Author Topic: Cub Camper in Strong Winds. Help!!!!!!  (Read 15229 times)

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
Re: Cub Camper in Strong Winds. Help!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »
This could be where you went wrong. By not being able to measure the distance the dogs travelled in the wind, you were unable to determine the length of pegs required to secure the Cub.

In the back of your handbook you will see the formula:

L = (M x D)/S where L = peg length, M = dog mass, D = distance travelled by the dog and S = number of Slabs on the floor of the Cub.

Cheers,

Rohan. :cheers:

Is that equation in imperial or metric units?  Makes a significant difference whether the dog mass is measured in kg or slugs.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
Zedd Can you post up pics of the drama  ???
l always remember what an old tramp steamer Capt told once on the subject of Sail Power . He said that  " A good screw beats a blow job any day "  ;D ;D ;D                   :cheers:     
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
We had our Drover (now departed) out in horrendous wind last year on the way back from Central Aus.  For the trip we had tied the awning roof up onto the roof of the camper, it flapped around alot(and I mean a lot), but the next day when we got up (still windy), all was ok, no rips, no bend poles etc.  I must say, we expected issues, but as a testament to the CUB, it held up really well.
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline CampAround

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The count down is on...
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Good luck with it Zedd, Been in a few high winds during storms [ on the beach ] and had to quickly belt in 500mm pegs and run extra ropes to anchor the trailer in the pouring rain inthe  early hours ..
As to your guy rope set ups on the Awning, if they have springs on them can I suggest ditching them . and fit a rubber  O'ring type of bungy . reason being in high wind the springs will pull up till they go solid and it can either help pull the pegs out of the ground or tear or break / bend something else ..
Ive used  O'rings for 10 years without a breakage,  they allow the wind to move things around without damaging thingsbecause of the " give "in them . My dad used to use car tyre inner tubes cut into bands on our caravan annex back in the sixties to eighties and with stood many a bad storm other annexes didnt .
You should be able to get them from  a place that has concrete pipes plumbing supplies or fleabay  for about $2 ea [  O- ring pipe seals ]  .. aprox 150mm diameter and 12 mm thick.

Been trying to find these on fleabay with no luck. Any one know where I can find them online?

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
Just buy some shock cord and make your own. 5m for $6.50, anywhere

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
G,Day Campa...
Mate irrigation places or pipe suppliers  that carry concrete storm water pipe in that 150mm [ 6" ] size [ cheapest option ] are the ones in the pics , Other options are Blackwoods,  Enzed , seen them on ebay before, alibarba .
Metal Baeur fittings rubber O - rings might be a couple of mm thinner and might be dearer  [ not sure ] but are available in that 150mm [ 6" ] size..
13" or 14 " car tire inner tube cut into 50mm wide bands work just aswell too, though not as tidy to look at. :cheers:
If you look real close [ windows media zoom ] next to the red fuel tank you will see an inner tube band on the annex rope ... And yes thats a scrawny little O'l me ..circa 1970 at Etty Bay out from Innisfail .
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:12:35 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »
Hi,

We have just cut short our first trip in our new Cub Camper - Spacematic Drover Off Road. We enjoyed 5 lovely days there, but today had a horrible ....

We got very strong winds so we pegged down the annex walls. Tightened the guy ropes. Placed heavy bags on the inside flaps of the walls to stop the wind coming in. To no avail. The wind got stronger the pegs pulled out. The wind got in and the Velcro on the spreaders separated and the whole annex collapsed. To make it worse the whole trailer lifted and rocked.

Hi,

The ropes and pegs Cub Campers supply are not suitable for strong wind conditions.

This is is what I put together over the years for camping with my Cub Escape Off Road camper, I have camped successfully in some strong winds.

I replaced all my ropes with good quality 8mm rope (lime green rope to match my cub escape) and used the yellow plastic Supa-peg rope runners and strong guy rope springs (the string adds some give in the guy rope and will work better in strong wind then a guy rope with no give.).
http://www.supapeg.com.au/store.php?cPath=27_45

I purchased  16 x 300mm steel pegs, 16 x 380mm steel pegs, 16 x 380mm sand pegs, 16x 230mm plastic pegs (annex walls) now depending on how hard the ground is and the wind strength, I have pegs to suit most conditions. The 230mm plastic pegs hold the tent walls down better than the 230mm steel pegs.

I also carry a good quality 16 ft x 24 ft silver/green tarp to put over the Camper and annex,  If there is strong winds then I have 22 tie down points to keep the camper in place, also keeps the water out if raining and can be lifted above the canvas with 6 extra poles I carry to help keep the camper cooler on hot days. I bought the tarp originally to protect the cub canvas from bird dropping and tree gum droppings etc, lot easier to clean than canvas.

Below is a picture of my Cub Escape setup on the Fraser Island beach front when there was strong winds every day. the picture shows the tarp set above the canvas to  allow a air space, in strong winds I pull the tarp down on to the camper and annex roofs and put a guy rope on every D ring on the tarp.

HTH

Ray

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:08:59 PM by sablesoft »
Green Cub Escape Off Road