Author Topic: TopTrail campers  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Ywork

• Learning the Ropes
TopTrail campers
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
Anyone here know much about the Toptrail outback deluxe camper trailer? They look quite good value for money.
cheers

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
Re: TopTrail campers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
HI Ywork

They seem to be very similar if not exactly the same as many of the other chinese import trailers that are on the market.

What do you intend on doing with it will probably determine whether its good value. 

You couldnt build one for that kind of money.  If your camping was national parks, caravan parks and the like and you dont mind budget quality then it would be fine.

The cape and beyond probably not.   :D

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
WE have an Ezytrail - virtually identical, theyve been assembling/building them in Melb for 5 or 6 years now.  Presume they have an affiliate up there, as the logo looks similar. Some minor differences in the trailer, not much.

We've had ours for 12 months and 7500km of highway and dirt road use.  Ok so far, but also, we dont want to do the canning stock route.  You do get a lot for the $ tho.

Bear in mind that these have a very big tent 18ft.   If you want to do short stays, look for something with say a 12ft tent.  If you have kids, plenty of room in the main tent for all to sleep without putting up the annex/walls.  If you are into travel then prop for 3 or 4 days plus (like us) they are good.

Oh, and we paid about 2k less than the discount price theyre asking up there.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:11:29 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Ywork

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
thanks for the info,I have done some homework and been looking at many diffrent trailer makes.I just want a good trailer for some beach work on Fraser's and the odd camping trip inland.Nothing too extreme.I have seen allot of reports on the Chinese imports and many are concerned that they don't have the same quality finish as the locally made trailers.My big concern is the canvas and how it holds up in bad weather.Nothing worse than a we bed,of the tent is not all that good.

So for the price the Toptrail camper looks good,will just have to look at waterproofing the canvas properly.

thanks for the advice.
cheers

Offline kiwipride

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »
thanks for the info,I have done some homework and been looking at many diffrent trailer makes.I just want a good trailer for some beach work on Fraser's and the odd camping trip inland.Nothing too extreme.I have seen allot of reports on the Chinese imports and many are concerned that they don't have the same quality finish as the locally made trailers.My big concern is the canvas and how it holds up in bad weather.Nothing worse than a we bed,of the tent is not all that good.

So for the price the Toptrail camper looks good,will just have to look at waterproofing the canvas properly.

thanks for the advice.
cheers

Hi
Did you end up buying the camper?
My plan is to live forever......so far, so good!

Offline grmas1

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
Rather than repost the same question on a new topic, are their any bad experiences with this brand? Like previously asked we too wont be going any where too extreme, National parks and Caravan parks for the most part as the car is only a Land Rover Freelander 2.

Looking at one sub 5K.
Grant

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Mars Camper Surveyor

Offline Liege

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »
I took my toptrail Hardfloor to Cape York. Admiteddly I replaced all the shocks and coils with more appropiate ones and put 32" muddies underneath it.... No worries.

Mine saw 4 years of heavy usage, at least 8 weekends a year sometimes longer than a weekend, just about all of it in bush camps.

If you don't need top quality finishes and are planning on NP and caravan Parks, I would recommend one. Mine definately had faults but for the price....
2013 Landrover Defender 110
2005 Goldstream Crown offroad

Gunbarrel Hway - 2010        Gibb River Rd - 2010        CSR - 2013        Cape York - 2014        Simpson Desert - 2017        Simpson, Tanami, Gibb - 2018
The following users thanked this post: grmas1