Author Topic: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.  (Read 302706 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:46:30 AM »
Short, informative  and honest statements about the virus.

If everyone took notice of this we should all do well.

https://youtu.be/vpALWJBQq2M

Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: paceman, Chappie

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: How to cope with the corona virus ..facts- not fiction.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 08:23:08 AM »
Thank you biggish. That is very informative. It would be nice if they could splash that across the media instead of the Clive Dunn style Shite they're throwing out there.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 08:36:03 AM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:45:12 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
Short, informative  and honest statements about the virus.

If everyone took notice of this we should all do well.

https://youtu.be/vpALWJBQq2M

So all the same symptoms of the flu, with the same at risk people needing to seek attention etc, transmission appears to be the same as the flu, so can someone please explain to me why are we shutting everything down and stuffing the economy.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »
So all the same symptoms of the flu, with the same at risk people needing to seek attention etc, transmission appears to be the same as the flu, so can someone please explain to me why are we shutting everything down and stuffing the economy.
]

Probably because we have a vaccine to help stop the flu affecting many people.  This one has no vaccine so there is no way of helping you from getting it.... ???
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 10:33:43 AM »

To reduce the rate of infection so that hospitals and other health professionals dont get over run by mass cases involving older and the chronically challenged  at one time.  Smoothing the incidence rate.  The hospital system in Italy is on the verge of breaking down.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/doctor-warns-of-tough-decisions-about-access-to-care-in-a-pandemic-20200312-p549b3.html

A recent post from FB.

I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.

Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:38:48 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 10:37:58 AM »
He certainly didn't say that Pottsy.COVID 19 is more infective and has a case fatality rate between 10x the flu on the low side (South Korea)  and 50x on the high side (Italy). If everyone gets it in a rush, the health system will collapse similar to Wuhan and Italy.If you can slow its progress with good hygiene and social isolation to reduce the rate of transmission, then you buy time for the health system to cope. It appears mainly the elderly are adversely affected but in Italy, the median age of patients requiring ventilation is 65, with the youngest being 20 years old. Obviously those with compromised immune systems such as cancer patients etc will also be greatly affected. Approximately 10% of those tested in China and Italy have required hospitalisation for intubation or oxygen therapy. Health systems across the world simply do not have enough capacity (beds, staff, ventilation equipment) to deal with an influx of that many patients at once. So all the efforts are designed to delay the transmission, we won't stop it. A side effect that isn't being well understood is that if all the critical care beds are taken then there is no capacity to deal with normal patients who run into trouble and may need time in ICU. So we end up with more people dying unnecessarily. Here is a good article explaining the transmission issues health services face.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

This will all take time. Its been in China for three months now. We are just at the start. The economic issues come to us by our global integration. The three main regional engines of growth and prosperity are all going to be adversely affected, Asia, USA and Europe.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:40:42 AM by plusnq »

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 02:21:10 PM »
The company I work for is having a "trial" work from home day on Monday in preparedness......................as I'm living in Brisbane and working in Perth, I don't have internet in the apartment and as a contractor, I won't get paid. I'm overtiming it this weekend.

Be an interesting scenario if it comes to fruition as the majority of people here are contractors and 2-3 weeks without income is going to hurt and hurt many!
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 02:40:58 PM »
The company I work for is having a "trial" work from home day on Monday in preparedness......................as I'm living in Brisbane and working in Perth, I don't have internet in the apartment and as a contractor, I won't get paid. I'm overtiming it this weekend.

Be an interesting scenario if it comes to fruition as the majority of people here are contractors and 2-3 weeks without income is going to hurt and hurt many!
Its interesting - we were discussing about people being told to not come in, or those without holidays... how do you pay your mortgage and loans if you have no income.. This could go on for days or months....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
Its interesting - we were discussing about people being told to not come in, or those without holidays... how do you pay your mortgage and loans if you have no income.. This could go on for days or months....

No one knows. In Italy apparently they are suspending payments.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/486760-italy-suspends-mortgage-payments-during-coronavirus

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »
From a corporate perspective this is a daily evolving situation. Management with HR/HSEE teams will be working through all sorts of what if scenarios and releasing them as/when required. We were asked to test remote connectivity last week at scale and today we've been told to work from home until at least the end of March. We are also able to be paid up to 2 weeks on top of our sick/AL entitlements if we are confirmed and/or need to self isolate, this was introduced a few days ago. That said my wife's work is running BAU, so YMMV.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 04:17:42 PM »
Quote from: D4D
From a corporate perspective this is a daily evolving situation. Management with HR/HSEE teams will be working through all sorts of what if scenarios and releasing them as/when required.
yep, been working flat out today getting laptops sorted for Payroll and Finance important people... etc...
nobody knows whats going on here there and anywhere... but most of our work cant be done from home... Mine can :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 05:23:10 PM »
I guess at times like this many workers, those on contract etc, will find out what sort of people they are working for.

Not all bosses are bastards, but a lot are.

As a retiree I say all the best to those caught up in this. I have my own issues, like the plummeting vaiue of my super fund. But I am debt free so that is what is. I  might run out of money when I’m 83 instead of 86.

