Author Topic: KK Service Centre alternatives  (Read 2966 times)

Offline vdb

• Learning the Ropes
KK Service Centre alternatives
« on: October 26, 2016, 08:29:29 PM »
Hi all. I am new to the forum. Clearly lots of interesting and helpful material here to peruse in front of TV of an evening.
After 2 years with a soft floor camper including 6 months around the country, we decided to get a hard floor and bought a 2003 Kimberley Kamper Classic for what I think was a fair price. It has had a lot of use but canvas and kitchen all still in good condition. I am not mechanically capable and decided to get it checked over at Vic Camper Trailers. Brakes and bearings needed a major overhaul. I was shocked at the final bill and disappointed in the information provided before I authorised the work. Rather not give more details.
It is possible that I am out of touch with the cost of having such mechanical work done and that it would have cost much the same anywhere. Or is it just another significant premium one pays for owning a CT in the high price range?
So my question is - is there anything so proprietary about KK suspension and brakes that would prevent me from getting this sort of work done by a general but reputable trailer service centre  for a more reasonable price ? If you can recommend anywhere in Melbourne, I would be grateful.
Thanks. Frank.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: KK Service Centre alternatives
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:56:46 PM »
I don't come from Mexico, but no, there is nothing special at all about KK suspension or brakes...especially a 2003 model.

Someone on here will be able to recommend a good ( and cheapish ) place around Melbourne.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
Where in Melbourne are you?

I hear very good things about Melbourne Camper Trailers, who are also in Pakenham - Kelly spent at least an hour on the phone talking about the Customline we bought recently, as she knew its' history, but didn't know me from Adam.  That being said, if we need ours to go to a service agent, I'll be giving Kelly our business :)

I've been under a few KK's, and there's nothing special about them - it's just a trailing arm suspension with a single twin-tube shock and bump stops.
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline bellony

• Swag User
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 01:21:02 AM »
Nothing special about KK bearings and brakes. We have a 2004 model with independent suspension and disc brakes. Quality Koyo jap made bearings and seals can be found for under $100 a set. Brakes are from a Commodore I think from memory.
2006 HDJ100R VX
2005 R51 Pathfinder
2004 KK Limited Ed
The following users thanked this post: Malcur

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 05:29:12 AM »
Your local mechanic is usually cheaper than any 'trailer service centre'.

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
If your unit is running the same bearing set as the later units and the Karavans, your looking at at $80 each inner bearing. They are 80mm in diameter and have a decent tonnage rating.
Regards
Angus.
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline bellony

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 11:57:21 PM »
Anyone looking for a great price on quality bearings for what are commonly referred to a 2tonne axles.
Pretty sure these will fit all the KKs with Independent suspension and are genuine Koyo just like the factory use:
http://shop.trailerparts.net.au:8093/Product/Details/H0816 for $38.61 per side. (part numbers are listed on the link)
They do not fit live axle KKs, they have smaller bearings.
2006 HDJ100R VX
2005 R51 Pathfinder
2004 KK Limited Ed

Offline vdb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:37:24 PM »
Thanks all for your replies. Message is clear.
Frank

Offline Never enough time

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »
VDB
Give me a yell if you need the bearing specs for a 2003KK, I have the owners manual, but it's in our KK about 10km from home.
Nothing special as stated above if you just need a new set of bearings and pads. KK original parts are good, but generic.

Mark
Vehicles; Presently Prado 2021, previously three Pajeros
Camper; Complete Campsite Exodus 13 (2011 build), previously Kimberly Kamper and prior to that Soft Floor 16ft

Offline vdb

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
Thanks Mark for your offer to help. I have just had all this work done on bearing and brakes replacement at significant cost so it shouldn't need attention for a while. However, when I bought this trailer, I didn't get a manual with it. If you don't mind me asking, do you live in melb and if so, is there any chance I could  drop by and photograph the pages?? Regards. frank. 0405 132 159