Author Topic: Lighting Dilema  (Read 2720 times)

Offline yumpet

• Sleeping Bag User
Lighting Dilema
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »
Hey guys, for years i have been running my Narva 225 halogen driving lights, now i like the light output BUT i cant keep the damn things pointing straight, im either looking at the tree tops or the road 2m in front of the car. We just went to the Dubbo 4wd and camping show and i bought a 12 x 10w LED light bar, now i figure my options are put the Narva lights back on and bolt the light bar to the top of the bullbar OR get rid of the driving lights altogether and put the light bar in its place, i don't do i ridiculous amount of night driving but when i do its mostly in hilly country (to and from work) but in saying that we are starting to do some touring, done a trip to the corner and planning one to Uluru next year.

I need opinions, im not sure what to do guys

help.......
04 Patrol dragging a lifestyle platinum on coils

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Lighting Dilema
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
I had a set of these lights but in the HID.
I really liked the light output but hated the fact that they would not stay pointing in the right place.
The first set was replaced under warranty for this very reason. The second set had a bit different locking setup and were definitely better than the original.
We did a trip on a couple of very corrugated roads and the 2nd set self destructed. The roads were extremely corrugated at the time (Gibb River Road, Kalumburu Rd & Cape Leveque Rd).
On our return I took them back and had them replaced again but this time with Hella 4000 Compacts.
Problem solved.
The vibe I got from the Narva rep was that their lights did have some issues, especially when driven on corrugations.
Narva were very helpful at trying to rectify the problem.

:cheers:
Glenn

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
Why not fit up a decent mount system [ turn buckles from the lights body work to a brace to adjust / steady them ] similar to what the rallye car blokes use.. if your happy with what you have ..
If you didnt have spotties then I'd be looking at a light bar, After seeing a light bar in use for the first time in the flesh  recently, I must say they do throw a large amount of light and quite a distance too, with out the shaking that some single spotties get .. personaly Im thinking a decent single light bar on the bullbar would be ample for most night drives ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
If the led bar is a combo , flood and spot, you will find you won't probably wont need the driving lights.

Try the bar by itself first as you will be surprised how good they are.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
Lighting Dilema
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

If the led bar is a combo , flood and spot, you will find you won't probably wont need the driving lights.

Try the bar by itself first as you will be surprised how good they are.

Mark

X2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor

Offline yumpet

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
Yeah im thinking i should just try it, ill give it a go and if i dont like it i might get the HID ugrade for my old IPF 900s

cheers
04 Patrol dragging a lifestyle platinum on coils

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
Lighting Dilema
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
What brand led light bar is it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan