the voltage was at 12.2v

i was using a wattmeter (same model as the one jetcrew sells) plugged in between the battery and fridge to get my readings...  also confirmed readings with multimeter...

the compressor cycled on and off (indicated by LED on fridge and you can hear it) and when cycling on, the amps travelling through the wattmeter was around 4.8 amps...

not sure what else i could have done?  i thought having less in the fridge was a better way to test because it would mean more air to keep cool for the fridge?
Can't do much better than that  :cup: - Won't be quite as good in the heat of summer but figures for now are OK... Cheers Mandrake

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2899 on: June 02, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
Can't do much better than that  :cup: - Won't be quite as good in the heat of summer but figures for now are OK... Cheers Mandrake

i figure a four or five hour stint will be more the norm anyways, so it should easily cover that... :)