Still planning a trip to Tassie next month. Stay healthy Taswegians. 
The following users thanked this post: ADTradie

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 05:42:52 PM »
From a corporate perspective this is a daily evolving situation. Management with HR/HSEE teams will be working through all sorts of what if scenarios and releasing them as/when required. We were asked to test remote connectivity last week at scale and today we've been told to work from home until at least the end of March. We are also able to be paid up to 2 weeks on top of our sick/AL entitlements if we are confirmed and/or need to self isolate, this was introduced a few days ago. That said my wife's work is running BAU, so YMMV.
We are doing a mass work from home trial today to "stress test" the remote access systems. I occasionally work from home anyway and so far all is good.  We have also been given the option of working from home next week. I'm also a contractor, so have no certainty of work but I'm not living week to week either.

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 05:57:20 PM »
So how do us tradesman, work from home???

??? ??? ???
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »
I see now that Dutton has just tested positive after a trip to the USA.  Sooner we shut all non essential overseas travel the better...especially to regions where the virus is..

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 06:34:22 PM »
I see now that Dutton has just tested positive after a trip to the USA.  Sooner we shut all non essential overseas travel the better...especially to regions where the virus is..
Yep, but is ScoMo going to self -quarantine himself since he was with Dutton in a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday? No, claims to have advice that he doesn't need to. Another completely tone-deaf response from Scotty from Marketing. And just to be sure, he will also go to the footy tomorrow night and probably Church on Sunday.

It's times like this, I wish Trump was our president. At least he is open and decisive.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 06:46:25 PM »
Yep, but is ScoMo going to self -quarantine himself since he was with Dutton in a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday? No, claims to have advice that he doesn't need to. Another completely tone-deaf response from Scotty from Marketing. And just to be sure, he will also go to the footy tomorrow night and probably Church on Sunday.

It's times like this, I wish Trump was our president. At least he is open and decisive.
]

Scummo is looking like a complete idiot at the moment...He,s off to the footy but has seen theF1 race abandoned due to the virus. Govt is advising not to attend crowds of 500 or more and yet this idiot is going to the footy.  He never has been a leader and never will be. I would have thought that anyone coming into contact with Dutton would automatically be put in quarantine...especially govt pollies..No wonder people are getting frustrated...why cant we get honest, informative info from the medical fraternity and tell the pollies to f off with their bullShit grandstanding and hypocrisy

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 06:47:09 PM »
We have been advised that only necessary travel out of communities is recommended at the moment, we are heading into Alice Springs for a weekend of R and R.

The concern is that if the virus hits any remote community then there could be major issues with a large loss of life due to the poor health of the indigenous in communities. We are unsure as yet whether the clinic here can test for the virus. We will need to find this out.  As we manager the community store, if it does hit then we would get it for sure. The company we work for working with the NT Govt  to follow any recommendations that are forthcoming. 

Any non essential work or travel to communities has been put on hold for a while.

Time will tell I suppose.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:08 PM »
Close the borders, Bring in marshal law,  set up mobile hospitals if needed,  limit all movement to esential local travel only  and everyone bunkers down for a minimum of  xxx  weeks at home ..
That way you control and isolate out breaks and can target them easier till the cycle is broken ..  Dont laugh it could be coming sooner rather than later .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:25:43 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »
Dont laugh it could should be coming sooner rather than later .

FTFY, Edz!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 09:46:21 AM »
Why not send all the infected cases to Christmas Island?  Dutton would appreciate it as he said its an excellent place?  It would free up hospital beds and guarantee isolation....

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 09:58:02 AM »
Close the borders, Bring in marshal law,  set up mobile hospitals if needed,  limit all movement to esential local travel only  and everyone bunkers down for a minimum of  xxx  weeks at home ..
That way you control and isolate out breaks and can target them easier till the cycle is broken ..  Dont laugh it could be coming sooner rather than later .

It will be months not weeks, this thing isn't going away quickly. The thing about the preventative measures as being bought in at the moment, is as others have mentioned is to slow down the incidence rate to allow the health system to cope, this hopefully spreads the critical cases over an extended period to allow those that need it to get access to medical attention to get it, the flip side of that is this is going to be a thing for many months, not weeks. Hubei is coming up to two months of far more serious lockdowns than we are looking at at the moment with no end in sight, the lockdowns there (similar to what you have said) are only about slowing down the spread, there is no real possibility of stopping the virus now, it's about management. Eventually, there will either be a vaccine that helps to wipe it out (at least a year before it will be available), or it will be that due to 60%+ people having had it, herd immunity should kick in.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
Why not send all the infected cases to Christmas Island?  Dutton would appreciate it as he said its an excellent place?  It would free up hospital beds and guarantee isolation....

They already did that with some that returned from the infected cruises. The isolation is good for those that may have been exposed, once the case is confirmed through, Hospitals are best equipped to deal with them with the number we have at the moment. As the numbers continue to rise though, it will only be the bad cases that get hospitalised. As I mentioned in my previous comment, there is no real possibility of containment stopping it now, its just about management.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 11:20:15 AM »
Then there is the employment factor ... Flight center closing 100 stores is only the tip of the iceberg here...

Travel industry and food will be massively hit.. Lots of business wont recover from this at all.

We went to our fav chinese restaurant Thursday night, we were first customers all week they had..

Not just AU either

The Pierer Mobility Group, including KTM, Husqvarna and GasGas, Europe’s largest motorcycle manufacturer, will be interrupting operation and production late this month through until April 10. Due to the impact of the coronavirus on northern Italy, and the possibility of supply chain interruptions due to effected outside suppliers, staff will be sent on a two week company vacation from March 30 to April 10
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home